WineBoard
Wine choice for a romantic evening - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Wine choice for a romantic evening (/thread-18705.html)

- brbeck936 - 12-30-2004

I am brand new to wines. My wife and I are taking a weekend trip and I would like to surprise her with a nice bottle of wine or champagne. I have no idea what to choose...red or white, etc. This wine will be consumed well after dinner. Also, there are no stores to buy wine from in my area, other than the grocery store. HELP!!!

- Innkeeper - 12-30-2004

Hi Brbeck, and welcome to the Wine Board. Go to the grocery store and look for the Sparkling Wine (bubbly) section. Hopefully they will have a Spanish Cava. If not check what do have at a price you can afford. "Brut" is bone dry. "Extra Dry" means off dry. You are just going to have to take my word on this. Somehow, get the bottle ice cold before opening.

- brbeck936 - 12-30-2004

OK...what does dry and off-dry refer to? Which would be the better choice? My wife does like to drink wine, however it is very socially. I know that the grocery store has a pretty large selection of wines, but only about three brands of sparkling (bubbly). Thanks!

- Drew - 12-30-2004

IK's right on with the bubbly and for an added extra look for Bonny Doon Framboise. A delicious raspberry liquor at around $12. Serve with the bubbly and chocolate and you'll be a "lucky" guy. Below is the link for the Framboise. BTW, extra dry is sweeter than Brut. What are your choices from the store re. to sparkling/champagne?

Drew

http://www.bonnydoonvineyard.com/wine/view/61

[This message has been edited by Drew (edited 12-30-2004).]

- brbeck936 - 12-30-2004

By the way...I'd like to keep the price range in the $50s or less. We do have a liquor store near the area, but they do not carry any champagne. They seem to carry almost everything else.

[This message has been edited by brbeck936 (edited 12-30-2004).]

- Drew - 12-30-2004

So let me understand...no Champagne and no domestic sparkling wine?

Drew

- brbeck936 - 12-30-2004

Yes, the grocery store does have a few types. I can't remember the names. I'll get them and pass them on to you. Thanks!

Remember, I am in Alabama. Most everyone down here just drinks beer. Cheap beer. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by brbeck936 (edited 12-30-2004).]

- joeyz6 - 12-30-2004

A liquor store with no sparklers? Yikes ...

When you go to the the grocery store, another thing to look for is "méthode champenoise" written on the bottle. The difference between "dry" and "off-dry" is how sweet the wine is. "Off-dry" has a little bit of sweetness, whereas "dry" has virtually none. You shouldn't have any problem finding a good sparkler for $50.

- Zinner - 12-31-2004

Hi brbeck,

Your problem is not being in Alabama -- I assure you there are plenty of wine drinkers in our state. The problem is that you are out in the hinterlands and small towns in many states don't have especially good choices in wines. If you were near Birmingham, Huntsville or Tuscaloosa, you could find almost any type wine you'd fancy. In Birmingham, some of our grocery stores have wine departments and consultants that rival fine wine shops.

As far as I can figure out, Anniston is the closest larger town and I was once told they have a nice wine store in a location that used to be a filling station, but the person who told me this didn't know the name. And I haven't been there to check it out.

If your local liquor store is an ABC store, I believe they've quit the wine business here. They never had anyone who knew diddly squat about wine anyhow. It's a good thing, I expect.

If you're stuck with your local grocery and can give us a hint of what they carry, we can advise you on the best choice. If you know anything that your wife liked in the past, that's helpful too.

But you might take comfort that if you come up with anything at all, your wife will probably appreciate that you thought about her whether she's crazy about the wine or not. If there's a favorite food treat, spring for that too. Mostly you can't go wrong with chocolate. Just present the wine and food to her in a way that lets her know that you were thinking about her and trying to please her. She should be delighted and all will be well.

[This message has been edited by Zinner (edited 12-30-2004).]

- winoweenie - 12-31-2004

Well said Zinner. WW

- brbeck936 - 12-31-2004

Everyone,

The only brands that the grocery store carries is Tott's and Astor (I think). They had a modest selection of things like White Zinfandel (the cheaper brands), chardonnay, merlot, etc. They had a lot of the old standby-Boone's Farm and Arbor Mist. I remember seeing the E & J Gallo name a lot also. That's about it. The ABC store did stop carrying wines, so I am stuck with what I have. I am going to Tennessee (Gatlinburg), so I don't know if there are any places up there to buy from. I appreciate all the responses. You have a been a big help thus far!

I know that my wife has drank red wines in the past, so that is the only info I have to go on.

[This message has been edited by brbeck936 (edited 12-31-2004).]

- Zinner - 12-31-2004

That's about what I was afraid of -- no one at the store knows wine, so they get what's most readily available, hoping to sell some of it.

If there's a Pinot Grigio(white wine), that's one that a lot of people like. Failing that, perhaps whichever Chardonnay(if she likes white) or Merlot(if she likes red) looks best to you.

It's been a long, long time since I've been to Gatlinburg, but perhaps they do have some wine. Ask in one of the hotels or restaurants to find out where to buy wine. Or order something in a restaurant, but remember that the most expensive wine is not necessarily the best. Sparkling wine is always celebratory. Or get something that goes with the food you order.

But do remember, the wine is only a small part of your weekend, so if you can't get exactly what you want, don't let it stress you out. When she realizes that you have given thought to pleasing her, that should light things right up.

Enjoy yourselves and Happy New Year!

- lizardbrains - 01-02-2005

I understand that you're in the "boonies", but do you have a Costco within a drive's distance? Costco has a great selection of wine.

As far as a good "champagne"/sparkling wine... My DH and I really like the Moet et Chandon (White Star) for $30. I found it at the grocery store (we're in CA), but it's a popular enough one that I would think/hope that you could find it SOMEWHERE between AL and TN!

Of course, the others on this board are able to give you more educated/experienced advice in order to find one that would really impress, but I figured I'd throw the brand out to you to give you something to look for. My DH is not interested in wine, and thinks all champagne tastes like skunk (I'm working on him!), but he liked the Moet et Chandon.

Good luck!

-Elizabeth