WineBoard
dry red wine - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: dry red wine (/thread-18691.html)

- ftdad - 07-17-2003

Hello all, this is my first post on this site but you all seem both friendly and knowledgeable so i'll ask my question. I am a closet teetotaler(10 years) but would like to "come out" because of the seemingly many health benefits of wine. My blood pressure is borderline high. My wife thinks i should try a couple of glasses a night to see if this helps my pressure. I am ashamed to say that i never was crazy about wine. However, before i stopped drinking i remember trying this red wine that was so dry that i thought i was sipping air. I LOVED IT! Any input and suggestions would be appreciated. I am totally illiterate when it comes to the many types of wine, but i know i like the dry stuff. Thanks for your time.

- Innkeeper - 07-17-2003

Hi Dad, and welcome to the Wine Board. Fortunately for you, almost all red wine is dry. One that tastes drier to me (tasting dry and being dry are two different things) is California Petite Sirah. Some of these have to be aged for some time, so be careful. One that is immediately approachable is Parducci Petite Sirah. Check with your retailer regarding others.

- Babywewe - 07-17-2003

A few glass's a night?!

Then you would have other things to worry about... like AA meetings [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- winoweenie - 07-18-2003

Hi Ftdad and welcome to the board. Go to your local wine shop and explain what you're looking for. Try several different red varietals and wineries till one rings the bell. You'll find most Cabernets, Syrahs, and Zinfandels are dry as you describe it. Now experiment until you find the ones you like best.And believe me, if 2 glasses a nite would have you seeking the 10 steps, They'd have to invent a program for Moi. WW

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 07-18-2003).]

- Innkeeper - 07-18-2003

Actually WW is in the minus twenty step program; one step forward and two steps back.

- wondersofwine - 07-18-2003

I'm not sure that wine lowers blood pressure, but in moderation it has other health benefits. Bucko is our resident doctor, but I think for high blood pressure you need to limit salt intake and sometimes need medication as well. Have you seen a physician about your blood pressure? Wouldn't want you to rely completely on the benefits of wine and ignore other measures.

- Thomas - 07-18-2003

From what I understand, moderate wine consumption helps to lower blood pressure too. But Bucko will have weigh in on that.

I know babywewe was joking, but 2 glasses of wine each day is the recommended moderate consumption for health, and whenever anyone in the medical profession recommends alcohol of any sort, the quantity is usually on the conservative side.

- NorCalGirl - 07-18-2003

Just read this month (article in Real Simple magazine) that moderate weekly intake is no more than 14 (5oz) servings a week for a woman....Always wondered what "moderate" meant - if 14 is the magic number, I'm probably okay most weeks :-)

- Babywewe - 07-18-2003

I was totally joking about AA.
14 servings is moderate? - that sounds like a lot but 5oz's is'nt a very much.

- Thomas - 07-19-2003

5 oz, equals 1 glass; 2 glasses a day (10 oz.) multiplied by 7 days equals 14 glasses a week.

Approx. 25 oz. per bottle--10 oz. is less than half a bottle. So, if the female gets only 10 oz., then the male gets the excess--I keep telling this to my wife...

By my standards, the above certainly is moderate consumption.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 07-19-2003).]

- dananne - 07-19-2003

Very good math, Foodie.

You are a wise and learned man, and I will be presenting your logical and detailed calculations to the wife.

I think it's a terrible shame to leave those poor, little 5 oz. left all alone at the bottom of the bottle. I'm sure they miss their friends, and would be happy to join them nightly.

[img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- ftdad - 07-19-2003

Wow! You all feed off of each other don't you. Yes, i limit my salt intake i don't add salt to anything, yes i have seen a doctor, yes i lost 35lbs now at 185, the doctor dosen't want to put me on medication because i have borderline high pressure. So i have read that wine helps. So thanks for your replies and concern. I am having a hard time finding innkeeper's Parducci Petite Sirah. Can i buy this wine online somewhere. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

- Drew - 07-19-2003

"However, before i stopped drinking i remember trying this red wine that was so dry that i thought i was sipping air..."

Ftdad, are you describing a "smooth as silk, easy drinking" wine sensation? If so most young petite sirahs will disappoint as they tend to be very tannic wines with mouth puckering, drying tannins. Could you elaborate...we don't want to recommend the wrong wine.

Drew

- randery - 07-19-2003

Ftdad. I'm a novice as well. I recently had a Blackstone 85/15 cab/merlot blend that was pretty velvety although it could not be described as very dry. Also there are some inexpensive ($10-$20)Bordeaux's from the St. Emilion and Pomerol region of Bordeax with a dominant merlot blend that have similar mouth feel. I like those. In any event the experts on this board suggested some months ago that newbies simply sample various regions and blends. I'm really enjoying that assignment! The upshot is that its alot of fun experimenting and, who knows, you may discover flavors and sensory experiences you never would have imagined in a bottle of wine.

[This message has been edited by randery (edited 07-19-2003).]

- ftdad - 07-20-2003

Drew, thanks for the reply. The mouth puckering is what i don't like about the wines i have tried. I think i am looking for the "smooth as silk, easy drinking" wine sensation. Randery, thanks for the suggestions,i will try and find them.

- Drew - 07-20-2003

Go grab a bottle of the 2002 South African Excelsior Cabernet Sauvignon ($8)....smooth as IK and Hotwine preppin' dinner on a cool summer eve. Also try the 2001 or 2002 Paringa(Australia) merlot or the 2001, 2002 Castle Rock Pinot Noir (California)...all smoooth and silky.

Drew

[This message has been edited by Drew (edited 07-20-2003).]