WineBoard
Need help - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Need help (/thread-18682.html)

Pages: 1 2

- moochiebean - 05-12-2003

Hi Everyone .. I'm new here and very excited that I came accross this site. I have read just a few posts today and I know I will enjoy when I have more time to read. Here is my question:

I had a wonderful french wine yesterday called "Solaris" but I didn't get the year of the bottle. Does any one know of the wine and what was the best year ?

Thanks

- wondersofwine - 05-12-2003

Welcome to this wine site. I'm not able to answer your question. Maybe someone else on the forum can. If you had it at a restaurant or lounge, you might call there and ask for specifics. I too sometimes fail to note the vintage (especially at a restaurant or lounge where I'm ordering by the glass) and then I regret my incomplete information. Was it a red wine or white wine? Do you know what region it was from (such as Rhone or Provence?)

- moochiebean - 05-12-2003

I really don't know the region .. I think the name was Con Solare (I tried to search the other spelling w/no luck) and the label was very dark. The cost was $100 per bottle and it is a red.

[This message has been edited by moochiebean (edited 05-12-2003).]

- hotwine - 05-12-2003

Sounds like Col Solare, a proprietary New World blend. Here's what wine.com has to say:

A blend of new world fruit and old world finesse – the brainchild of Antinori and Chateau Ste. Michelle.

Ripe plum and blackberry aromas meld with a hint of toasty vanilla and mocha. Blackberry flavors complemented by black cherry and cassis provide for a rich, concentrated impression, and a hint of spicy anise enhances the sweet finish. This is a wine of exceptional balance and depth that should continue to improve in the bottle for years to come.

Blend: 70% Cabernet Sauvignon, 25% Merlot, 3% Syrah and 2% Malbec.

Alcohol: 14.4%

Spec's in Houston carries it for $62.92.

- moochiebean - 05-13-2003

That is it !!! Now .. what wine could compare to Col Solare without the price tag ?

- hotwine - 05-13-2003

That's a "Meritage" (proprietary blend) and you're unlikely to find one that carries that monicker at a bargain price. However, that's basically a Bordeaux-style blend, so you could start your search for a rough comparable in the Bordeaux category below. I posted on one last night, Ch. de Lisse, that was only $12.49, but it wasn't a big wine at all. Part of the fun is in the hunt.

[This message has been edited by hotwine (edited 05-13-2003).]

- Innkeeper - 05-13-2003

As I posted on another thread yesterday, the best value I have found in a California Meritage is from Mount Palomer Winery in Temucula. They produce a Meritage that sells for $18, and is as good as many that sell for as much as $80 elsewhere in the state. The bad news is that distribution is limited outside of the winery itself.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 05-14-2003).]

- wondersofwine - 05-13-2003

I was going to suggest Andrew Will Sorella (a Bordeaux-like blend from Washington State) but I see that the 2000 vintage costs almost as much as the Col Solare. It was listed at $57 at some Northwestern wine shops. The blend is 65% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Merlot, and 15% Cabernet Franc (no Syrah listed). Robert Parket gave it 92-94 points and the Wine Advocate remarks on flavors of cassis, blackberries and cherries with a long, pure, flavor-packed finish. You might be inclined instead to seek a Bordeaux (Paulliac perhaps) in the $25-$35 range.

- winoweenie - 05-13-2003

Ik you're stretching your enthusiam slightly,IMHO. Don't think the Palomar offering would zap the Flora Trilogy, The B.V. Tapestry, the Raymond Generations, Beringer Alluvium, Ch, St. Jean Cinq Cepages, Robert Craig Affinity,Ch Montelena Calistoga Cuvee,Justin Isosocles, Conn Creek Anthology, Livingston Moffitt, Cain Five, Viader Meritage, AD Infitum.You can buy some world class wines on release for that 80 buck figure. Might want to suggest you try to find the Lyeth Meritage, or the Estancia Meritage both a consistantly tasty morsel from solid producers. WW

- stevebody - 05-13-2003

Mooch,

I'm a little puzzled by the fact that almost every wine suggested as a replacement for the (outrageously) pricey Col Solare, a wine produced from Columbia Valley grapes, was from California. The Sorella is a WA wine but not much like the Col Solare; is, IMHO, a whole lot better.

There is no shortage whatever of WA Bordeaux blends, ranging from the outstanding Snoqualmie Cab-Merlot at $7.99 to the limp, uninspired Solesce from Brian Carter at FIFTY-EIGHT F%#*@%* DOLLARS, from a winemaker whose sole claim to fame is that he was the vintner at Washington Hills, one of the most flaccid wineries in this state. In between, you have the fine Hedges Three Vineyards, a steal at $17.99; the Walla Walla Vintners Table Red at $26; the Andrew Will Cuvee Lucia Table Red at $26; the excellent L'Ecole No. 41 Schoolhouse Red(about $18) and Apogee (about $36); the Waterbrook Melange ($10)and Meritage (30-ish); the DeLille D2 ($33); the very fine DiStefano Meritage ($15); the good-ish Three Rivers Table Red (about $16); the Betz Table Red at about $28; and an obscure, excellent Oregon wine made from WA grapes, the Cuneo Red Wine. Mike Dunham of Dunham Cellars is releasing his own little table red soon, to be called Three Legged Red, after his dog.

There is a real difference between WA and CA wines, usually with CA being better overall but WA is gaining yearly and the wines, many times, express terroir better than the CA wines. The Col Solare is very much about terroir. All the wines I mentioned are from good to spectacular (Walla Walla Vintners, L'Ecole, DeLille, and Andrew Will, especially) and all are less than half that $80 price tag.

[This message has been edited by stevebody (edited 05-13-2003).]

- Innkeeper - 05-13-2003

Could be.

- winoweenie - 05-14-2003

Right on there SB. My post was not to suggest wines to replace the Solare but just a small question addressed to IK. I agree with your reccommendations heartily with the ones I've had and as previously discussed am also enthusiastic about the quality of wines in your fair state. I will stand by the assement I made that these are some really serious Meritage wines and are all well-made examples of fine Calif winemaking and are welcome additions to anyones cellar. WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

- stevebody - 05-14-2003

Oops...no criticism of the CA wines intended. The Estancia Meritage, IMHO, is one of the most overlooked and underappreciated bottles I have to sell. Generally, I prefer those bottles mentioned to the WA ones for my own consumption.

Which reminds me...maybe this isn't the proper place to ask this but what the hey...What exactly is the deal with the term "Meritage"? The way I heard it, it was a licensed property of a group of California wineries, with new members welcome but the name restricted as to content and membership. Now, we have wineries like DiStefano, here in Woodinville, using it on their labels. Anybody familiar with this? I know it was originally a marketing thing and a way to classify wines that didn't really have any more appealing handle than "red table wine" before. Whassup wi dat?

- moochiebean - 05-14-2003

Thanks to all who posted recommendations ... I have alot to sample (hiccup) and will be sure to post my opinion on the ones that were suggested. Does it matter what year I purchase ??

SB .. you mentioned that you sell wine. How could I see what you have to offer ?

- Innkeeper - 05-14-2003

www.esquin.com

- Kcwhippet - 05-14-2003

DiStefano is a member of the Meritage Association.
Interestingly, Estancia, as such, is not a member, but Franciscan Oakville Estate is, which I suppose provides the connection.

[This message has been edited by Kcwhippet (edited 05-14-2003).]

- moochiebean - 05-14-2003

Ok .. so here is my selection to sample:

00-Hedges Cabernet Merlot Syrah
2000-ESTANCIA MERLOT SONOMA (iffy)
2000-ESTANCIA CABERNET SAUVIGNON (iffy)
2001-PERENNIAL FLOWERS VINEYARDS
1997-WATERBROOK MERITAGE RED
01-Liberty School Cabernet
1999-CH ST MICHELLE CABERNET CANOE RIDGE (iffy)
1999-CH STE MICHELLE CABERNET COLD CREEK
00-Russell Creek Cabernet Walla Walla
00-Ste. Michelle Merlot Indian Wells (iffy)
NV-Bookwalter Red Table Wine Lot #14
01-Waterbrook Melange

If anyone has tried these selections ... your opinion is always welcome.

- winoweenie - 05-14-2003

SB the Napa Wine group that were making blended wines got together and decided it would be advantageous to have a Naming contest. After 14 or 18000 entries(whatever), the winning entry was Meritage. The winner received a case of the stuff made by each of the wineries, and VOILA!, A NEW term was introduced into the flowery prose of defining wine, taking it from the same-ole-same-ole to a new same-ole.WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- vinman - 05-14-2003

A couple of wines come to mind:
Rosemount GSM, Hedges, Randalls Cigere Volant,Bealieu's Beauzeaux, and Andrew Will's gorgeous Champoux...it's where we gotta be...

- moochiebean - 05-15-2003

hmmmmm.....no one gave thumbs up or thumbs down for my selections .... I'm worried !!

*grin*