WineBoard
De-alcoholized Wines - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: De-alcoholized Wines (/thread-18665.html)

- Cable Guy - 11-06-2000

Just wondering if anyone knows of a Web site for ordering de-alocoholized wines or of a place to send wines to have them removed of alcohol.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

- Drew - 11-06-2000

Why???? What's the point? That's like removing the sugar from chocolate, the fat from butter, acid from lemon, orgasm from sex....get the picture?

Drew

- Thomas - 11-07-2000

There is such a thing as grape juice.

Wine without alcohol is more than just an oxymoron, it is an abomination!

- mrdutton - 11-07-2000

Cable Guy, mayhaps you asked the right question at the wrong place (GRIN). Welcome to the wine board, some wine shops and liquor stores sell de-alcoholized wine. Ask around at your local shops and you might find some.

However, bear in mind that is is not alcohol free............. for that you really do need to consider drinking grape juice.

Somewhere on this Wine Board is a discussion about alcohol-free wine that is a bit more in depth than you are finding in this thread.

Use the board's search feature and you might find the thread. Frankly, though, I have to side with Foodie's comment because that is also my opinion. Wine, by definition is fermented grapes; that means alcohol is present.

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 11-07-2000).]

- Bucko - 11-07-2000

Ariel makes the non-alcohol wine. Check out their web site:
http://www.arielvineyards.com/

Some people have religious convictions that prevent alcohol yet they enjoy a "glass of wine." Let's not look down our noses.

Bucko

- Cable Guy - 11-07-2000

Nice board!

Ask one innocent question and get flamed.
Thanks for the info on Ariel, anyway.

- Bucko - 11-07-2000

C.G., you didn't get flamed -- you'd KNOW flammed.... people just don't usually go to a wine geek board and ask about Ariel wines. Anyway, good luck on the search. People here are genuine AND friendly, just a little spirited.

Bucko

- Thomas - 11-08-2000

Flamed? Plain and simple: there is no such thing as wine without alcohol; that is grape juice.The definition of the word, wine, includes alcohol.

To some, this might seem like I am being a purist, but I like clarity. Call it wine when it is wine; call it juice when it is juice. If it has been made into wine and then de-alcoholized, well, what is the point of the product? To get more money from the consumer than grape juice commands?

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 11-08-2000).]

- mrdutton - 11-08-2000

Cable Guy..................... you did not get flammed. You got some diverse and honest answers to your question.

I, also, feel somewhat offended. Reason being: that you would tell us you were insulted.

I really don't think you were. People here speak their minds. Not much wrong with doing that.

Again, wine, by definition, contains alcohol. Wine that is advertised as being de-alcoholized still contains a very small percentage of alcohol. If it is advertised as being totally alcohol free, then it is not wine it is juice.

To quote directly from Ariel's web-site:

Do Ariel wines contain any alcohol?

It is physically impossible to remove 100% of the alcohol from a fermented beverage. The legal definition of a non-alcoholic beverage requires a product to contain less than 1/2 of 1% of alcohol. Ariel non-alcoholic wines contain less alcohol than most fresh squeezed orange juice!

My words follow: But they do contain some alcohol. Please read what they say. It is physically impossible to remove all of the alcohol from a fermented beverage.

There seems to me to be a big difference between a flame and and the truth. Sorry, I don't think you were dis-respected.

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 11-08-2000).]

- winoweenie - 11-09-2000

Guys, The Weenie is back and from the looks of the answers to Cable-Guys imbicilic question posted on the WINE BOARD, just in the nick. Drew, Foodie and the Buckster almost gave the answer but stopped short. Cable Guy, when you want a question answered in depth about any subject that requires passion and devotion, go to a place that apposses the premise. I.E. Billy Graham, MADD, SADD, etc. We Be WINE drinkers on this here site and as friewndly to any and all kindred souls. winoweenie P.S. The way I personally de-alcohol wines is I drink them suckers. What comes out is devoid of all that demon stuff.

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 11-09-2000).]