WineBoard
Please help me out - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Please help me out (/thread-18652.html)

- Machforce1 - 01-08-2002

Like many other fellow wine drinkers, I am very new to the world of wines. Just a month ago I didn't think there was much to choosing and drinking a wine, however, I have discovered that nothing could be further from the truth. As I try to absorb information at an astronomical rate, I am finding that wine is a much more complex subject than I ever gave it credit for being. Shame on me.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read my question. I hope I don't become annoying to you all, but I admit, I have many questions. I apologize in advance as some or all of my questions may annoy members as they will probably be basic and simplistic inquires which may have been covered a thousand times here. Again, I apologize. I am certainly not here to annoy anyone. I just want to learn as much as I can.

Okay, so far I've tried several Merlots, Red Zinfandels, and ports. I must say that my favorite so far has been Fonseca's 20 year old tawny port. I thought that it was absolutely fantastic. Of the Merlots that I've tried, I can honestly say I haven't liked any of them. I can't remember the names of all of them, but I do know that one of them was Kendall Jackson. I know that isn't much help. But the bottom line is that I wasn't impressed with the Merlots I've tried so far. There is something about them that just doesn't do it for me. I have discovered that I like fruity wines, but with body. The light, crisp wines are good too, but I do like a wine with body. I guess that explains my taste for tawny port. I just bought a bottle of Cline 1999 Red Zin and I'm also going to try the 2001 Duboeuf Nouveau. I hear these are fruity wines.

So, if one were to like a fruity wine, but a wine with body, what would you recommend one to buy (red wine)? Thanks again for taking the time to read my post. I appreciate it.

- Innkeeper - 01-08-2002

Hi Match, and welcome to the Wine Board. Don't worry about not liking merlot. Most American and other New World merlot is one dimentional, often being overwhelmed by oak.

Try Western American syrah. There are some great ones from Washington State, Oregon, and parts of California such as the Central Coast. They should meet all your requirements. Hopefully you are looking for a table wine to have with food. The Port, which is wonderful, is a dessert wine.

- mrdutton - 02-05-2002

Try a variety of RED Zinfandel wines. Especially if you find you liked the Cline that you bought.

Try Rancho Zabaco on for size. Then get a hold of a bottle of Zinfandel from Bonny Doon and try it. Then keep branching out.

On another note, if you find you like the Syrah from California and the Shiraz from Australia then step up a notch or two and try the wines from southern France.