WineBoard
Does anyone else drink blends? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Does anyone else drink blends? (/thread-18601.html)

- tomsch - 06-04-2002

I've been on a blend kick lately mainly because it's always an interesting surprise just what combination of grapes a maker will use. Last night we opened a bottle of Latcham "Red Table Wine". The wine was combined with a citrus-chicken salad. Latcham is a local wine (Northern Cal) that also makes one of our favorite Zins.
This particular wine was big and bold with a long finish. Lots of berry and a slight smokey flavor.
Some of your other favorite blends include Hannah 1999 Blend, Sierra Vista Lynelle, and Oakstone Slug Gultch Red. Since we live within 20 miles of all the great El Dorado/Almador county wines it is fun to pick out some more obscure blends and give them a try.

- Innkeeper - 06-04-2002

Right up your ally. Beat feet to Plymouth, and visit Easton/Terre Rouge. The Terre Rouge Enigma is the best white I've had in several years. It is an Upper Rhone type blend. The Easton Natoma is a light blend centered around sauvignon blanc. It is a wonderful summer quaffer. For reds try Terre Rouge Tete-a-Tete which is a Southern Rhone blend, and Terre Rouge Noir which is more like a CDP. While you're there you might check out some of their straights. The Easton Barbera is one of best made in America.

- tomsch - 06-04-2002

Thanks Innkeeper! I'll be sure to give these wines a try.... and soon!

- Kcwhippet - 06-04-2002

If you like blends, you'll love David Coffaro wines. He has some of the wildest blends out there. For instance, his 2001 Zinfandel has, Zin, Petite Sirah, Cabernet Sauvignon and Carignan. His anticipated 2002 Zin will be composed of Zin, Petite Sirah, Carignan, Barbera and Cabernet Sauvignon. He certainly does look ahead because the grapes are still growing on the vines and will be for another four months or so. He's located in Geyserville, and if you want to check him out go to www.coffaro.com.

- winoweenie - 06-04-2002

Hi Tomsch. You don' be the Lone Ranger when it comes to liking blends. Almost all of the great wines vinted in the world including the major Claif wineries have turned to blending. Not sure of the exact percentage but am sure over 80% of all the great Bordeaux' are blends. All of the Rhones are blends and even the great Al Braunstein of Diamond Creek Vineyards admits to a field blend of approx 5% merlot in his world class cabernets. Blends be good! Blends Sing. WW

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 06-04-2002).]

- vinman - 06-04-2002

Kcwhippet,
Thanks for the info on the blends. Have surprised with any number of blends recommended by the forum!

- Kcwhippet - 06-05-2002

WW,

Have I missed something in my wine education all these years? What, pray tell, are "Claif wineries"?

- winoweenie - 06-05-2002

Daddy Fat-Fingers strikes agin'. WW

- Kcwhippet - 06-05-2002

Still wondering what Claif should have been.

- JohnG - 06-05-2002

It should've been "Calif", right?

It's my understanding that wines have been blended throughout history, and that single varietal wines are a relatively more recent development. In fact, skillful blending is a significant part of the art of wine making, allowing one to balance the strengths and weaknesses of different grapes, or grapes from different areas.

A couple of my favorite blends -- offering great bang for the buck -- come from Bonny Doon (Big House Red and White) and Coppola (Rosso & Bianco).

- Kcwhippet - 06-05-2002

CALIF - of course!! Duh. How the synapses do sputter with advancing age.

- Thomas - 06-05-2002

Blending is the true art of winemaking.
Having said that. I also have to admit that Burgundians have done rather well perfecting the one-variety wine, if that is what they really do over there...

- wondersofwine - 06-05-2002

Also the Germans with Riesling grape.

- winoweenie - 06-05-2002

Guess I'se gotsa' qwit the abbrev of states and other thins! WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- winedope1 - 06-05-2002

nah, WW. jes' put out a language to language dictionary for us. : )

- Auburnwine - 06-07-2002

Uh, back to subject of blends.

I enjoy the Scarpantoni School Block blend (Cab/Merlot/Shiraz, I think). And several of the Aussie Grenache/Shiraz blends are crackerjack, like the d'Arenberg d'Arry's Original. Come to think of it, I've never anything other than joy from d'Arenberg wines.

- wondersofwine - 06-07-2002

Had an interesting blend of barbera and cabernet sauvignon (10% c.s.) at an Italian wine dinner last night. I'll put in more specifics in the Italian wines thread next week when I have my notes with me.

- cablover - 06-12-2002

If you can find it, Estancia Meritage is wonderful. It's available on their website if you can't locate it in a store.

- Drew - 06-12-2002

I have had many Estancia Meritage's and you must be oak tolerant, not a good blend in re. to food friendliness IMHO, but if you like oak...

Drew