WineBoard
Keeping Tasting Notes Organized - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Keeping Tasting Notes Organized (/thread-18600.html)

- Grape Stuff - 03-16-2004

I've finally decided to start writing notes down of all the wines I've been drinking (Even though I'm still not sure what to write...). Question is how do you guys organize it? do you keep a notebook? on the computer? do you organize by region, date consumed, varietal? Do yuo follow the same format? I'd like to start with a good approach so 6 months from now I don't have to go back and re-do everything.

thanks,

- Innkeeper - 03-16-2004

Just post them here, and use the search function to find them. The simplest format is year, name, source (including price and alcohol content), eye, nose, tongue tip, palate, finish, match.

- cheeps - 03-16-2004

I'm new to wines and started keeping a chart. Of course I have about 25 bottles of wine at the most at any one time, so it's fairly easy for me.

What I did was take notes as I was reading different books - the "general" stuff needed to know a riesling for example, the different regions in Germany, the different kinds Kabinett, Spatlese, etc., what other countries or regions make rieslings also, like Alsace, and what the differences are from one region to the next.

Then I made a separate chart for the specific wines I have. I just made a simple table with three columns. The first is the price, the second the EXACT name of the wine, vintage, every little detail I can glean off the label so if I want to buy more I know what to look for, and the last column is the tasting notes, when I opened it, what it looks like, smells like, tastes like, etc. Since I don't drink a bottle in one sitting, but over a few days or even a week or more (my bad!) I note if the taste changes over time for better or worse. When I finish the bottle, I "shade" the row out so I can keep track of what I currently have on hand as opposed to what I've already finished off. I just do it all in Word on the computer.

I figure that way I can take my notes with me to the store and understand what I'm finding and I also know what ones I like so I can buy more if they have it and what one's I don't like and won't buy again.

- hotwine - 03-16-2004

I generally post a TN here, then do a cut & paste and put it directly into the database (Celler! by Collectware). Also have a cellarbook, and started adding labels to it a few weeks ago, lifting them off the bottles with transparent contact paper. Went that route after not being able to remember a few labels on wines that I wanted more of (a mind is a terrible thing to lose...)

- Grape Stuff - 03-16-2004

Thanks, all good ideas. I'm not sure I'm ready to publicize my notes yet though! I think I'll start a spreadsheet so I can sort just about any way needed.

Thanks!

- Tastevin - 03-17-2004

Hello Grape Stuff, you might find it useful to also record type of closure e.g. cork (natural, synthetic, composite), screw cap. Believe me, one day it will be useful. T.

- californiagirl - 03-17-2004

A spreadsheet program is very helpful... I keep a smaller version on my pda for travels