WineBoard
Help me WOW them - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Help me WOW them (/thread-18548.html)

- winedummie - 12-11-2000

As my "name" suggests, I am a total dummie at this wine thing. My BILs, on the other hand, are quite expert. They drink expensive wines, which they happily share with us and I love, but the chances of me remembering the names are slim to none.

I would like to WOW them on Christmas Eve with a good bottle of wine, but since the family rule is no exchange of expensive gifts, I would like to Wow them less expensively, if possible. Any suggestions? Everyone seems to prefer a good red wine (some recently served by BIL from some Slavic country, Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia??),
however, the menu will be polish sausage imported from New Jersey (LOL) and pieroges.

Any and all help will be most welcome!

Tina the Wine Dummie

- Drew - 12-11-2000

Tina, can you give the board a price range of what's fair for you to spend? Also what kind of stuffing in the pieroges?

Drew

[This message has been edited by Drew (edited 12-11-2000).]

Sorry guys - like I said, I'm a newbie here. Maybe in the $15 to $25 range?? Pieroges will be potato/cheese and saurkraut stuffed.

Tina

[This message has been edited by winedummie (edited 12-11-2000).]

- Drew - 12-11-2000

Sounds like a nice red Zinfandal would be nice. 1997 Rancho Zabaco "Heritage vines" is very good and this board likes this wine a lot for $10. Bucko has been touting the 1999 Cline zin for under $10 as well as his Seinfeld "big boy" zin Derose for about $20. Go to the Zinfandel topic and check out the threads, there's a lot of suggestions there.

Drew

Thanks Drew! Took your advice about the Red Zin and headed to a wine shop where it turns out I knew the owner (from another context - LOL). He pointed me in the direction of a 1998 Napa Valley Red Zin from the Morisoti Vineyard called "Elyse". Hope I chose well. I was looking for some of those listed in the Red Zin thread, but a lot weren't available here in the center of the Funshine State. Maybe our local politicians/newsmen/voting officials have drunk them all up? Maybe I'll shop for them on line.

I guess I'll find out on Christmas Eve how I did and I'll keep you posted. Thanks for your help!

Tina

- winoweenie - 12-11-2000

Tina, you don` be no wine dummy. The Elyse " Morisoli " IS a killer zin. You`ll roll their socks down with that sucker. By-the-By, welcome to the board winoweenie

- winedummie - 12-12-2000

Thanks for the welcome winoweenie - LOL - great name!?!

Glad to hear someone thinks I made a good choice (actually glad to hear that someone has even HEARD of the wine I chose)!

Now that I know where to come to secretly seek advice that I can pretend I knew all along... Well, you'll be hearing a lot from me!

Thanks again!

Tina

- Auburnwine - 12-12-2002

Met the Elyse winemaker and the Elyse wines at the Seaside, Florida wine festival.

They make NOTHING bad. The Morisoli Zin and the Petit Syrah made me laugh out loud and do a little dance.