WineBoard
I don't know where to even start... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: I don't know where to even start... (/thread-18546.html)

- Kip - 09-04-2005

Greetings,

I been trying alot of fine beers and such and can't seemed to get hooked on any. I am starting to think that I don't like beer period. So, I want some advice on what a good introduction wine is,because I have no idea where to even start. Any suggestions?

- robr - 09-04-2005

Start at the beginning. Get a bottle of Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Chardonnay, and Pinot Noir (all Mondavi).

Mondavi is good wine, but not too expensive, that's why I recommend it.

Sit down and open all of them, and try each one. Eat a cracker or two between each tasting. Cheese is good too, but it can confuse your palate.

These four are probably the most popular varieties. Smell and taste, and decide which one (or ones) you like, and go from there.

Also, go to the book store and get a book on wine. I would suggest The Wine Bible to start.

BK

- Kip - 09-04-2005

Thanks alot for that suggestion! I just want a wine where I can sit back and relax, I don't really want to have like a wine for eating, but for my "special" occasions. Do you know what I mean?

- Kip - 09-04-2005

Well, I just checked out my local store and they do not carry that wine (www.thenslc.com). Which is dissapointing, they have tons of wines but too much to pick!

- Kcwhippet - 09-04-2005

Check a bit closer, Kip. I went to the web site (never been before) and searched under red wine from California and found at least 8 occurrences of Mondavi reds, including several Cabernet Sauvignons, Pinot Noir and Zinfandel. Try again - they're there.

- TheEngineer - 09-04-2005

Nova Scotia,...beautiful place! Capocheny is another Canadian but he lives on the other side of the country (BC) and he may have some other recommendations for you.

I checked the listing and there are a couple of brands that you can look out for.

Blackstone makes a decent drink, merlots are good.

For Canadian wineries, Mission Hill from BC is good and from Ontario, look for Inniskillin, Cave Springs and Chateau des Charmes as good starters. The site also lists a Kittling Ridge Icewine (sweet sweet) for $20 which is very cheap.

Just in case you want to try something across the pond, for something from France, you can try a CHATEAU MEYNEY ST. ESTEPHE ($56) which is a bit more than what is reasonable but with taxes included, its not much more than Ontario. A burgundy PINOT NOIR - LAFORET-J. DROUHIN can be had for $22.

If you want to try a white wine, there is a very nice one from RIESLING KABINETT WEHLENER SONNENUHR - DR. LOOSEN $22.99 (which is very fairly priced!!). This is a nice one.

Have fun!

- Kip - 09-04-2005

The wines are there? Oh boy, well sorry about that. And, many thanks for telling me it's there!

Nova Scotia is a province which I am very proud of. I am glad that you noticed that. You must of visited Nova Scotia at one point? Did you enjoy it? Also, thanks for all those suggestions as well!

- robr - 09-05-2005

Let us know what you discover. It's good discovered you don't really like beer. It's just so "pedestrian" and not as good for you anyway.

- TheEngineer - 09-05-2005

Kip,

I love NS. Some of my favourite and most scenic place in the world. Love Peggy's Cove and hopewell Cape and loved the Cabot Trail. Been there a couple of times and do spend some time in the Atlantic provinces due to work....though the NFLD'ers keep reminding me that they are also not really part of Canada. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

Bern, I love beer too! There are some really nice beers. Not totally sure if they need to be mutually exclusive of each other.

- Kip - 09-06-2005

Well bernkastler,

If you put it that way, I guess I think the same [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]. I did try some "fine" beer to give it a chance,such as the Liefmans Goudenband,Chimay Red,Duvel, and Hoegaarden Wit. The best one was the Hoegaarden Wit for me, even though I didn't enjoy it that much.

As for your responce TheEngII, I was glad you saw an authentic part of Nova Scotia. Even though the coast is impressive for scenery, there is some great sites inland where you wouldn't expect!

NFL people are very different from us, that is essential to remember! Hahah.

[This message has been edited by Kip (edited 09-06-2005).]

[This message has been edited by Kip (edited 09-06-2005).]

- Kcwhippet - 09-06-2005

Half my wife's grandparents came from NF (Bay Roberts). The rest came from Quebec. So, she's half Newfie and half Canuck. Those here that know her can tell you she got the best from each, because she's a wonderful person. I won out big time.

- TheEngineer - 09-06-2005

IMHO, the Cabot trail is the best driving road in North America and I have driven on the California Pacific Coast Highway and a few more obsure ones (Like Topanga Canyon road).

Great drive great scenary and great PEOPLE! I think people who were diverted there on 9-11 will attest to the graciousness and friendliness of the people who took them in. BTW, the main Christmas tree that is lite up in Downtown Boston every year still comes from Halifas, NS as a gift from that city for the help the City of Boston provided during the horrible explosion in WWI. Here is a quick History Recap on that.

At 7.30 a.m. on December 6, the French ship Mont-Blanc left Halifax's harbour. She was loaded with 2,300 tons of wet and dry picric acid, 200 tons of TNT, 10 tons of gun cotton and 35 tons of benzol: a highly explosive mixture. At the same time the Norwegian vessel Imo, moved into the entrance to the Narrows and after a series of ill-judged manoeuvres, the Imo struck the Mont-Blanc on the bow. The ship burned for twenty minutes, drifting until it rested against Pier 6, the busy, industrial north end of Halifax. Just before 9.05 a.m., the Mont-Blanc exploded. Not one piece of her remained beside the dock where she had finished her voyage. Fragments rained on the surrounding area.
Churches, houses, schools, factories, docks and ships were destroyed in the swath of the blast. Children who had stopped on their way to school, workmen lining the windows, families in their homes, sailors in their ships, died instantly. Injuries were frightful, blindness from the splintering glass adding to the shock and bewilderment. 12,000 houses were damaged or destroyed. The death toll rose to just over 1,900. About 250 bodies were never identified; many victims were never found.

Mercifully, rescue began quickly, with the thousands of well-disciplined troops and naval strength available. Word went out to the surrounding areas and they responded with commendable speed. Hospitals and places of shelter were soon overcrowded.

News of the disaster reached Boston the same morning. That very night a train loaded with supplies, together with medical personnel and members of the Public Safety Committee, left for Halifax. Help poured in from all over Canada and many parts of the world, with the continuing generosity of Massachusetts unforgettable. Each Christmas the huge tree that glitters in Prudential Plaza in Boston is a thank-you gift from the people of Nova Scotia.

[This message has been edited by TheEngII (edited 09-06-2005).]

- littlelizzy04 - 09-06-2005

Hi there!
I am new, but saw that you didn't like beer, or haven't found good one. I also did not like beer for a while. I would suggest going to a good beer house (or bier haus, sp?) They'll have every kind you can imagine. Not having a good beer to drink is no fun. I assume the hops and bitterness are what are getting to you. I am the same way. This depends on what you like, so I will list a few that are easily available everywhere.

Boulevard Wheat - nice and cloudy, not too bitter or "watery" like domestics (Bud Light), more smooth and excellent with lemon

Any Black Beers - They are very dark, almost black, but suprisingly light, have a sort of "homey flavor to them

Shiner or Amber Bock - More bitter, darker or lighter depending on what you prefer.

And if ya really get pissed off and can't find anything, I suggest Strong Arm or Woodchuck Ciders. It tastes like apples but isn't too sweet.

Its a pity not to be able to sit down and have a beer you enjoy with friends at your local pub. Just keep trying, you'll find one, just like I'm trying to find "my" wine. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

- Kip - 09-06-2005

Good history report there,TheEngII.

And littlelizzy04,

I beleive you have it dead on of what my tastes are. I don't know what part of the beer I don't enjoy, but isn't that wheat the same as Hoegaarden, wouldn't it just be the same just like all other beers? Hoegaarden was okay, I didn't enjoy it though. The suggestions that you made I will take in mind, It's just that I am very fed up with beer and not finding my beer. I spend money on stuff I don't like and people suggest all these "good" beers and I just can't even cope with the beer (Even those people were remarkable for their encouragement and helpfullness ). I wonder if those beers you suggested are aviable to Nova Scotia?

- robr - 09-09-2005

Don't let yourself get sidetracked. Once you give up beer and just drink wine you will feel muuuuuch better. Just drink wine, wine, wine, all the time, time, time, (and some water).

It's all you need to survive... well, that and air and meat.

BK

BTW, did you find one you like yet?

- robr - 09-09-2005

"At 7.30 a.m. on December 6,"

What year did this happen, Eng? You left that out.

- TheEngineer - 09-09-2005

Oops

Sorry, 1917.

- littlelizzy04 - 09-11-2005

Yah, I will tell you, all beers are not alike. Those three are very good, try them and see if I'm wrong [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img] Also a correction, it is Strongbow not Strongarm. All three should be available almost anywhere. My friend in German could get all three. Sorry about the side tracking [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

- Kip - 09-12-2005

Hmmm,umm...uh.. I will have to try beer one more time, this is the last chance I am going to give it. I am also going to try Paulaner Hefe's, it's supposivly really wheaty.

Don't worry guys, I will get some wine too! I just need to try this beer!