WineBoard
Beaujolais - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Beaujolais (/thread-18533.html)

- lizardbrains - 07-29-2005

Hiya! It's been a while, I know. I don't get here too often considering I can't partake in any wine as of late (I'm in my 3rd trimester, just a few more months before I can enjoy a grand bottle of wine!!!). Anyways...

A few years ago you all got me excited about trying Beaujolais, but I was pregnant at the time and thus unable to see what all the hubub was about. And this year I've decided I for sure want to get in on it.

Here's what I remember... Beaujolais comes in the fall (October), and it is truly only decatent to consume in those first few months? And so you really don't want any Beaujolais that is old. Something along that line... like I said, it's been a few years.

So... I want to delve into Beaujolais this year (after the baby is born in Oct/Nov). (And my goal is to then learn about non-American wines, since the last few years I've spent learning all about CA wines!)

Could you please advise me about what exactly I need to know in order to get some good Beaujolais?

Thanks!!!!,
Elizabeth

- wondersofwine - 07-29-2005

Okay Liz,
Beaujolais Nouveau comes out in November (in time for Thanksgiving). It should be consumed by February of the following calendar year (February 2006). Georges du Boeuf is a Beaujolais producer/negociant/shipper of huge quantities and his Nouveau Beaujolais may be the easiest to find but in past years I prefered the product from Joseph Drouhin. Louis Jadot is another possibility.
Beaujolais-Villages and Cru Beaujolais are not vinified the same way as Beaujolais Nouveau and can hold for two to four years, in some cases more like eight years. (Moulin-a-Vent and Morgon are two Cru Beaujolais that have some resemblance to red Burgundy and may have more staying power.) Other Cru Beaujolais are Fleurie, Brouilly, Cote de Brouilly, Saint Amour, Julienas, Chenas, Chirouble and Regnie'. (I had to look up the last two). Louis Jadot sometimes makes a nice Beaujolais-Villages (less per bottle than the Cru Beaujolais.) 2003 may be atypical due to very hot summer but some 2002 would probably still be available and drinkable or wait for the 2004. The Beaujolais Nouveau will be 2005 in November.

- Kcwhippet - 07-29-2005

My gosh! It seems like you're doing your part to create the future generation. Anyway, you're talking about Beaujolais Nouveau, made from the Gamay grape, and harvested sometime in September, fermented, bottled and released in November, just before our Thanksgiving. We had someone come into the shop just last week with half a bottle of 2003 BN, and they said it tasted terrible. We explained the situation, but gave them a store credit anyway (good customer relations). Look for all the other Beaujolais (when you can drink) out there, like Beaujolais Village, Fleurie, Julienas, etc. Ask the person in the wine shop in Temecula - they'll be sure to help you.