WineBoard
Help... I'm a Newbie - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Help... I'm a Newbie (/thread-18512.html)

- Oregonia - 11-23-2001

Hi, I am a newbie to wines.
I tend to lean toward sweeter wines such as Reisling and Zinfandels... but I also enjoy the semi-dry. Any suggestions?
Are there any good reds that aren't so sharp?
I've been a long time beer drinker (micros of course)and am trying to broaden my horizons. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]
Thanks!!

- Innkeeper - 11-23-2001

Hi Oregonia, and welcome to the Wine Board. Now is a great time to get into Beaujolais. Last week the '01 Beaujolais Nouveau was released. It is excellent, and fruit bomb with the allusion of sweetness. The 2000 plain ole Beaujolais, Beaujolais Village, and Cru Beaujolais are among the best of these vintages in many years. Ask your wine dealer about the Crus. They don't have the word Beaujolais on the label; but have names like Morgon, and Moulin A Vent.

- Thomas - 11-23-2001

and don't get stuck on thinking that Riesling and Zinfandel are sweet wines: wines are produced either sweet or dry by the winemaker; sweetness or dryness is not identified by grape names, which Riesling and Zinfandel are.

- Oregonia - 11-23-2001

Thanks! I really appreciate it... I'm totally lost when I try to read about wines ... ugh. I'm not familiar with the terminology.
I have another question... what does acidity mean in wines? Does it give it a bigger bite? How is that measured? OR How would I know which wines are smoother? I've had some bad luck with some wines that tasted like vinegar. Are some supposed to taste like vinegar? I appreciate any help that you can give me!!
Thanks!!

- Innkeeper - 11-23-2001

Acid is a necessary component in wine, which should be kept in balance with fruit, alcohol, tannin, and other compenents. It is more important in white wine because white wine lacks tannin. Tartaric and malic acids come from the grape, and other acids are sometimes added in the fermentation process. For example a lot if not most American Chardonnay undergoes malolactic fermentation which produces lactic acid. Acid is measured as a percentage of vulume just as alcohol is.
Wines vary from around 5.5% to 7.5% acid per liter.

Some wines, both red and white, are higher in acid than others. The decision to go with wines from higher acid grapes depends on your idea of food matching. Some people like to match high acid wine with low acid food, and others, like me, like to match high acid wine with high acid food.

Without food, again it is personal preference. Some people like to quaff sauvignon blanc which is very high in acid, or the red barbera. Again, I'm one of those people.

- Thomas - 11-23-2001

Generally, grapes grown in cooler climates, or high elevation, do not ripen as fully as grapes in warm climates, or low elevation; the former will contain higher acid levels than the latter.

Malolactic fermentation is not an addition of acid but rather a conversion from malic to lactic acid by introducing an innoculant to start a secondary fermentation.

Without decent acidity wine would not last long in the bottle. Also, the higher the acid the better chances against certain spoilage.

Lastly, acidity is what gives wine its "bite" and what marries with (or cuts through) fats in foods.

- barnesy - 11-23-2001

Welcome to the board. I used to live in Springfield. I'm an alumnus of Thurston. The answers these folks have given you are very good. See if you can find some German Riesling. You should really enjoy it. Most of it is made in an off-dry to sweeter style but there is so much more complexity there than in American Riesling. In particular, find a wine shop that carries a good supply of Ewald Moseler's imports. He is an Oregon importer that specializes in German wine. His selections are wonderful. www.moseler.com will have some locations in your area.

Also, wine should NOT taste like vinegar at all. This means the wine has gone bad and should be disposed of.

Barnesy

- Thomas - 11-24-2001

Barnesy, you tempted me to respond: you obviously haven't tasted a Finger Lakes Riesling...

- barnesy - 11-26-2001

Foodie,

I have been very tempted to try some. I just haven't found any out here. Lots of NW riesling and a lot of German and Alsace, but no New York. If I see one, I will try it though. I understand that NY is putting some very Mosel like riesling out. I apologize for the broad generalization, but hey...its pretty close to being right on.

Barnesy

[This message has been edited by barnesy (edited 11-26-2001).]

- Thomas - 11-26-2001

Barnsey, send me an email with your address; I'll try to get one out to you.

- wondersofwine - 11-27-2001

You might experiment with zinfandels or Australian shiraz wines for a red you could enjoy (try the Beaujolais first though--they are easy to love). Greg Norman Estates has a decent shiraz and Rosemount wines have been favorably received by a number of people that post here. Rosemount wines might be available at your grocery store if they are allowed to carry wines in Oregon (I imagine they are since Oregon is a wine-producing state).
I prefer a robust zinfandel such as Ridge Lytton Springs but zinfandel comes in a great variety from mild and fruity to big in alcohol and intense flavor. A knowledgeable wine shop staffer could suggest one of the mild brands.

Oops, I missed that you said you are already trying rieslings and zinfandels. What zinfandels have you enjoyed?

- zenda2 - 11-27-2001

Welcome Oregonia, I see that you like zin. It's not a common grape in Oregon and Washington, but you have a local little known grape there that replaces it nicely. It's called Lemberger or Blue Franc. The name Lemberger is a marketing nightmare, but the grape makes some great unpretentious red wine and zinfandel lovers usually seem to enjoy it. The best I've had was probably from Thurston Wolfe (his tasting room is next door to Hogue's in Preston) but it's rather hard to find. You should be able to find Lemberger from Hogue or Covey Run, and it's good, but let me recommend tracking down some Kiona Lemberger from the Red Mountain area of Washington, it's flat out delish. My favorite red $10 wine from Washington (altho I'm very fond of Kiona Cab-Merlot and Columbia Crest Grand Estate Cab in that price range)
Try any one of the number of different Pinot Noir makers there in Oregon, price is a pretty good indicator of Oregon PN quality these days, but there are a few 'bargains'. An inexpensive one that I'm fond of is Bridgeview Blue Moon Pinot Noir, available here for $13 or so. Have fun!

- Oregonia - 11-27-2001

Thanks for the info Zenda... Bridgeview Blue Moon Pinot Noir is something I'm familiar with but haven't tried. You can get it here for about $6 or less. I will try it. I tried my first Pinot Grigio last night. It was good. I also tried some Beaujolais, but it was so bland. It must have been the maker or something. I was a little disappointed. All I could taste was the alcohol. There was no flavor to it. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good bottle to try? I would like to try it again.
Thanks!!

- zenda2 - 11-27-2001

Step up the Beaujolais foodchain to Morgon or Fleurie or Moulin-a-vent. These are 'Cru' Beaujolais and they cost more, but they're worth it IMHO. They won't say Beaujolais on the label as a rule, but that's what they are, just grown on 'good dirt' and treated well. You can taste the difference...if you don't like these, then Beaujolais just isn't your cup of tea. No big deal.
I was buying Dubouef 2000 Morgon 'Jean Descombes' at F. Meyers in Portland for $8 in September but that was before the Wine Spectator declared it a 'best buy'. The price may have gone up, but it's delicious juice.

You might also try the Beaujolais Nouveau as Innkeeper suggested (grapes harvested only weeks ago). I really like the Joseph Drouhin variety, and others have lauded the one from Georges Duboeuf. With such a young Beaujolais the fruitiness overrides the alcohol.

- Oregonia - 11-28-2001

Okay I will try it. Thanks for all the suggestions!

- cpurvis - 11-28-2001

IMHO, try the other suggestions from above (Morgon, etc.) before the Bridgeview. Even though the family that owns the winery is German, I believe that you will find Bridgeview to be rather average even at the low price.

cp

- skshaw - 12-07-2001

Also for reds, try the Pinot Noir. Usually produces a soft, fruity, but dry wine. Villa Mt. Eden, 1999 Coastal California is rated a best buy for about $12 and an 87 score. The Gallo of Sonoma is also well regarded for about $14, 1999. Finally, try the Kendall Jackson Vintner's Reserve 1999 Pinot for about $14.

As for whites, try the Sauvignon Blanc. Crisp, fruity, delightful. Chateau St. Michele has an excellent one for about $12.

Good luck!!