WineBoard
Pinot Noir - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Pinot Noir (/thread-18470.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

- wondersofwine - 10-21-2003

I would say that the Rancho Zabaco Zinfandels (above the Dancing Bull level) are quite good. I like the Rancho Zabaco Sonoma Heritage Zinfandel in its price range and liked the Rancho Zabaco Dry Creek Valley Zinfandel even better (tasted it at a D.C. hotel). I had not been able to find the Rancho Zabaco Dry Creek Valley Zinfandel locally but talked to a Gallo distributor who is going to get three bottles for me. I have also heard compliments for the Frei Ranch and Barelli Creek Zinfandels from Gallo but have not tried them.
Turning Leaf and some of the other Gallo brands are introductory level, grocery store wines more than what you would find in a fine wine shop, but they do have a place in the market and some following among consumers.

- littlefools - 10-21-2003

I have been drinking wines for years, but never strayed to anything different. I stuck with White Zinfindale and Reunites. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/redface.gif[/img] The past two years, I started purchasing red wines. I found one I liked and stuck with it. Needless to say, I do not drink the Zinfindale or Reunities any more. Latley I have wanted to try new wines and all of you have been very helpful. I love the Pinot Noirs. I am actually stopping at the package store tonight to see If I can find the Villa Mt. Eden. Please keep recommending wines, I love this! I'll probably end up in detox before I am done with this wonderful adventure of wine tasting!! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img] (just kidding!!)
May I ask what some of you do for a living and are there any of you who own wine stores? [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by littlefools (edited 10-21-2003).]

- Drew - 10-21-2003

The Gallo single vineyard wines, Barrelli Creek, Stefani and Frei Ranch Cabs are all excellent and very good values...don't poo poo the Gallo line....pretty good stuff, IMHO.

Drew

- winoweenie - 10-21-2003

Drewski couldn't have said it more accurately...The 3 single-vineyard cabs are usually among the stand-out P/Q cabs in every vintage. Think I posted on a 94 not too long ago. WW

- Innkeeper - 10-21-2003

Unfortunately they have added oak to both the Bella Sera and the Ecco Domani Pinot Grigios. To the best of my knowledge these are the first adulterations of a wine you could previously order blindfolded amid a sea of oaky chardonnays in a restaurant.

- wineguruchgo - 10-21-2003

You said:

I'll probably end up in detox before I am done with this wonderful adventure of wine tasting!! (just kidding!!)

That was really funny and I burst out laughing. Thank you! I've had a really bad day and that's probably the first laugh I have had.

May I ask what some of you do for a living and are there any of you who own wine stores?

I know that I'm new to this board and I would like to thank everyone who has welcomed me. I have been in the wine/spirit business for 5 years working for both a distributor and a French Wine Importer. I'm currently studying to be a Master Sommelier.

I still have so much to learn!!

- wineguruchgo - 10-21-2003

I would like to add to the Gallo discussion.

Like all "major" wineries they have many different levels of wine in their portfolio. Many of the wineries, under the umbrella, have signed a contract with Gallo (or Mondavi for that matter) for the distribution rights. The giants very often have nothing to do with the process. Only the national/global distribution of.

The Frei Brothers wines are wonderful, single vineyard wines. Which means that only grapes from that vineyard can be used. They cannot buy grapes from someone else. It is a crapshoot (due to Mother Nature) whether or not they will have a good year. Generally speaking, the best producers will have credible wines even in bad years. Generally single vineyard wines are more expensive than the others.

MacMurray Ranch Russian River Pinot Noir is one of the best, I believe, out of California. I have waited 4 months to bring it into our restaurants here in Chicago because the winery ran out of wine. That, my friends, is a good sign. It's pricey. Probably 20-25 per bottle. Interesting story behind it. Fred MacMurray, from My Three Sons fame, was an expert cattleman. In the 1950's he bought 1,500 acres in an unknown place called Sonoma County. Go figure!! Needless to say, his heirs are very weathly.

That is my tip of the day.

- yabloka - 10-22-2003

I just tried the Barelli Creek Cab the other night. Delicious! My only complaint was that when I put it in smaller bottles to help preserve it, they were already going sour the next day! Help!

- wineguruchgo - 10-22-2003

Yabloka from the other post - since you are going to invest in yourself and your career (and have fun with it too!) I would get a can of Wine Reserve Wine Preserve the next time you are in a liquor store.

The can will feel empty, but it's not. It's full of nitrogen which you will spray into the bottle to get rid of the oxygen. This will help to keep the bottle for a few days without the hassel of transferring it to smaller bottles.

It will probably cost you $8.00 and is worth every penny.

- ShortWiner - 10-22-2003

OK,OK, I'm proved wrong and perhaps snobbish. To remedy the error, I promise to kick back tonight with a jug of Carlo Rossi and think about what I've done. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- randery - 10-22-2003

I'll second the MacMurray Ranch. Picked up a bottle for $16.00 and worth every cent.

- littlefools - 10-22-2003

I bought a bottle of Grand Estates wine yesterday called Sarah? I have not heard any you mention that kind. Is it good? I am goint to open it up tonight w/some extra sharp Vermont cheese, YUM!

I will be sure to try the MacMurray Ranch Russian River Pinot Noir too, sounds very good!

- Tyrrell - 10-22-2003

could your sarah wine have been syrah? If so, it is the same grape as your Yellowtail Shirraz. The french (and IIRC some americans) call it Syrah and the rest of the world calls it shiraz.

[This message has been edited by Tyrrell (edited 10-22-2003).]

Syrah is the name, and I also bought a bottle of Big House? I think something like that was mentioned...If I got the correct name. I must tell you, I have tried three wine stores and have not yet been able to find the Villa Mt. Eden Pinot Noir. Any suggestions on who might carry???

Tammy [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

- randery - 10-22-2003

Littlefool, Ca' del Solo Big House is by Bonny Doon and is bottled red and white. The red is a blend of many varieties. Goes great with pizza. The Big House white is also a blend featuring suavignon blanc, pinot gris and, I think, riesling. Big House is a tongue in cheek reference to the California Penitentary at Soledad. Bonny Doon also bottles a terrific dry riesling.Don't be dissuaded by the screw tops.These are all nice wines IMHO

[This message has been edited by randery (edited 10-22-2003).]

- Kcwhippet - 10-22-2003

Tammy,

Even though the shops you were in didn't have the Villa Mt. Eden PN, they can get it. All they have to do is ask the distributor who handles Villa Mt. Eden to bring it in for you. I work in a wine shop and we handle specials for wines we don't carry all the time.

- littlefools - 10-23-2003

The big house I have is a 2002 red wine. I have not tried it yet. I was curious about the screw top, I thought mabee it was just a cover up over the cork.

I will be sure to ask one of the wine stores to order the Villa Mt. Eden for me. If it's that good, mabee I should order more than one??

- Innkeeper - 10-23-2003

Bonny Doon is one of the few intrepid American producers using screw tops. There are a greater number from Down Under. You open them sort of like you do a bottle of bubbly. You grip the top firmly, even using one of those rubber grippers if necessary, and turn the body of the bottle with your strong hand.

- wineguruchgo - 10-23-2003

There is a great debate going on right now between the wineries and the public with regard to screw caps.

The wineries position is that so much of their inventory is tainted by corks not doing their jobs well enough and they are losing millions.

They tried synthetic corks years ago, but that really hasn't helped the problem either.

I think many of the wines under $10 from the new world (US, Australia, Chile, Argentina) will eventually go to screw tops, but it's going to take a while. I can't see the old world wines (France, Italy, Germany, Greece) ever going that route.

Your more expensive wines, I believe, will always have a cork. Much of this has to do with perceived quality, the history and romance of the bottle and cork.

If your store carries Columbia Crest or Chateau Ste. Michelle, they can get Villa Mt. Eden. It's all the same company. I agree...most retailers are willing to bring in a wine if they know it's going to sell.