WineBoard
Your knowledge appreciated - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Your knowledge appreciated (/thread-18462.html)

- SFAnchor - 05-21-2002

I've been reading a few threads here and I found some disturbing news. I wasn't aware that white wines don't age well at all, and that red wines (if they aren't really good wines; i.e. "inexpensive") don't age for very long.

So I need your help in the following areas:

[b]A[/b] Look at my very small, very new wine collection and let me know what kind of shelf life I can expect out them. My purpose is to have very good tasting, aged wines for special occasions and get togethers. (Plus I love 1997 CA Cab's. I felt that was a very good year for them, so I buy them whenever I see them, regardless of the vineyard.)
[i]Mystic Cliffs[/i] (1997) CA Cab
[i]Francis Coppola[/i] (2000) CA Red Wine
[i]Louis M. Martini[/i] (1999) CA Zin
[i]Santa Ema[/i] (1999) Cab from Chile (2 Bottles)
[i]Cantelo Estate[/i] (2000) Cab from Chile
[i] Chateau Malbat[/i] (2000) Bordeaux from France
[i]Ecco Domani[/i] (1997) Barbera D'Alba from Italy (2 Bottles)
[i]Ecco Domani[/i] (1998) Cab from Italy (2 Bottles)
[Gundlach Bundschu[/i] (1996) Cab from Sonoma CA
[i]Sebastiani[/i] Proprietor's Reserve (1977) Babera
[i]Cesari[/i] (1997) Merlot Cabernet from France
[i]Cesari[/i] (1997) Pinot Grigio from France

[b]B[/b] [i]A few questions I have:[/i]
1. What is the name of a good reference book for wines? I've been tempted to buy "Wine for Dummies", but is there another novice book out there?
2. What is with the dimple at the bottom of some of the bottles? (I hear this helps the wines to age better.)
3. I've heard that you can tell how good a red wine is, based on how dark the cork is when you open the bottle. True or False?
4. I purchase most of my wine at Trader Joe's because they are really inexpensive there. If I want to really start a good collection that I can age for a period of years, how much should I expect to spend per bottle? (I'm assuming it will be more than $3.99 for the Ecco Domani currently.) And where should I shop?

Thanks for taking the time! I appreciate it!

- Innkeeper - 05-21-2002

Hi Anchor, and welcome to the Wine Board. Drink the whites in the next six months. Drink all the reds before the end of '03, and some, e.g. Mistic Cliffs, immediately. 1. Wine For Dummies is an excellent primer. 2. The dimple is to impress your friends. Put your thumb in it, with the rest of your fingers around the bottle, and pour. 3. False. 4. Unless you want to spend around $200 or $300, forget about aging whites. You can get ageable reds for around $15. A good example is Chateau Les Fiefs De Lagrange, which will go to five or eight years after harvest (vintage). 1997 California Cabernet Sauvignons, if you can find them, will start at $25 (Markham) and go well up from there.

Remember that well over 95% of all wine produced in the world is meant to be consumed immediately.

- SFAnchor - 05-21-2002

Thank you IK.

I was unaware that 95% of wines were meant to be enjoyed immediately. I'll assume that the other 5% are well out of my budget. hehe.

But for the rest, what is the average that you can keep a red wine? (I always thought that if you enjoyed a paticular year, you would want to stock up on them and save them. Apparently not.) If I understand correctly then, I shouldn't worry about aging the wine? I should just enjoy what I have right away? (I promise I'll go out and buy the book, have patience!)

So what about that 1977 Sebastiani Proprietors Reserve? Do you think it's vinegar by now?

- winoweenie - 05-21-2002

Hi there SFAnchor and Velchome to der board. Lots more misinformation than fact out there 'bout our favorite juice. Actually, the punt on the bottom of the bottle is designed as a structural help in keeping the bottle bottom from breaking as easily in shipment. If you see a dark cork, it normally means the bottle is leaking and the wine is oxidizing. You can say a hail Mary for the 77 Barbera. With the wines you've listed, I'd say spend your money on some marvelous cheeses at my favorite grocers in the whole-ever-lovin and drink up. Trader has long since left the realm of fine wine purveyors. Great values...sometimes bad juice, but not meant to be serious stuff. Glad to have you aboard. You have lots of serious wine merchants in Sacremento that can guide you into some long-range agers. Have fun and drink-up. WW

- Kcwhippet - 05-21-2002

Lots of good places to get good wine in Sac. Go see Rick at Albertsons on Truxel Road. Tell him I sent you. Also, try the BevMo in Citrus Heights.

Bob