WineBoard
ATTENTION WINE HISTORY PEOPLE!!!!!! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: ATTENTION WINE HISTORY PEOPLE!!!!!! (/thread-18460.html)

Pages: 1 2

- mfm130@psu.edu - 04-26-2000

Drew, I mean no disrespect,or offense. One I say wine people as a compliment. If there is a term perfered just let me know I will use it. The only assumption I make is that I am younger then the rest of the people who have posted a message on the board. I reiterate. I grew up on the net. I don't know what it is like living life without the net. I can't imagine it. I spend about 10hours a day using the internet. Everything I do goes through the system. Thank you once again Drew for all your help....Whats wrong with being a mutant anyways? Some of my closest friends are mutants.

- Dogwalker - 04-27-2000

I have been following and reading the posts on this subject from the start. The internet is either a valueable tool or a dangerous instrument. You can can gain life saving/improving infomation in health areas. You also can be lead down a path that leads to the darker things of the world. You must be responsable in your use of it as both consumer and provider. In my job in purchasing I spend what seems endless hours on it. I also enjoy it for personnal use. I always remember that the final choice for it is mine.
As far as "wine people" goes I have found that I am truly enjoying and learning new things about wine and the world it comes from. Many of these facts come the "wine people" I have met on this forum. I hold and use the term with a great respect for both the subject and the people it refers to.
NUF SAID,
Chuck

- cellarmate - 04-27-2000

I don't think I have seen such an animated debate since the discussion on whether it was actually the milennium or whether it is next year or whether Pope Gregory et al made it six years ago or whatever. If you guys were that intimidating to wine novices this board would not exist as the enjoyable resource that it is. Thanks for picking the right fights. All I can say is that southern Italy has some sleepers in the Salice Salentino varietals for a nice little pasta wine in the $5! price range; where not getting a headache from a glassfull is one of the tasting sheet questions. (not to change the subject from the great chateaus) Welcome to my world.

- Thomas - 04-27-2000

Matthew, libraries are work and the Internet is easy. Therein lies the problem: that which comes easy and cheap often costs a lot more than you expect. And who said life is easy?

On your way to the library you might have smelled spring in bloom, you might have even met a dear friend and had a nice conversation, and you might have learned a little about that poor old librarian, who could have been a distant relative, had you asked in person.

Expect quick and ready solutions to everything and you wind up with a dim-witted solution to most things....I has spok'n!

Anyway, what I meant by your porfessor being outdated and stodgy is addressed in Cellarmate's posting. Educators, and many writers too (of which I am one) have a tendency to see wine in terms of the great chateaux, lots of money and all that high-status stuff. But there is a wonderful revolution taking place, especially in the Mediterranean; places where wines were once readily available, locally, and of little distinction, now offer quite wonderful wines and affordable prices and they come across the Atlantic. If we are going to develop a wine culture in the U.S. we need to focus on the affordable quality stuff, and diminish the importance of those "blown out of proportion" blockbuster products and producers. It is the same as eating mignon once in a great while and steak thorughout the year, or even better, shad roe in spring and fish all year long.

- Bucko - 04-27-2000

On your way to the library you might have smelled spring in bloom, you might have even met a dear friend and had a nice conversation....

..... you might have tripped over Foodie and Bucko laying in the gutter, you might....

- Drew - 04-27-2000

Foodie and Cellarmate are right on the money.
This is an excellant wine board where you can learn much more than "wine stuff". The conversations can, on occassion, become lively (es. with R. Caparoso I've noticed) and if you can read between the lines, while enjoying a glass of wine, you'll realize two things.

1. Diverse opinions are great!

2. If you drink enough wine, your opinion is the correct one!

Drew

- Bucko - 04-27-2000

Drew, when it comes to wine, there is no right opinion or wrong opinion, only an opinion. One person's is just as valuable as the next. Over time, you learn who's opinion agrees with yours -- those are the people whose tasting notes you give a second glance.

Bucko

- Drew - 04-28-2000

I realize that, Bucko. My last post was a lame attempt at some humor.

Drew

- Thomas - 04-28-2000

Of course guys, the only correct opinion is the one that agrees with your own....

As for laying in the gutter, I bought a pair of cufflinks that Dean Martin used to talk about--they are good curb feelers.

This board is of coure a terrific place to discuss the many apents of wine, but I still would rather that those wanting to be educated do more than just sit at a computer terminal all day and rely on the Internet. I believe strongly that this form of communication has both a good and sinister side, and it seems the sinister in nature has a tendency to grow exponentially (the sinister side of the Internet being that it cuts one off from real-life experiences, which are far more educating than reading cyber text and believing everything it tells you).

- mrdutton - 04-28-2000

Why does this about twenty-something make the assertion that he is the expert and we are mere fledglings when it comes to the internet? He needs to learn not to nibble at the hand that feeds him. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

I know this has nothing to do with wine, but it does have something to do with this thread.

Using the internet for research is fine. But NOT when you have someone GIVE you the answers flat-out. How is that helping someone develop research and resource capabilities?

The librarian, if he/she is worthy of the title, will point the student in the right direction and might-even go so far as the proper tome (if the student is having difficulty). However, I've never had the experience of meeting a librarian who gave me the answer: this book, page so-and-so, paragraph such-and-such.

Besides the thrill of finding new knowledge on my own sure beats that dull, almost degrading feeling I get when I just give-up the search, ask for and receive the answer out-right.

This young gentleman grew-up with the internet. Well the World Wide Web maybe, but not the internet. He is not old enough.
Unlike VP Gore, I did not invent the internet and don't come anywhere near even the ability to claim any contributions. But I sure have been around a while, being 12 or so years beyond my 39th birthday. I've got more time waiting for my computer to boot-up than this gentleman has waiting to log-on.

As an interesting note, my last ISP invoice noted that my on-line time for the month was 127 hours.

Now, were it not so early in the am, I'd go pop a cork on a bottle of Morgon and sit back, relax and sip. Oh what the hell.......

OBTW, thanks for the cigar offer. I really appreciate that! However, save your cigar for someone who would truely appreciate it. I don't smoke. Quit about 7 years ago.

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 04-28-2000).]

- Thomas - 04-28-2000

Right you are, Dutton. I did not want to dazzle Matthew with the fact that I have worked with computers since the 1960's--remember keypunching?

Been through the whole revolution from papertape output to dumping onto audio tape to the latest daily advances in microchip technology.

All of this proves that at 55 I am adaptable, and I still would not rely on a computer for my information, if only because I like to see, smell and touch both those who give the information and the documents on which they record it--nice way to actually validate that the info at least comes from credible sources.

Call me gregarious, but do not call me late for a bottle of wine....Morgon at 8, that sounds interesting.

- mrdutton - 04-28-2000

Keypunching, IBM Cards, paper tape output, magnetic tape input, and computers with less memory than my desktop that took-up entire rooms (in some cases an entire building). Programming with breadboards. Analog and digital computers. 300 Baud modems and vacuum tubes as big as me!

Yeah, I remember some of that stuff.

- Bucko - 04-28-2000

I am MUCH too young to remember any of that stuff myself....... <cough>

Bucko

- hotwine - 04-29-2000

Yeah, same here... <wheeze>

- Thomas - 04-29-2000

Whew, you've tired me out too. Think I'll go read myself to sleep with some FORTRAN or COBOL scripting.

- mrdutton - 04-29-2000

Grace Hopper is rolling over in her grave!

[img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]