WineBoard
ATTENTION WINE HISTORY PEOPLE!!!!!! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: ATTENTION WINE HISTORY PEOPLE!!!!!! (/thread-18460.html)

Pages: 1 2

- mfm130@psu.edu - 04-23-2000

Hello Team,
I am a student at the Pennsylvannia State University. I am enrolled in a Wine Tasting class and have a major project due on Thursday April 27. I have a few questions that I can not answer and so I am asking for everyones help in getting an A on my Project. Here are the Questions:
1. Identify the first five Growth Chateaus as listed by the official Classification of 1855.

2. Identify the specific region in France that produces the most famous Dessert Wine in the world.( I know the name of the region is the name of the wine)

3. Name the French Chateau that produces the best and most expensive wine in the above question.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Please e-mail me personally with any information that you can give me. My e-mail is: mfm130@psu.edu

Thank you all once again,
Matthew Martin

- Drew - 04-23-2000

Here goes Matthew....I feel like I'm back in school again with your questions.
1. The first five growth or "Premier Crus" Chateaus are:
1. Chateau Lafite-Rothschild, Pauillac
2. Chateau Latour, Pauillac
3. Chateau Margaux, Margaux
4. Chateau Haut-Brion Pessac,Graves
5. Chateau Mouton-Rothschild (became a first growth in 1973), Pauillac

2. Sauternes

3. All of the first growths are expensive,and tasty, but the answer their probably looking for is Chateau Lafite-Rothschild. I'm no expert on this third question...mabey some of our more learned wine friends can add to my answers.
GOOD LUCK IN YOUR WINE CLASS!

- Kcwhippet - 04-24-2000

I believe the most expensive may be Ch. Petrus.

- Thomas - 04-24-2000

Hate to be a killjoy, but it seems that we do no good deed by doing the gentleman's homework for him....

- Bucko - 04-24-2000

Not only that, the answer to number three is wrong, but then I believe the person asking the question needs to do his own work.

BuckScrooge

- hotwine - 04-24-2000

Question #3 was sufficiently ambiguous that it will probably throw a lot of people off. I can almost hear one of my old profs snickering with glee: "Let's see now, I'll word this last one so that they'll all jump to the wrong conclusion and I'll be able to club 'em with my favorite hammer and shout, Read the Question!"

- Drew - 04-24-2000

WHY BUCKSCROOGE?

Drew

- Bucko - 04-24-2000

As Hotwine says, read the question closely.

Bucko

- mrdutton - 04-25-2000

Seems to me the question wants to know the best and most expensive Dessert Wine - like Chateau Y.........

The questions are easy enough he should be able to research them and answer them himself.

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 04-25-2000).]

- Bucko - 04-25-2000

Give mrdutton a cigar........

Bucko

- hotwine - 04-25-2000

I'll second that cigar motion for Mrdutton, Bucko.

On the subject of the young man doing his own research: I know that the idea of posting questions on an Internet bulletin board and waiting for someone to answer them seems almost like cheating. But how many public or university libraries have texts like the Encyclopedia of Wines and Spirits? His instructor at Penn State probably knows exactly what sort of research materials are available on campus, and he might be encouraging his students to look elsewhere for answers. Although these three questions were easy, I can imagine a prof testing the resourcefulness of his students with much more difficult questions, especially in a non-traditional academic subject like "Wine 101". There's a lot to be said for teaching students how to use the Internet for research.....

- Thomas - 04-25-2000

You will never catch me using the Internet for research--too many wild guys like Bucko out there to confuse us.

Anyway, I think the student should tell the professor that his curriculum is outdated and stodgy....

- hotwine - 04-25-2000

We've probably stumbled onto a topic of lively discussion among faculties across the country. But I think it's OK for a student to have used the 'Net for this purpose. It sure beats getting a zero on a class assignment! IMO, he showed initiative just in locating the Wine Board, and in presenting his questions to us stodgy old members.
(I'm ready to join Mrdutton, Bucko, Foodie in a cigar - a Marsh Wheeling would sure be nice.)

- hotwine - 04-25-2000

Didn't mean to leave you out, Drew. Smoke 'em or chew 'em.

- Bucko - 04-25-2000

I have just the cigar for Foodie -- loaded with gunpowder, er, ah, I mean flavor. He'll get a real bang out of it, explosive flavors on the palate, a real eye-opener, makes your hair stand on end, lots of smoky nuances........

BuckBoom

- Drew - 04-25-2000

I'll smoke em, Hotwine, and I'd like a Moore and Bode cigar from Miami. One of the best I've had in a long time....but thats another topic. I just felt, given the major role that computers and the internet play in education now, that it's encouraged and acceptable to sit down and enter any task driven question into an Isp's search engine for the answer. That's what brought me to this forum last December. Is asking for tasting notes on specific wines cheating? Or do I HAVE to taste them all and find out for myself? (Oh please give me that job!)

Drew

- Thomas - 04-26-2000

Drew, that is a job well worth striving for, and I almost have it....

Re, information on the Net: how does one know whether or not the information is valid?

Bucko, if that cigar can bring back the follicles (with all the old curls) I'd be more than happy to try it--ain't much hair left to raise on my head.

- mfm130@psu.edu - 04-26-2000

Hey Wine People,
I find thus amazing. I post a question and you people have turned it into a discussion. Thank you. Not only have I recieved the correct info but I have also been entertained.
I would alsom like to let you genltemen in on a little secret. My generation grew up on the internet. We wouldn't dream of stepping into a library if we didn't have to. All we have to do is look on the internet; and we are the best at using this tool. Much like the TV changed the way the world worked in the mid 1900's, the internet as changed the world at the trun of the century.
How am I supposed to learn something if I don't ask. If I went to the library and looked for the answer the first thing I would do is find a librarian and ask her for help. She would have done the same thing I asked of you. Showed me the correct answers. The difference...this was quick and easy. I didn't even have to leave my home. I am sorry gentlemen but the library as well as the old way to do research is dead. Long live the net.
P.S. Foodie, in reply to your question, I showed the answers to my teacher and asked him if they were right. The answers that were e-mailed to me personally were correct. All three of them.
Thank you guys for the help.

- Drew - 04-26-2000

You're right, Foodie, relying on "facts" from a web site you don't know is a big gamble. I try to visit sites that are recommended by people I know whose opinions I respect, and those, like this site, that are associated with people that have unquestioned reputations and knowledge like Jerry Mead.

- Drew - 04-26-2000

You know, Matthew, right as I replied to Foodie, your post popped up. Why would you assume and imply that we did not also grow up with the net or are not as comfortable as you with it?.....and what's with this "wine people" stuff? like we're mutants who live only on "weird grape juice"?