WineBoard
Finally ran into some "duds...." - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Finally ran into some "duds...." (/thread-18441.html)

- Miles Raymond - 02-21-2005

Well..

It was bound to happen sooner or later.

Up until now everything I've tried I've liked. Some more than others but I liked them all.

A local store was having a sale so I decided to be adventurous. I picked up some Firesteed Pinot Noir which I really enjoyed.

I also picked up some French Pinot Noir. A bottle of 2002 Bouchard Vin De Pays D'OC. I did really care for it at all but it was drinkable.

The other "dud" was a bottle of 2002 Vendange also Pinot Noir. This bottle I will not be finishing.

I also picked up a bottle of Crane Lake Cabernet Sauvignon. Can anyone tell me about this one? I don't drink Cabernet very often.

[This message has been edited by Miles Raymond (edited 02-21-2005).]

- Innkeeper - 02-21-2005

You are doing well. I won't even use the Vendage for cooking; it doesn't meet the palatability test.

- Kcwhippet - 02-21-2005

Crane Lake is Bronco Wine Company's non-Trader Joe's label for it's Two Buck Chuck wine. The Charles Shaw label at Trader Joe's has started (finally) to show some slow down in sales, so they made another label - same cheap wine, just another name on the bottle. That's really bottom feeding, Miles, and you may like it initially, but it will quickly taste like what it is - really cheap wine. Boost your budget up a few bucks and get into the $10 and (slightly)up range. Pick up some Bogle Cab and try it side by side with the Crane Lake, then decide. Personally, I wouldn't go for the Crane Lake, or Vendange, and I'm not saying that to be a wine snob.

- Thomas - 02-22-2005

Yeah, and I would stay away from any Pinot Noir that costs less than $12, maybe $15.

Simply cannot produce that wine (well) for little money.

- Innkeeper - 02-22-2005

Here are a few under $15 Pinots that are at least a cut above the platable level:

MRM Rex-Goliath, Free Range, Central Coast; Smoking Loon, California; Pepperwood Grove, California; Villa Mt Eden, California; Firesteed, Oregon; Joseph Drouhin, Laforet, Burgundy.

- Miles Raymond - 02-22-2005

Thanks for the input!

Well now I know why these kinds were on sale.

In the future unless I see something that I recognize I will steer clear of the bargain bin!

I tried the Crane Lake and it was okay, nothing thrilling. I guess you would say it was "quaffable"? Is that the correct wine term for drinkable?

I have tried the Firesteed and really liked it. I haven not been able to find any Smoking Loon Pinot Noir. I am about to expand into Cabernet so I may check that out.

The $10-$15 price range is what I have been mostly buying. I just saw the bargain bin and decided to check it out.

[This message has been edited by Miles Raymond (edited 02-22-2005).]

[This message has been edited by Miles Raymond (edited 02-22-2005).]