WineBoard
Opinion on wineries - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Opinion on wineries (/thread-18425.html)

- Lil Ryan - 04-19-2001

There are a few labels I see here very often. Can you give me a thumbs up or thumbs down on them?

Beringer
Robert Mondavi
Turning Leaf
Fetzer
Clo Du Bois
Kendall Jackson

Thanks!
Ryan

- mrdutton - 04-19-2001

From my limited point of view, I don't think you can go wrong with any one of those labels. They all produce decent wines.

Beringer, Mondavi, Kendall Jackson, IMHO even produce some very, very good to very fine wines.

Turning Leaf puts out a decent product for a decent price.

Fetzer and Clo Du Bois are not wines I've sampled but I've heard that they produce a decent product.

That's my humble opinion!

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 04-19-2001).]

- Lil Ryan - 04-19-2001

Forgive my ignorance, but what's "IMHO"?

Ryan

- Bucko - 04-19-2001

IMHO - in my humble opinion

Beringer - Good to excellent
Robert Mondavi - same
Turning Leaf - average at best
Fetzer - good to very good
Clo Du Bois - same
Kendall Jackson - same

Bucko

- mrdutton - 04-19-2001

Well Bucko, we dint match. However we wuz close on a couple of them that was listed.

- Innkeeper - 04-20-2001

There's a little bit of apples and oranges here. Mondavi is one company with a barnful of brands, while Turining Leaf is one brand in another barnful, Gallo.

Beringer is also multi branded. Right now (as of 1999) the "Founders Estate" line is fairly good. Their upscale line, though, is very spotty.

Of all the Mondavi brands, their "Coastal" line is just about the best in their price point. Again, the upscale stuff is very good to excellent, but not very financially approachable.

Agree with previous comments on the last three.

- winoweenie - 04-22-2001

Hi Lil'. To be more specific about the "upscale " wines here is a short rundown. Beringer Knights Valley. Always close to the top in P/Q. Beringer Alluvium. A delicious Bordeaux blend that gives tons of bang for the buck for lovers of this style. Beringer Private Reserve. A proven top-notch wine from almost every vintage since its' intro in 77. Expensive? Worth it? I<MHO in todays market a resounding Yeah. Mondavi Coastal. Good P/Q wine that is made in a sound, safe style but not extremely exciting.Mondavi Napa. Can at times be outstanding and a candidate for aging.Mondavi Reserve. Like the Beringer, a top-notch wine capable of holding it's own against the worlds finest. Kendall-Jackson has embarked on an ambitious program of premium wines that will range from 50 bucks upward. The Cardinale bottling made an outstanding 97. Lakoya also made 3 marvelous bottlings in 97. Jess J has a good track record so I tend not to discredit his moves.Well, anywhoos, that be my teeny takeon the brands you questioned us 'bout. I'm surprised you didn't mention Beaulieu Vineyards, One of the oldest and, IMHO, one of the finest purveyors of juice in the industry. They make a very fine line of lower-priced varietals under the Beau Tour label, a fine estate Cab named Rutherford, a marvy Bordeaux style named Tapestry, and still one of the great Cabs produced anywhere under the Georges De Latour Private Reserve label. Very ageworthy and has a history very few Wineries in Calif can match.(1936 was the first vintage). Of course, there are many other great wines being made that never hit the shelves of your friendly wine shop, but these should get you drinking in the right direction. WW

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 04-22-2001).]

- Lil Ryan - 04-22-2001

Wow, I didn't expect to get into a discussion on price points. As I mentioned before, I'm drinking on a student budget (which means <$15 per bottle).

I'm just starting to get a sense of brands, and I don't want to get them too muddled. But isn't it true that price isn't always a good predictor of quality?

[This message has been edited by Lil Ryan (edited 04-22-2001).]

- mrdutton - 04-22-2001

Quote: >>But is true that price isn't always a good predictor of quality?<<

True.....oh how true........

- Innkeeper - 04-23-2001

A review last week by two respectable critics on the 1996 Beringer Private Reserve: "Judged to have a celery seed aroma, a bit of fruit, but was otherwise plump and simple, and lacked acidity." Therefore IMHO Ryan would be better off sticking with the "Founders Estate" line even if he could afford more.

- winoweenie - 04-23-2001

Respectable Critics! One of them was probably the same one who said the 82 Bordeaux Vintage was Overblown and Clumsy. WW I've found the 96 to be in need of at least another 10 years and think maybe they mite be confusing Celery Seeds wif' bad breath. WW