WineBoard
Winos of the world unite! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Winos of the world unite! (/thread-18364.html)

- pergamum - 05-20-2000

A couple of questions for all you winos out there! I'm curious, how many of you drink in excess of one bottle of wine a week (I want to reassure myself that I'm not an alchoholic). Alos, I'm from Binghamton, NY (ranked the tenth unhappiest place to live by USA Today)--I cannot get my hands on a bottle of Pinot Noir from the Russian River Valley, does anyone know where I could find a site that ships to upstate New York from aforementioned location?

- Innkeeper - 05-20-2000

Our favorite right in your own state is www.popswine.com . They have at least three
Russian River Pinot Noirs listed, and will ship to you. We would go with the Alderbrook. We (and I do mean we) drink a bottle a day, but nothing else.

- hotwine - 05-20-2000

We usually take two days to finish a bottle from Sunday to Friday evenings. Saturday night is our gourmet night, when we work together to prepare a special meal, and enjoy an equally special bottle of wine; so on Saturday night, we consume a full bottle.
Like Innkeeper, we don't drink anything else, that is no other alcoholic beverages (except for the occasional Dos Equis, which might be substituted for the wine if we're having Mexican food).

- Drew - 05-20-2000

The same for my wife and I, two days to polish off a bottle. On our days off we also target a specific wine to food for a special meal.

Drew

- Thomas - 05-21-2000

Non other than Louis Pasteur recommended in the nineteenth century that 375ml of table wine each day was both healthy and pleasurable.

I live by that rule--admittedly some days I live by it twice!

- Thomas - 05-21-2000

Incidentally, you are an alcoholic when you cannot put it down and you cannot function in life without it, and when breakfast begins with a drink! Sounds like me when I was in the Air Force, but I got over it--that was not alcoholism, that was a combination youth, survival and the Vietnam War!

- hotwine - 05-21-2000

Foodie, I might have done the same thing back then, had booze been available; but our CG had declared its mere possession a violation of Art. 99 of the UCMJ, Misbehavior Before the Enemy. So the few occasions I came near the stuff as a young Army Lt remain memorable, such as Bordeaux & escargot at La Forgot's in Nha Trang, Dec '67; the case of Henessey 5-star miniatures (144) that I requisitioned from a GSA catalog as "medicinal brandy"; and sharing with a friend a bootlegged fifth of Chivas out of a rusty canteen cup, behind the hootch at base camp in northern I Corps sometime in the summer of '68. And of course, R&R in Hawaii. Canlis' was open then, and we hit that place twice during those five days for truly superb food and wine.

- mrdutton - 05-21-2000

Generally speaking we average two to three bottles a week.

We might go for a few days without any wine at all. Then we might have a bottle between us every night. But it all averages out.

I remember those days, Foodie. I've had a few Bud Power Breakfasts myself. You are right, it was not alcoholism, it was stress relief and youth.

- Innkeeper - 05-21-2000

When I was in Nam, the guys in next room could tell I was home when they heard: thud, snap, snap (church key no snap tops) and a clang 15 seconds later, followed by the same deal 15 seconds later. Somehow, guess we all survived that.