WineBoard
where do i learn more about wines - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: where do i learn more about wines (/thread-18336.html)

- keithbgolfin - 05-30-2005

Hello i am new to the wines bussness and i was wondering where i can go to learn more about wines. Which wines are the best and how to tell the difgference

- hotwine - 05-31-2005

You say you're new to the wine business? Are you in retail? Or are you simply new to wines?

In general, suggest you read as much as you can about wines, and taste, taste, taste. Make notes on those you like and those you dislike. Attend tasting events in your area, or visit wineries if there are any near you. And taste, taste, taste.

- wondersofwine - 05-31-2005

Some recommended books that people on the board have found helpful: Andrea Immer's "Great Wines Made Simple," "The Wine Bible," and "Wine for Dummies." All will help you learn the basics and answer many of your questions about wine.

- wineguruchgo - 05-31-2005

Hi Keith,

Welcome to the wineboard.

Ok - lots to learn here. The books that are mentioned are a great resource. The internet will also be your friend here. Many wineries have their own websites and you can look or download the fact sheets.

Also, if you are a member of Netflix or any of the other DVD mailorder movie sites you can search the word "wine". There are several DVD's out there that are pretty good.

Lastly, use this site. You will see on the main page that almost all wines are broken down by varietal. There are a lot of tasting notes available.

See http://wines.com/wine_education.html

Or go to the WINES.COM homepage and click on "Learn About Wine".

[Edited by Wines.com webmaster]

[This message has been edited by Jackie (edited 05-31-2005).]

- hotwine - 05-31-2005

Hate to be a killjoy guru, but re-posting that long littany of varietals just eats up memory on the server. Better to post a link to it.

- Jackie - 05-31-2005

Agreed. I have edited the message in favor of a link.

Jackie

- hotwine - 05-31-2005

Thank you ma'am.

- immolation75 - 06-17-2005

I too am new. I found that the library was great. I checked out a couple of books and learned a ton. Someone else mentioned going to wine tastings. These are phenomenal. You can buy a taste for anywhere from $1-$3 or some will let you pay X amount for the whole tasting that night that they have set up. Even your local little wine store usually does them (around the midwest Arrow Wine, Dorthy Lane Market).

I go to a great place in a tiny little town called Yellow Springs, OH. They have a fabulous but expensive restaurant, which I've never ate at, and every Fri. night they have wine tasting. It's great! I've learned allot from that. It's called "The Winds" btw..they have a website if anyone is interested. www.windscafe.com

- wondersofwine - 06-20-2005

Immo,
Sounds like you are approaching wine knowledge with sense and enthusiasm. In Fayetteville, NC two restaurants offer free wine tastings and even one grocery store gets into the act (at a time when I'm usually at work and can't make it). I also drive to Raleigh, NC to attend special paid tastings and to go to wine dinners where the chef matches fine food to fine wine. I have one tomorrow night at a French restaurant where we will be having Provencal menu and wines outdoors (if weather cooperates).

- immolation75 - 06-21-2005

The last event you mentioned is something I'd like to try. My next door neighbor has been a real help with wine knowledge. He's a floor supervisor at one of the nicest restaurants in Dayton and treatd my wife and I the other night. He brought out three wines for us to try (a reisling, pinot noit, and a zinfindel....all three fabulous). I chose the zinfidel to go with my garlic shrimp fetuccini alfredo and my wife went with the reisling with her tuna stack. But he also mentioned what you said...that we could come in and do a full course meal and the chef would match a wine to go with each course. As a lover of food, and now wine, that would be fabulous.

- wondersofwine - 06-21-2005

Sounds like you should take him up on it for a special occasion--birthday or anniversary, etc. (or even a weekend celebration without a special occasion).