WineBoard
YYUUKK!!! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: YYUUKK!!! (/thread-18306.html)

Pages: 1 2

- vinowazoo - 03-25-2005

Just tried a bottle of "Hardys Whiskers Blake Tawny Port" today and it was awful.

Anyone know of a wine on the order of Lambrusco – Riunite but without the fizz. maybe something even a little less soft but still sweet.

i have always loved the Lambrusco but i need a slightly different taste

thanks for any info,
cheers

- wineguruchgo - 03-25-2005

That's a tough one for reds. For whites my first instinct is to point you towards the German wines (riesling, gewurtz) or dessert wines. There are some red dessert wines that have a high sugar content.

Hold tight. I'm sure some of the others will have opinions for you.

Thanks for the giggle by the way. I liked the Heading of your topic!

- Bucko - 03-25-2005

Whiskers Blake is an inexpensive and delightful Tawny Port -- guess it is not for you.

- vinowazoo - 03-25-2005

no i guess the Tawny Ports are not for me.

And the never ending search continues.

- TheEngineer - 03-25-2005

If you are looking for sweet reds, I've got two unfortunately hard to find and pricier examples that you may like as they are SWEET....but not sparkling.

From Germany, Messmer's 2001 Burrweiler Schlossgarten Spatburgunder Weissherbst Auslese (half bottle). It is a Pinot Noir (as noted in the name "Spatburgunder"). I've been told that it is a rose with a golden pink hue, with aromas and flavors of wild berries, roses, and a taste of honey. Not cheap at the equivalent of about $60-70 per full bottle. (My order is more than a few months away on this and I've been waiting a while).

From Canada is a Cabernet Franc Icewine from Inniskillin. I personally love icewines but find this one a bit cloy but if you are after a sweet red, this one should be worth trying. A strong acidity balances it out really well so that you don't notice the strong sweetness as much as you should (thought it is SWEET). This runs about $60 a half bottle (or about the equivalent $120 per full bottle which is not how it is sold in).

[This message has been edited by TheEngineer (edited 03-25-2005).]

- vinowazoo - 03-26-2005

It seems like this would be a good time to make an investment in a winery that produces an affordable yet sweet red.

The market is out there, I just don’t understand why it is not easer to find this type of wine.

If someone were to invest in a distillery for example, create and clearly label their wine by stages of sweetness of some sort…..

I feel you would be a top seller

- Innkeeper - 03-26-2005

All you have to do is visit a local winery. Practically all wineries east of the Rocky Mts. make both reds and whites across the entire sweetness spectrum. If you can't find such a place, and your state is full of them, check out: http://www.mountpleasant.com/

- vinowazoo - 03-26-2005

Thank you all

I started looking around in my area following Innkeeper's advise and found

www.michiganwines.com

I have plenty of sampling to do so I better get to it.

cheers

- Thraz - 03-27-2005

I don't know Lambrusco so this may be off the mark, but if you are looking for sweet red wines, you could give Banyuls and Maury a try. Both from the South of France. Both are made primarily (or entirely) with grenache. Usually in the $20 range.

- wondersofwine - 03-28-2005

Too bad you don't like the fizz. I would suggest Banfi Brachetto Rosa Regale, a sparkling red wine from Italy that tastes like strawberries (and is good with chocolate). Also, have you tried Sangria? You can find Real (a brand name) Sangria and perhaps some others at the grocery store. This wine has fruit juices in it and you might like it.

- Botafogo - 03-28-2005

There are actually a LOT of slightly sweet, still reds made in Italy. Not that many get here though. We offer two at varying levels of intensity and price:

Ciù Ciù Marche Rosso IGT San Carro 2003, Offida, le Marche $14.99 ORGANIC
Walter and Massimiliano were on a spiritual quest with this wine: they wanted to literally bottle the source of all of the gifts of Mother Nature in their zona, the huge, warming, life giving Mediterranean Sun! A blend of Barbera, Merlot and Sangiovese, this is incredibly rich with a slight sweetness balanced by firm tannins and we could imagine it enlivening anything from a plate of Gorgonzola and dried figs on the deck to Tandoori Chicken, serious red sauce BBQ or even Blackened Red Fish.

and

Podere dal Nespoli Forli Sangiovese Teluccio 2003, Emilia-Romagna 500ml $36.99
This is completely over the top, made in an Amarone headed towards Port style by air drying the grapes. Serve it with big cheeses, game stew, tandoori platters or maybe just a good book, a comfy chair and a roaring fireplace....

Cheers, Roberto

- stevebody - 03-28-2005

Second that rec by WoW. Just had the Banfi two weeks ago at a family dinner and everybody's still talking about it. It's gonna set ya back a lot more than a bottle of Riunite but it's elegant stuff. Also, Marco Felluga makes a Moscato Rosso (which is what the Banfi is) that's just beautiful. Might atke some looking, though.

- Botafogo - 03-28-2005

Steve (and Verne), it drives me CRAZY that Banfi (an American owned winery in Toscana), who buys their Brachetto from a co-op and brands it (they made their millions on and learned how to di this with, wait for it, Riunite!) gets all the notice when truly great Brachetto from estates who specialize in it (Marenco, Il Falchetto and others) can be had for the same price.... I guess that is what better distribution will do for you.

Rant over, Roberto

- Kcwhippet - 03-28-2005

Not to continue the rant, Roberto, but I totally agree. We sail over to Long Island from Connecticut occasionally and we've heard of the Banfi estate on LI. Haven't checked this on the web yet, but someone in the LI wine business says it's so. So, that means Banfi is really a US concern, not Italian. Got to look for the one you recced.

- Georgie - 03-29-2005

Send me the rest of the Hardy's...I love it.

- wondersofwine - 03-29-2005

Roberto, Verne didn't weigh in on the Banfi. WW is Verne, WOW is wondersofwine (Jane). You are correct that the Banfi Brachetto is probably better distributed and promoted. I first tried it at a Banfi seminar on Italian wines at a charity event (The Triangle Wine Experience). Wouldn't mind trying some other Brachetto examples if I could find them in Raleigh.

- downriverlynn - 03-30-2005

hello ..there are many sweet and semi-sweet reds...just have to look hard. from new york if memory serves...bully hill makes sweet walter red. from pelee island they make one called semi-sweet merlot. right here in michigan try grand traverse select's sweet traverse red.a visit to michigan wineries may help.good luck.

- downriverlynn - 03-30-2005

P.S. the wines i suggested are all under $10.

- stevebody - 03-30-2005

Guys:

I know, I know...I'd prefer the Marenco and Il Falchetto to the Banfi and I'd prefer the Felluga to them all but I never SEE either of the first two here in Sea-patch and the Felluga, for whatever reason, has only been passed by the state in the last year. The Banfi is just THERE, and I'm so nuts for Moscato Rosso that I'll take what I can get. Believe me, I have no urge to do Banfi any particular favors. They've made some of the most insipid Chianti Classicos I've EVER tasted.

- graywolfe - 12-31-2005

Hardy's is a terrific Tawny, and a great buy as well. No accounting for taste I suppose. Was that the first Tawny you tried, or have you liked others before and just loathed this option? I consider it the best Port deal I've come across thus far. Got it on sale for $10 a while back and it was amazing value considering good Port is generally impossible to find at under $16, and good Tawny is impossible to find at less than $25 or thereabouts (beyond Ficklin which I'm going by word of mouth on, never having tasted myself).