WineBoard
new wine drinker looking for something sweet - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: new wine drinker looking for something sweet (/thread-18277.html)

- madrobigirl - 12-22-2003

I know I like Manischewitz and Mogen David, but am interested in learning others that may taste similar. Any suggestions? Thanks.

- Innkeeper - 12-22-2003

Hi Mad, and welcome to the Wine Board. For whites look for rieslings such as Kabinett or Spatlese Rieslings from Germany or rieslings from the U.S. that do not say "dry" on the label. For reds look for Lambruscos from Italy. For a wine that is dry buy fresh and fruity look for an '03 Nouveau Beaujolais that are currently available.

- BaggerVa - 12-25-2003

Mogen David...wow...bad experience with that stuff. The first time I... with my ex she had consumed a large amount of that... I dont know how appropriate the story is for this board...just drink that stuff in moderation, take my word for it =p

- Brom - 12-26-2003

You will find very few wines similar at all to the wines you have note.

Both the M & the MD are made from Concord grapes which are substantially sweeter than the grapes normally used for table wines.

If you are from an area where they make wine locally (they make wine in 49 states but you may not be close to the wine region) visit local wineries and ask for wines made from native American grapes, vitis labrusca.

Try New York wines such as Bully Hill which have national or near national distribution.

Even those American Rieslings called dry Riesling are generally not dry, but they will be dissimilar to Manischewitz or Mogen David.

Another dissimilar wine, but easy to find and inexpensive would be white zinfandels. Most are sweet but ask your merchant for one that is sweet anyway.

- madrobigirl - 12-29-2003

Just want to say thanks for the suggestions. Thus far I have tried Riesling Kabinett and Guwertztraminer and like them both. I will now try a White Zinfadel and search out Bully Hill. Even though Manischewitz Blackberry is still my favorite, it is good to have others that I like on hand as well. If anyone thinks of any others along these lines, please let me know. Thanks again.

- Thomas - 12-29-2003

Just for the record: concord grapes are no sweeter than any other grape used to make wine, depending upon ripeness and climate, of course.

The wines madrobigirl (whew!) posted are wines made with added sweetness, plus they have that so-called "foxy" native grape quality, which isn't foxy at all (ever smell or taste a fox?), just grapey.

And a blanket statement about American Rieslings called dry not being dry--need to define the word dry (relative to wine) before making such a claim. Dry does not necessarily mean lack of sugar.

As for Bully Hill Vineyards, most of their wines are produced from French-American hybrids, some are produced from Vitis labrusca, and a small lot are produced from Vitis vinifera grapes. Just about all their wines are laced with substantial residual sugar.

- terrbear - 01-13-2004

Hi Mad, Hope I'm not too late to throw my suggestions out there. I just joined, but just had to respond to your inquiry. I myself love a sweet wine but have moved up to better quality of wines than the M and MD.
Foodie definetly knows his stuff as I've been reading his responses. I have found that a Late Harvest Reisling will satisfy the sweet tooth. We have several wineries here in Washington that produced an excellent Late Harvest. Hogue cellars and Washington Hills are the two I stocked up on.
The other option is to make your own as I have learned to do and sweeten to your liking. goodluck, terrbear

- wineguruchgo - 01-13-2004

Anything that says "late harvest" on the lable will be sweet! The grapes are left on the vine for a longer period of time (hence the name) which allows the sugar level to rise.

Depending where you are, if you can find Maison Nicolas Sauternes you will love it. It's very inexpensive yet not as syrupy as other Sauternnes.

- Tastevin - 01-13-2004

Hello Wineguruchgo,You mention Maison Nicolas Sauternes as being inexpensive. I would be very interested to know what price is retails at, including tax, in the States.

- Springer29710 - 01-13-2004

Wine Lovers' Online Searchable Database

dry
How dry is dry? This is the question. Literally, the term applies to the amount of sugar remaining in the wine. Bone-dry wines have had most if not all of their sugar fermented out (most wines whose residual sugar level is below 4/10 of a percent can be called Dry). Late-harvest wines can have sugar levels ranging from the 6 to 20 per cent levels and are called sweet (isn't that a surprise?).

- Kcwhippet - 01-13-2004

Tastevin,

"Maison Nicolas" is a label made for the US export market by Nicolas, a large French company that bottles wines many areas of France. We can get Maison Nicolas Chardonnay, Merlot and a number of other varietals. The Sauternes retails for about US$11.

- wineguruchgo - 01-13-2004

KCWhippet - you are right on the money there. Have you tried their Pinot Noir? Great little bottle for the money. I use it in two of my restaurants because it actually tastes like Pinot and it's very inexpensive.

- marleyspud - 01-13-2004

I really enjoy Chenin Blanc, especially with food. It is somewhat sweet, without being overpowering.

- Kcwhippet - 01-13-2004

I've tried probably most of their line at the shop. It's OK, just not my style.