WineBoard
Any suggestions? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Any suggestions? (/thread-18272.html)

- greener - 12-15-2003

Hi All,

I'm new to wine and wines.com. With sooooooo many wines out there to choose from, I need some help narrowing down the choices. I like white fruity wines like Ballatore, although I'm not real crazy about the bubbles. What would be a good fruity wine, without bubbles? I like sweet wines also like riesling. Had some eiswine this weekend and it was great although perhaps a little too sweet. Any white fruity to sweet an fruity wine suggestions?

- White Wine Lover - 12-15-2003

I'm a novice, too, but it just so happens, that based on a recommendation from this board, I tried a wine last night that sounds like you might like it, based on what you said in your posting. It's called a Gewurztraminer, and the one I had was a Washington state wine. It was, to me, a bit sweet and reminded me of a Riesling, although there was, in addition to a citrus taste, also a bit of spice? Wait for Innkeeper and some of the other really experienced wine tasters to reply. I wish I could describe wine like Innkeeper does! I'll just keep on tasting.... [img]http://38.118.142.245/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

- wineguruchgo - 12-15-2003

Hello Greener,

Welcome!

I agree with White Wine Lover about the Rieslings and Gewurtztraminers from Washington State. Chateau Ste. Michelle makes a wonderful Riesling that is affordable, although most German wines are affordable as well.

If you are looking for something a little tropical, try Sauvignon Blanc. This wine will taste like fresh mangos although it will finish dry. Perfect with food (cheeses).

If you want a wine with a little drier finish try the Rieslings and Gewurtztraminers from the Alsace region of France.

Hope this helps you.

Happy Holidays!

- Thomas - 12-15-2003

Muscat or Moscato (with or without the fizz). Vouvray would also appeal to you, I think.

- Georgie - 12-15-2003

I enjoy Rosemount Traminer Riesling. Sweet and fruity.

- winedope1 - 12-15-2003

second on the Chateau St. Michelle Gewurtz and the Moscato. WD

- John Moore - 12-18-2003

HI! Greener,
The reply above are all correct although I must add that since you've experienced Icewine recently and found it rather too sweet, try a GERMAN Kabinett, Spaetlese or Auslese. I suggest these because they are full of flavor without the heavy sweetness you noted in the Icewine you tried. The Kabinett(Fruity)
Spaetlese(semi-sweet)
Auslese(sweet, but not overly)
You will be very pleased I promise if you try these. If you need further help in securing some prime examples of these wines I've suggested then feel free to contact me at my e-mail~ IntWBrokers@yahoo.com as I have access to some tremendous GERMAN wines.

P.S.~ I am a wine broker/consultant

[This message has been edited by John Moore (edited 12-26-2003).]

- Kcwhippet - 12-18-2003

Email still isn't accessible - to me anyway.

- sedhead - 12-18-2003

Ditto.

- Innkeeper - 12-18-2003

Over a year ago, over my objections, e-mail address of all members except moderators were privitized. Some folks were complaining of getting a rush of unwanted e-mails.

- John Moore - 12-23-2003

Rest assured Innkeeper I NEVER send out e-mails to my clients or do I even ask them for theirs.
But I DO give them mine if they need to contact me so here it is for you all: IntWBrokers@yahoo.com

P.S>~ I am a wine broker!

[This message has been edited by John Moore (edited 12-23-2003).]

- winoweenie - 12-24-2003

Hi John. I've noticed the only time you post is to promote a specific wine that I imagine you're brokering. We have a thread on this board for free advertising/promotions. Please use it when promoting a product of yours. WW

- Kcwhippet - 12-24-2003

Totally agree, WW. It's fine to suggest certain wines to requests for such, but the blatant overhyping sure does turn me off. That belongs on the Promotion and Advertising thread only.

- Thomas - 12-24-2003

Ditto on the Promo/Adv thing. Hop to it moderators...

- John Moore - 12-26-2003

Just trying to be HELPFUL!
SORRY!!!

- winoweenie - 12-26-2003

To John Moores pocketbook? WW

- John Moore - 12-30-2003

I can only wish winoweenie (just kidding of course).

[This message has been edited by John Moore (edited 12-30-2003).]