WineBoard
Wine certifications - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Wine certifications (/thread-18257.html)

- anna - 06-13-2000

What are the differences, advantages, and disadvantages of these certifications? I've been told they help give you an edge in the wine industry (I suppose they ensure some sort of minimum education), but how are they really viewed?

Certified Wine Educator (from Society of Wine Educators)

Certified Wine Judge (from American Wine Society)

Master Sommelier

Master of Wine (I understand this is like getting a Ph.D in wine!)

Thanks for any information you can provide!

- Thomas - 06-13-2000

And the last shall be first! The last in your list is often viewed as the most prestigious of them all, for it is a prize given only to the most studied and educated palate, not to mention a most pronounced penchant and memory for details.

I believe the M. Sommelier encompases a lot of what is found in the Master of Wine program, but has the distinction of leaning toward restaurant service and knowledge.

The two others, I dare say, are likely more revered by members of the two organizations that sponsor them than by the wine trade itself, but I could be wrong. Anyone?

- Jason - 06-13-2000

Yes, you are right on some points, but I think that MS and MW are on equal playing fields.
Both are British orginizations. The big difference lies in that there is a service part of the MS program and MW replaces this with a thesis.
This is based on the fact that that the MW is a big factor in Britain where retail is king. In the US, restaurants rule, and that is why we have over half of the MS in the world. (The highest concentration being in Vegas.)
In general, the MS seem to be the people
running large beverage progams and the MW are the writers and stick to the more academic areas.
I don't know anything about the judging part, buit I have heard of the certified wine educator. This seems to be a good way to self police the industry and standardize what info is being taught out there. It looks by no means easy, but my impression is that it is not as rigorous as MS or MW.
If memory serves there is only about 17 MW in the US, and about 100 MS world wide.
MW has been aroung about 50 years, MS about 25. The years, compared to the graduates, should tell you just how hard these courses truly are. There simply is no way to BS yourself through these courses, so those who make it have surely earned a higher level of knowledge, and thus industry respect.

- Scoop - 06-14-2000

The road to a MW is replete with tests at different levels along the way, and the farther you go, the more difficult it gets.

Sponsored through the Wine and Spirits Education Trust (WSET), a UK-based organization, the combination of course work and exams is run through the International Wine Center in NY (headed by Mary Ewing Mulligan, author of the "Wine for Dummies" series). It can also be done in part by correspondence. I don't know if its offered on the Left Coast (maybe in San Fran?). Once you approach the MW, I believe you have to go to the UK for the exams (which can take years to pass!)

The first step is to pass the Higher Certificate course, a 14-week, whirlwind survey of the world's wine regions (with appropriate tastings, of course), along with the learning of (and use of) the WSET tasting "system". One needs a good general knowledge of wine beforehand -- and enthusiasm for the subject -- to take this segment. It's biased toward the British wine market (California, for example, gets short shrift, while Eastern Europe gets equal time), but it is a British outfit after all. The exam consists of 100 (fairly arcane) multiple choice questions and a couple of theoretical tasting notes based on the WSET "way". 70% is passing; above 90% is "with distinction". Those "with distinction" get preference for spots if space is tight for the next level, which goes into much greater depth relative to the wine regions and tastings. The course work takes two years, and the exams consist both of written and tasting segments. And you have to pass them all before you can move on to the MW segment; very few pass all the mid-level exams the first time, particularly on the tasting side.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Scoop