WineBoard
THANKS!! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: THANKS!! (/thread-18244.html)

- awatland - 12-22-2000

For nothing.........I asked a simple question with not a single response.

Not like I expected true enlightenment but there seems to be plenty of discussion from the other questions??? I have found another site that is much friendlier and much more informative.

The lack of a response tells me that the people at this "Friendly Board" are either to snobby to answer a question from someone who is obviously not a wine connoisseur or you just plain don't know as much as you would like others to think. Either way, I will not be returning to this site again.

- Drew - 12-22-2000

Obviously you don't visit forum boards often. When one doesn't get a response it means no one reading your post has an answer to your question, not that we're unfriendly or snobby or anything else negative...not all questions in life are answered.

Drew

- Bucko - 12-22-2000

Just like Drew's parent's are still asking why they ever had him...... [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

BadBucko

- Jackie - 12-22-2000

Awatland,

I second Drew's comments. This is a very friendly board. Newcomers are especially welcome.

I can't tell you how many nice comments we get from people who post messages here, particularly from those who come here to ask basic questions and learn more about wine.

If you didn't receive a response, it is because your 'simple question' was very narrow and no one who saw your message had an answer to it.

For those who are wondering what the beef is, here again is the question you asked.

Any takers?

---
"I have a bottle of wine dated 1972. the writing is all in French but the name "Henri
Maire" is on it with a title of "Les Abrupts - Grand Vin De Campagne".

Does anybody know what his wine is? Is it to old to consume? Is it valuable?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance"

---

- Catch 22 - 12-22-2000

awatland,
I have to disagree very strongly with your response. I, too read your question, but did not reply. Why? Because I didn't know the answer. But then again, I usually don't know the answer. That is why I keep coming back to this board. I don't post a whole heck of a lot, but I do read and continue to learn from what others have to say, and if per chance I can help someone, I will.
There are a lot of wine forums out there, but for the most part, the "wine snobs" aren't at this one. The people are very friendly to beginners, and most helpful, even if not grammatically perfect (you know who I mean WW).
Maybe you've just had a bad day, and took your frustrations out on the keyboard. I suggest that, because I've posted in anger here and at other BBs, and regretted it. Come on back, look through some of the past postings in the "Novice" category, and you'll see what I mean about the people here being helpful to beginners

Jeff

- mrdutton - 12-22-2000

I've entered a lot of posts here in the past year or two that I've frequented this board.

Some serious, some silly, some absurd. But I've NEVER heard a bad word spoken about any of my posts.

Some jives and some jokes, but nary a bad word.

I saw your posting and, like many others, did not respond. Why? Because your question was beyond my realm of experience.

Merry Christmas to you and to you all a good night!

- Thomas - 12-22-2000

People are strange!!!!

- Bucko - 12-22-2000

People are too sensitive....... I like to jibe with the regulars here, but I think that we treat everyone with respect. If I ever said anything good about WW or IK or Foodie, they would call my doctor to find out if I was terminal. Thicken up your skin a bit, stick around, learn and have some fun to boot. NO ONE has all of the answers, but we can dang sure answer the majority thrown our way....

Bucko

- janrob - 12-24-2000

I have forwarded your question to www.winelife.homestead.com. From his/her answer it seems that Henri Maire is the most well known producer in a very small, and little known area of Arbois in Jura (near Burgundy). Also your question was very vague as they produce sherry like wines, dessert wines, red, white, rose, and sparkling. Anything other than their Vin Jaune (sherry) wine would be over the hill, and 'winelife' assumes this is one of their sparkling wines, which would definitely be bad by now.
This is a 'novice' board and perhaps the difficulty and vagueness of the original question may be the reason for the lack of response. Maybe an apology might be in order.
Happy holidays to everyone.

- NikoChow - 12-24-2000

I think this person woke up on the wrong side of the bed. I don't know anything about wines and sometimes I feel like I am asking the most ridiculous questions but I have never thought the "regulars" were snobby. The only way to learn is to read the postings, all of them and darn it you guys are helpful. Happy Holidays!!

- Bucko - 12-24-2000

Back at you NikoChow. We are trying to get the last of the wound-up kids off to bed at the in-laws house so that we can stuff stockings and wrap those last packages.

Merry Xmas to one and all who celebrate it.

Bucko