WineBoard
Suggestions for a newcomer - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Suggestions for a newcomer (/thread-18229.html)

- Logaire - 06-30-2004

I am a newcomer to the board and wines in general so I figured I'd ask for some advice. My fiancee is coming out to see me for the 4th of July weekend (in Maryland) and I thought I'd get a bottle of wine or 2 for the occasion, but since we both have had little experience with wine I don't know where to start. Since we are both new to the field I don't think we'd appreciate the quality of a $100 bottle but it is a special time so I'm not limited to the cheapest kinds either. If it helps I know she likes cherry flavored drinks.

- dananne - 06-30-2004

Pinot Noir generally has some cherry characteristics, and it generally is a bit more appealing for newbies as it is not as tannic as some other red wines. Just look over the Pinot Noir thread for a few suggestions. It's more raspberry than cherry, but try closing the evening with a bottle of Banfi's Rosa Regale Brachetto d'Acqui sparkling wine. I think you'll love it. Bubbly raspberries in a glass -- try it with some chocolate!

Oh, and a belated welcome to the board!

- Logaire - 06-30-2004

Thanks for your suggestions and the welcome. I'm going to go check out the Pinot Noir thread.

- oldworld - 06-30-2004

I agree with dananne about Banfi's Rosa Regale Brachetto d'Acqui, it's a fabulous, lip-smacking dessert wine. I'd also suggest Bonny Doon's Framboise (raspberry flavored)dessert wine or their Fresia sparkling wine (strawberry flavored and low in alcohol).
For lighter, fruit-forward reds, I think a softer Pinot Noir is a great idea- try Haley's Mill, Hinman, Pepperwood, or Castlerock. Or try Charlotte St. Shiraz/Cab/Chard (doesn't sound light, but it's really soft and refreshing, especially with a slight chill). A youg Sangiovese will also have bing cherry flavor.
Have a great 4th with your fiance!

- californiagirl - 06-30-2004

You might also want to consider a merlot. It tends to be smooth, easy drinking with slightly more tannins. I've enjoyed Sterling Merlot in the past- it should run you about $20. (Not the Vitner's selection at $12.)

When I first started getting into wines, this is the first red I really liked. You'll find that your tastes will evolve over time. Try a couple different varietals and wineries until you find your tastes.

Enjoy!

- Brom - 07-01-2004

"we both have had little experience with wine I don't know where to start"

Let us start with where you have started - you previous experience (no matter how little) with wine.

Have you ever had any wines that you liked?

If you have, that's where you want to go. If you goal is sensual pleasure rather than experimenting with wine, than stick to what has already worked.

When people say Pinot Noir can have cherry flavors they are correct. Very often, these flavors are only detectable by those experienced with drinking red wines, because the wine itself does not taste "like" cherry flavor, but only "of" cherry or other fruit flavors, noticeable through or in addition to the very noticeable undeveloped sensations of alcohol and tannic astrigency.

For many people with little experience in wine, a PN with what are described as terrific cherry flavors by more experienced oenophiles tastes simply like red wine.

For limited or non-experienced wine drinkers, I would normally suggest a California 'fruit bomb' Cabernet or a quality spätlese level German Riesling.

Those are my blind suggestions - let's go back to the beginning - have you ever had any wines that you liked?

If you don't remember the name, that's alright, state what you do remember: red or white, a little or not at all sweet, a lot of aroma or taste etc.

- Brom - 07-01-2004

What we do, once we find out what you have liked is, using the same general type of wine, look for suggestions to boost them to a higher quality level, thereby achieving the special occasion staus you seek.