WineBoard
Wine Tasting - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Wine Tasting (/thread-18218.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Thomas - 07-04-2004

I used to own and operate a winery in the Finger Lakes--1985--1993 and then I went on the road for a winery, and then for a distributor.

In 2000 I opened a wine shop in Manhattan with a partner, from which I have recently resigned.

Started in about 1989 to write about wine (and food) and to run classes--still do.

- oldworld - 07-05-2004

A woman who works with me is about to move to NYC (BF is going to culinary school).-sadly, she's the only person working for me who's learned to read my mind. She's a recent college grad (creative writing), new to wine, but very sharp and enthusiastic. She eventually wants to be a food/wine writer. I know it's an almost impossible field to break into, but she's trying to decide if she should spend more $ to get certain accreditations, or if she should should just start submitting articles and see what happens. Any advice would be appreciated.

- Thomas - 07-06-2004

Where are you located? Breaking into NYC can be tough but breaking in somewhere else can be a good start.

As for education--I know of no program that specifically gets one a degree in wine and food writing. Most of us come from either or both industries, or from neither but gravitate to it as writers first. I was a writer first and then a winemaker, but always a wine drinker (that's critical).

I am not much of a believer in most (not all) wine classes offered in NYC. Too much emphasis on the "upper status" and the "how much can you name about the 1855 classification and DOC regulations in the two greatest wine regions of the world," kind of nonsense. I have met and hired graduates or students of those wine certificate courses, and only one out of about a dozen truly has any real wine knowledge or even real feel for the product. The rest are trying--but I don't believe you can learn to have passion, not to mention common sense. The one success I mention has passion, has traveled and studied abroad, and has a food writer for a wife.

But if you want, have your protege contact me.

- Brom - 07-06-2004

"You are again displaying a complete inability to discuss a situation and are slowly entering into confrontational mode"

Let me see if I understand the situation here. If I disagree with you or anyone else, that is being confrontational. If you disagree with me, you are being non-confrontational.

No, I still don't understand it and I think the real situation is that you are likely over-sensitive and egocentric, unable to tolerate any disagreement at all with your chosen beliefs.

"Is that a problem for you?" I choose to use your own non-confrontational phrase here because it is easy to answer.

"we put a small amount in one glass, swirl and then pour it into the next and the next and the next"

Both of you guys do this? Yuck. What a disgusting and unsanitary habit. If somebody wanted to rinse their dirty, contaminated glass out into mine, then you could get an understanding of what confrontational actually means. I am not rinsing my glass with the mixed saliva of the 20 other people in the room no matter how tasteless anyone may believe it to be.

- Thomas - 07-06-2004

Brom,

You are quite tiring, and quite thick headed too. I will not answer your inane post.

- winoweenie - 07-06-2004

Add my disdain to this bore. WW

- Kcwhippet - 07-06-2004

Brom, You just can not give it up, can you? No matter what anyone says in rebuttal to one (or more) of your comments, you absolutely have to take it as a personal affront, and mount a counterattack. You have the thinnest skin of anyone I've ever encountered. Is it possible you have no close friends or acquaintances? I would not be surprised at all, because if you were of my acquaintance, I would quickly disassociate myself from you before you launched another one of your little squirts of vitriol at some perceived jab. What is your problem? (I really can't wait to see what this ellicits from the ole bromster)

[This message has been edited by Kcwhippet (edited 07-06-2004).]

- quijote - 07-06-2004

"...but tres gauche, eh?"

Still tilting at windmills, Brom? The word "gauche" means "left" and "left-handed" in French, so your scornful use of the word suggests that you have a bias against lefties. Very offensive.

- Kcwhippet - 07-06-2004

BTW, Brom, I just looked up the definition of internet troll. It all makes sense now. All of a sudden I feel sorry for you!! You poor thing!! I'm sure there's medication for that condition.

- californiagirl - 07-06-2004

Brom- the only thing I can say is that there is a difference between mature adults agreeing to disagree, and not-so-mature adult being confrontational and unable to hold a coversation without being rude and defensive. Your replies display the latter.

The thing that concerns me greatly is that you choose to be rude and confrontational on the novice forum. This should be a place where newbies can ask any question, no matter the subject, however the text, and get a helpful, honest and friendly answer. I cannot believe that you have continued to come back time and time again and display such immaturity no matter how many different ways you are told that it is rude and unappreciated.

In this country, we are about freedom- including free speech. But why do you persist to come back and argue over and over again? If you have joined this board because you truly enjoy wine and have knowledge to share, please, do so. But if you have only joined this board as a means of taking out aggression and being confrontational, then please do me a favor, and pick a different wine board site. These people are kind, witty, extremely knowledgable, and very willing to help anyone- no matter how mundane the question, or elaborate.

I have joined to learn about wine. If you have knowledge and experience to share, please do so. As an adult holding a mature conversation. It is okay to agree to disagree. That's what this country is all about. But have some respect for everyone else, and don't be rude.

[This message has been edited by californiagirl (edited 07-06-2004).]

- winoweenie - 07-07-2004

Well said CG. Have you noticed the lack of an answer on the cab thread from this nerd? IMHO this cat knows as much about wine as my gold-fish. WW

- californiagirl - 07-07-2004

Thanks [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img] [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]