WineBoard
Total wine drinking newbie.... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Total wine drinking newbie.... (/thread-18171.html)

- zeusabj - 06-24-2003

Hello everyone!

As my subject line implies I'm fairly new to the world of wine! I've recently taken to trying a different wine every time I go to a nice restaurant with my wife and am truly beginning to develop an affinity for it. However I've run into a bit of bad luck when it comes to buying wine by the bottle.

I tend to get eager to try a particular variety, purchase it, then (more often than not) once I get home and taste it I find that particular variety is simply not be for me and wind up pouring the whole bottle down the sink in disgust! Needless to say this is a rather poor method of finding out which wines suite my taste buds the best! I'm hoping that some of the “more experienced” wine drinkers here can recommend a few better ones for me to try.

Of the few wines I've tasted I seem to prefer lighter wines to dark reds but I'd really appreciate it if anyone can recommend a red that will suit my palette. To give you an idea about the tastes I prefer so far I’ve found that these two are my favorites:

Chateau St. Michelle Johannesburg Riesling
Ernest & Julio Gallo Twin Valley White Zinfandel

In my search for a good red I have found two that I consider to be “okay” but I’m certain there is another red out there that will suit me better. The two I currently buy are:

Rosemont Estate Diamond Shiraz
Bellagio Chianti (Not sure if this is the correct name but it comes in a wicker flask)

The next wine I was planning to try was a Sandeman Porto. Based on what I’ve mentioned here about the wines I prefer does anyone think this is a poor choice for me? Also if there are any other varieties anyone out there feels will appeal to my tastes please feel free to make suggestions!

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

- Georgie - 06-24-2003

Hi, Zeusabj and welcome to the board. The Sandeman Porto is a dessert wine. Very sweet- meant to be sipped slowly after a meal. I love Port and this is one (of several) that I like.. You only pour 1 1/2 to 2oz. of this. It's not a wine to drink during the meal. Hope this helps.

- Innkeeper - 06-24-2003

There are better wines of the type you like. Look for the following chiantis: Cecchi, Antinori's Santa Christa, Castello di Gabbiano, and Straccali. For shiraz try: Black Opal, Hill of Content Grenache/Shiraz, Jacob's Creek Cabernet/Shiraz, Lindemans Bin 59, Lindemans Shiraz/Cabernet Sauvignon, and the lower priced Rosemount Shiraz and Shiraz blends. The Diamond Label line (their second tier) has gone to hell lately.

All these sell for less than $12.

- Thomas - 06-24-2003

Based on the wines you like, you are taking to soft, uncomplicated wines, which is not uncommon when you begin wine drinking. IK gives some good suggestions for easing into higher quality versions of the wines you seem to like.

One of the best ways to explore wine is to go to wine tastings--free or otherwise; keep notes. Another really good way is to take suggestions for wines that you can have with food. When you combine a wine with food it changes the way you perceive the wine on its own.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 06-24-2003).]

- zeusabj - 06-24-2003

Appreciate the advice!

Thanks Innkeeper, Georgie & Foodie for your replies. Especially thanks to Innkeeper for giving me a list of wines to try! I've copied the ones you recommended and will make it a point to look for them the next time I'm grocery shopping.

Anyone else have any recommendations?

- wondersofwine - 06-24-2003

You don't mention experience with Pinot Noirs (the grape used for red Burgundies.) It is usually lighter in body and less tannic that Cabernet Sauvignon. You might try Argyle Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley, Oregon or Villa Mt. Eden Pinot Noir from California if you see it at the grocery store or on a wine list. You might also try a Beaujolais Villages or a Cru Beaujolais from one of the special designations such as Fleurie, Brouilly or Moulin a Vent. Beajolais reds are from the Gamay grape and produce a light to medium bodied fruity red wine.

- zeusabj - 06-28-2003

Duly noted WondersOfWine! I appreciate your suggestions as well!