WineBoard
Personal Favorites - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Personal Favorites (/thread-18149.html)

- cd4814 - 07-13-2000

Note: I love this board!
I was wondering - since you all have been so helpful I have a favor to ask.
Some of you know I prefer Merlots, Cabs, and Pinot Noirs. (Winoweenie I guess I am a Red Purist too) I have tasted fewer than 30 bottles in any catagory and have yet to find a favorite in each catagory. The favor/challange is this:
post your favorite Merlot , Cabernet Sauvinon
and Pinot Noir for under $30. If you guys insist on topping $30 give me a good reason and I'll splurge. My goal is to find a favorite in each grape. With all of your feedback I plan to make a check list and start chugging to find the one I like best.

Thanks,
Clint

- hotwine - 07-13-2000

Glad you're enjoying the board. That's what it's all about.
Blackstone is my favorite Merlot. Will defer to the other members for the other varietals. You're sure to get some good recommendations.

- cd4814 - 07-17-2000

HW,
thanks for being the sole rsponse. I had a bottle of the blackstone 1998 over the weekend, It was terrific. I also tried a bottle of Pinot Noir, a reccomendation from one of the staff at the local wine shop.
Tasted terrible, so terrible I don't recall the name. The lable was very small and resembled a red postage stamp. $15 poured down the drain. It had an aftertaste that was sour.
BTW- is it possible to over post or ask too many questions? I dont wanna wear a welcome thin.
Thanks,
Clint

- hotwine - 07-17-2000

Clint, sorry no one else has picked up on your request for cab & PN info. Wish I could be helpful, but have been sticking recently to low- to mid-range European wines, rather than the Left Coast varietals, due to cellar temperature problems. (Wouldn't want to lay some good stuff down, only to have it cook.) There is one PN in the cellar - a Parducci - and the only cabs are Georges Duboeuf & Placido, both of which would be considered low-end by a lot of people. I've not yet tried the Parducci, so have no TN's to offer.
Bucko has commented favorably on the Columbia Crest Cabernet Sauvignon; believe his comments were posted either under that wine-specific forum, or under Best Buys, over the last six months or so. I also recall commenting on the Placido cab within the last few weeks, probably under Best Buys.
Glad you enjoyed the Blackstone.
Don't worry about asking too many questions. I don't think that's possible.

Gil, aka hotwine

- winoweenie - 07-18-2000

cd84-somethin, Welcome to the wunnerful world of RED. What you`re asking is a very nebulous question that can be answered with 50 other questions.How long before drinking? How much money in the categories?(There are IMHO superb drinkers in all price ranges, but the more expensive,by and large, need more time to develop). And then comes ole` demon distribution. Are they widely available? Put up some parameters and I`m sure you`ll get ALL kinds of free advice. I`ll be on the look-out for your answer. Winoweenie.

- cd4814 - 07-18-2000

WW,
I had set the price cap at under $30.
I am looking for a everyday kinda wine so drinkable now or within the year. Blackstone 1998 was a real winner so think in lines of that...$10-20. Thanks again to all.
Clint

- winoweenie - 07-18-2000

Clint,There are so many fine wines in the 10-20 catagory that I`ll list in mass. Cabs;Gallo " Barelli And Frei Vineyards ",Lockwood, Ironstone, Hess " Collection",Turnbull " Napa",Estancia "Meritage" and " Los Altos",Franciscan,Guenoc,B.V. " BeauTour", Lyeth " Meritage",Pedroncilli, "Alex Valley 3 Vineyards, St.Francis,Souverain,Whitehall Lane,Gundlach-Bundschu " Rheinfarm. If`n you`all `caint find nuffin you like in this group, please contact Foodie or IK for their lists of marvie Sissy-Whites . I`ll Give you the Pinots tomorrow Winoweenie

- Innkeeper - 07-18-2000

Besides the Blackstone, you might also try the Vichon for a wonderful Merlot value. In the Pinot category, have not found a better value than Sonoma Creek in the past two years. Winoweeie doesn't realize that we drink ten reds to one white or rose', but that makes us something similar to (I won't say it).

- cd4814 - 07-21-2000

IK,
I presume that these selections are not age specific. No one has mentioned a specific vintage.
any1> BTW, are Pinot Noirs "tangy" compared to Merlots or Cabs? I had a $15 Pinot that was recommended by a lady at the shop I buy from. It was my second Pinot ever.
The after taste was sour, not like vinegar but it was bad enough for me to pour out.
I had a $10 bottle months ago and I liked it - cant remember the vineyard or vintage.
thanks,
CD

- Innkeeper - 07-21-2000

Most of the wines mentioned here that do not have vintages attached are those that are good year after year. If there is an off year of one of our favorites it is usually flagged. See the note on Ravenswood Vinters Blend posted yesterday under the Zinfandel thread.

Getting back to Pinot Noir, there is a good list if you go back to 12/17/99 on the Pinot Noir thread with the subject "In Pinot Veritas." We concentrated on quality American Pinot under $15.00. Most of the wines mentioned there are just fine in current releases.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 07-21-2000).]

- raggedy1 - 10-26-2000

I'm not a huge Merlot fan, but I find Duckhorn merlots to be among the best. They do however surpass your price limit. The 98 Merlot, which I have not tried yet, is 42 retail. Try to get some Beaulieu Vineyards 1997 Tapestry. It is primarily a Cab in character and you can find it for under 30 dollars at discount stores. I think the entire Gallo line is underrated. For an everyday merlot, the Gallo Sonoma Merlots (97 and 98) aren't bad and they are less than 10 dollars. A good California Cab for less than 30? I'd sure like to know myself!

- Garbo - 10-26-2000

Foxen makes several delicious pinots which are my favorites. The least expensive is the Santa Maria Valley (around $20-25). The others are from single vineyards (Bien Nacido and two others I'm forgetting) and are slightly more expensive and harder to track down owing to limited production. All are yummmy. The winery is in Central California and I believe the tasting room ships, if you have trouble finding on the east coast.

- winoweenie - 10-26-2000

cd4814, haven`t seen anything from you on the wines reccomended by the board. Hope you took the advice and bought some of the marvelous 97 cabs and pinots listed. You don`t normally see vintages like 94 and 97 come this close together. Some of the 20-30 buck cabs are not good, they`re sensational.winoweenie