WineBoard
Monterey & Santa Barbara - where to go/stay? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Monterey & Santa Barbara - where to go/stay? (/thread-18122.html)

- lizardbrains - 09-16-2003

Okay, so... this isn't really a "wine" question, but more of a "where should I go/stay?" question.

DH, DD, and I are going on vacation. We'll be staying in Monterey & Santa Barbara. Do you have any recommendations on places to stay? I was thinking maybe a bed & breakfast? Something inexpensive, but not a Motel 6!

Also, anywhere that we could do winetasting with a 5 month old baby? If not a winery, maybe a restaurant to recommend to us?

Any suggestions for us? We're new at the baby-thing, so I'm not sure how that's going to fit in. But this is also our first vacation since our honeymoon 4 years ago, so we'd like to make it a good one.

And of course, the military doesn't really allow for much planning, so we'll be leaving tomorrow (in about 24 hours!) - so if you could respond in the next day, that would be great. :-)

I would appreciate any and all advice!

Thanks,
Elizabeth

- Innkeeper - 09-16-2003

Highly recommend the Navy Lodge at Monterey. Have stayed there three times, and are going back in January.

- joeyz6 - 09-16-2003

Elizabeth, go down to the wine touring folder and you'll see a thread on Santa Barbara from the last few days. I was just there last week and visited a few places. Bucko and others list a slew of other wineries you could try out. I don't see there being any problem with you bringing your baby.

- winoweenie - 09-17-2003

Go fer it LB. One of my favorite places in Monterrey is the Andriel Fireplace motel. I haven't stayed there for over 5 years but CB and I loved the place I've stayed there for 20 years.It's 1 block off the bay in back of a national park and just before you get on the 19 mile drive.Lovely cabins with living-room, dining room, kitchen and bedroom accomadations. They used to be more than reasonable. Maybe Monterrey Rick could call them and post their rates for you. Have a ball, WW

- wondersofwine - 09-17-2003

If you haven't already departed on your trip...
I lived in Monterey for three years in the 80's and three years in the 90's. Bed and breakfasts in the area tend to be very expensive. One of the nicest is Seven Gables Inn in Pacific Grove (http://www.7gables-grandview.com)
Best Western Monterey Beach Hotel is nice--oceanside rooms are more expensive than gardenside (800-242-8627). I liked Casa Munras Garden Hotel right in Monterey on my last trip back (www.casamunras-hotel.com). Less expensive still is the Carmel Sands Lodge in Carmel (a few blocks from Carmel Beach)--www.carmelsandslodge.com. There are also a bunch of relatively inexpensive motels along Munras Avenue in Monterey. Some are listed on http://www.explorer1.com/monterey/monterey2.htm.
You must visit Monterey Bay Aquarium. Allow a couple hours and they have a nice gift shop. Almost all of the nearby parking is metered (bring plenty of quarters) or they have shuttle buses from some of the hotels to get to the Aquarium and around town. Beautiful nature walks (if weather cooperates) go from Lovers' Point in Pacific Grove toward Asilomar and the 17-Mile Drive or at Point Lobos south of Carmel (there's a fee to drive your car into Point Lobos area, also a fee to drive along 17-Mile Drive but it gives very nice views of the shore and exclusive homes.) The baby may be a little young for the carousel (indoors near Cannery Row) and for play in Dennis the Menace Park.
Don't know if you and hubby are interested in touring the historic adobe homes in Monterey (I use to be a volunteer tour guide at Casa Amesti one Sunday a month). The Maritime Museum in downtwon Monterey might be of more interest to you. Carmel is full of expensive shops but also quaint houses on crooked tree-shaded streets, nice art galleries, etc. and lots of good restaurants.
Pacific Grove has a lot of Victorian homes (originally vacation cottages but now lived in year-round).
Several wineries have tasting rooms in Carmel Valley (Chateau Julien and others.) Bargetto and other wineries are represented in a tasting room in the Cannery Row area. Ask the receptionists at your inn or hotel or motel or check the telephone directory.
Rosine's in downtown Monterey is a great place for lunch--reasonably priced. For splurge dinners you have a lot of choices--including Anton & Michel in Carmel-By-the-Sea, John Pisto's Whaling Station Inn, IK's favorite the Sardine Factory. Probably in the more moderate cost category would be Monterey Joe's on Fremont Street (Italian food). The Barnyard (a wonderfully landscaped shopping destination in Carmel) has a number of restaurants in the reasonable price range.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 09-17-2003).]

- lizardbrains - 09-17-2003

Thank you for all of your responses. We'll actually be bringing the laptop with us - so I will be checking out those websites! Thank you!

If anybody else has good ideas, go ahead and post it - since I'll probably be checking periodically during our stint. :-)

I'll let you guys know how it goes!

-Elizabeth

- MontereyRick - 09-22-2003

Sorry I didn't see the inquiry earlier; I'd have been glad to chime in with some local advice, however, "inexpensive" and Monterey (& Santa Barbara for that matter), hardly go together, especially this time of year. This is the absolute best weather (was around 90 degrees on the beaches this weekend) time of the year. There are affordable motels, but hope you're looking a place to sleep only as they won't excite you much. Definitely better to spend your money on food, drink and outings than the room.

My guess is your trip to Monterey is either over or just about there. If you're still coming thru and need andy advice, please post again and I'll be glad to help.

Either way, you picked a great time to visit.