WineBoard
How Much!? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Collectibles/Auction News (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: How Much!? (/thread-1810.html)

- qvxsphere - 06-05-2007

I have two bottles in my possession of French Burgundy or Bourgogne, vintage 1981 and 1983. I have a feeling that these are rare and I would like to know about the price range they would sell for.

(1) 1981 Bourgogne
Hautes Cotes de Nuits
Les Caves des Hautes Cotes

(1) 1983 Bourgogne
Hautes Cotes de Beaune
Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin
Les Caves des Hautes Cotes

If any of you know anything about authentic French wines PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks,

qvxsphere

- dananne - 06-05-2007

While I don't know enough to venture a guess as to value, if any, on the collectable market, I do know that the producer is a large, but pretty well respected cooperative, and in the better vintage years, the wines are seen as decent values. However, they are also usually best consumed from 8-10 years from vintage, so these are certainly questionable given the age. The only way to tell for sure is to pop the cork, but I'd guess they'd be on the decline or dead. Also, the market isn't great on individual bottles of unsure provinence. Perhaps others will be able to add more information, and sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck.

- wondersofwine - 06-05-2007

Welcome to the board.
Dananne answered as I was typing.

The first one is probably not worth much. Not a premier cru or grand cru and quite a bit of age on it (maybe over-the-hill). I'm not as ready to dismiss the second one. The Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin is a respected group of people in the wine industry and this may be a special selection of theirs. According to the Berry Brothers and Rudd vintage chart neither 1981 or 1983 was a top vintage for red Burgundies. The vintages were rated 6 and 7 respectively out of 10. Also, single bottles of wine are hard to sell (collectors tend to buy by the case or half-case) and the buyer would want some guarantee that they have been stored in optimum conditions (around 55 degrees F. in a dark place free from excess vibrations.) You may want to just open them and try them yourself with a backup bottle if they are over-the-hill.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 06-05-2007).]

- winoweenie - 06-05-2007

Hi gvx and welcome to the board. Dan has pretty much said it all. Bourgone is next to the bottom rung of the wines from Burgandy and are vinified to be drunk early. Not really what you want to hear but that's the fact of the matter. Collectible wines must have verifiable provenance to have any chance of selling and just because the vintage is old doesn't mean zip when the value is computed. Sorry. WW

- qvxsphere - 06-05-2007

Thanks guys...

Looks like I'll be treating myself to some French Burgundy tonight!

- TheEngineer - 06-05-2007

That's the best way to enjoy wine!