WineBoard
Quest for Divine Chablis (the real stuff) fails again... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Quest for Divine Chablis (the real stuff) fails again... (/thread-18089.html)

- fangi - 03-15-2002

Hello Everyone,

Long time no speak...i keep answering my questions using the archives.

But i wonder if anyone can tell me about a Chablis called Val de Mercy. I ordered it at a sino-french restaurant alongside a shrimp dish. (suffice it to say neither the wine nor the dish did anything for each other. I picked off my dearheart's surf and turf instead.)

Anyway, here's the details of this wine, i couldn't find any info in Rosemary George's Chablis book, but i have an '89 version and this Val de Mercy seems to be a 'new thing'

Also, i managed to figure out that it's owned by Belgians, makes good bourgogne blanc, and seems to be known for its Chablis. However, the chateau itself is not in Chablis and there were no reviews of their Chablis that i could find.

Here's the details:
1996 Chateau du Val de Mercy, Montmains Chablis Premier Cru.

Overall it wasn't a very impressive bottle, and it ended up costing me 50 bucks at the restaurant...what a waste. No flint, no fruit, no stones, "green chardonnay" on the nose and no finish. Nice refreshing acid, but jesus i could've gotten a 10 dollar bottle of locally-made wine for that and been happy.Oh well.

So, what's the deal with this chateau anyway?

As always,
thanks

Brett

ps. I did have a very nice Chablis Saint Martin Domanine Laroche, 2000 sans food, alongside 2 other chablis from different producers in a little tasting i conducted with myself at the lovely 'Il Bar' in Philly. They have wine on tap goddammit! Woo Hoo. I also had a refreshing, spicy vino nobile di montepulciano, Tenuta Trerose 1996. (would be great with any number of light meat or pasta dishes!)

- Innkeeper - 03-18-2002

Not familar with that chateau. About the only way I like (real) Chablis is pulled from a mountain stream along with a brook trout; the later being simply grilled. Mother doesn't like the flinty, steely stuff at all. Mrdutton, on the other hand, loves it, and should have answered your question.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 03-18-2002).]

- mrdutton - 03-18-2002

Well if I get a chance to do some research, I'll see what I can find out about this wine.

It is not that I am such a super fan of Chablis more than I am a super fan of chardonnay without the massive quantities of oak that seem to come from Ca-ca.

How's that for an non-answer?

- Thomas - 03-19-2002

Just discovered, and brought into the store, Domaine Vocoret Chablis--2000; a simple but steely version as in the old style; good food wine. We sell it for $15 retail.

- fangi - 03-20-2002

Oh that's okay Mr. Dutton, that's truly how i feel about it too. No oak, what a blessing. Plus i love tricking people with it..."what, that's a chardonnay?"

But i'm also addicted to the challege of finding a good chablis. I have a feeling, as i get a bit older and begin to earn more money i will have that same addiction for all of burgundy. Trying to find values will be a challenge. Trying to figure out how long to age them, when to open them...These are the things i look forward to, as i don't have a place to store wine now.

Anyway, if you find out anything about that wine, i'd be interested to know. I bet the newer version of Rosemary George's book explains the deal with this chateau...but of course, i don't have that version.

Such is life.

brett

- fangi - 03-20-2002

Foodie,

that wine rings a bell, but i know i haven't tried it. how can i get it?

my parents live in new york...in piermont (rockland county, on the hudson)

I will be in New York 29th-31st of march, visiting, but i doubt i could make it to your shop. You're on the island?

I may make a stop a Zachy's. I've heard so much about that place, but never been. I may also go into manhattan to some of the wine shops mentioned in archives.

We'll see,
you don't ship less than a case do you?

cheers,
brett

- Innkeeper - 03-20-2002

Brett, a trip to Is-Wine (Foodie's) would be well worth the trip. It is at 225 East 5th Street (betweem 2d Ave and Cooper). Some neat restaurants in the area too.

I too am an oakaphobe. Most chardonnays that cost less than $20 from the Macon Region of Burgundy are oak free. The more expensive Saint Verans and Pouilly Fuisses are usually lightly oaked, but nothing like most New World Chardonnay. Speaking of New World; both Australia and New Zealand offer a few "unwooded" chardonnays. All I've tried have been good to excellent. Look for Plantagenet Omrah Unwooded Chardonnay. It runs around $13.

- Thomas - 03-20-2002

yep, we are on the island--Manhattan Island...

- fangi - 03-20-2002

IK-

yes, i've had some st. veran's, rully's and pouilly-fuisses and enjoyed them just fine. I'm really more of a reisling fan and i just discovered vouvray's. Then, the other night i had a lovely gewurtraminer with sausage cabbage and potatoes. YUM!

I'm sure one day, i will stumble across a truly delicious, well-made, unoaked chardonnay, a memorable one, but until i do i will always grab for the reislings first.

bf

- Kcwhippet - 03-21-2002

To add to IK's post, if you'd like a very nice Chardonnay with absolutely no wood at all, try the Kim Crawford Unoaked Chardonnay from New Zealand. It's about the same price as the Plantangenet.

- wondersofwine - 03-21-2002

I had a nice Macon-Chardonnay the other day from Domaine Talmard, vintage 2000. Slight mineral quality and slight lemony note. It went nicely with a Russian version of leek soup. The wine was nicely balanced--not too acidic but still crisp and clean. I find I don't care too much for the really flinty chablis wines--just a personal preference.