WineBoard
Oakiness and Sauvignon Blanc questions - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Oakiness and Sauvignon Blanc questions (/thread-18073.html)

- Marti - 02-23-2004

Hi guys,

Very new to wine...have been at the forums in the past trying to get info--has been very helpful.

Wondering how you know when a particular wine is "oakey" or not...(besides buying it and tasting it--what if you don't know what oakey is supposed to taste like)??? I have not developed a way to tell if a wine is "oakey" or not and I wish the bottles would advertise "unoaked" or "oaked" so that I could say to myself "okay, this is what oakey is because it says 'oaked'".

Second question: my favorite wine (so far anyway) is Sauvignon Blancs (I do not like reds except zinfandels for some reason). Why do the New Zealand and Californian Sauvignon Blancs taste so different? I am relatively poor, so I cannot spend more than $20 or so US dollars on a bottle, but even considering this, I've wasted up to about 20 bucks on a Californian S.B that were sweet and completely different than what I expected! Ick! I usually am always gratified with a New Zealand S.B. like Redbank or Geisen. I'm wondering why this is? ?

Well, since I brought it up, have any of you had the Redbank S.B? It is my absolute favorite but only $13 U. S./bottle. Is it possible to have a good wine at such a relatively low price?

Thank you in advance for the help. I know I will get good information and further my wine afficionado-ness...... hee-hee.

Marti

- Innkeeper - 02-23-2004

It depends on which kind of wine you buy. If you buy New World (regions outside of Western Europe) chardonnay, it will most certainly contain some oak if it doesn't say on front or back labels that it is made without oak. Most North American sauvignon blanc is treated the same, although some producers are beginning to emulate the New Zealand style in self defence. They usually let you know in label language or advertising. You may look to some of the French regions for both chardonnay and sauvignon blanc. Chardonnay made in Southern Burgundy know as Macon, are usually unoaked, particularly in lower price bottlings. Look for Macon Villages, Macon Lugny, and Saint Veran. For SB look to the Loire Valley. Wines of 100% SB included Sancerre and Pouilly Fume.

When I encounter an overoaked wine, the first sip makes my lower lip quiver. Sometimes the label or review of a wine will tip you off. Beware words like toasty oak, butterscotch, vanilla, or variations on these themes. It is certainly possible to get a good SB for $13; have had many excellent ones for even less.

- Tastevin - 02-23-2004

Hello Marti.
I suggest you tell your wine supplier about your preferences and interests. He/she should be able to advise you, if he/she cannot help you to your satisfaction then change supplier.
'Is it possible to have a good wine at such a relatively low price?' From what I've read on here, the answer must be yes. However, bear in mind the old saying 'one man's meat can be another man's poison'. If you are able to, taste before you buy.
As for the sweet S.B. if you post its details on here someone may have a pertinent comment.
A question for you now Marti if you don't mind. Does the Redbank S.B. have a natural cork, synthetic cork, or screw-cap? Also, which kind do you prefer and why please. Am doing some research.
I would be grateful for other members' wine bottle closure preferences.
T

[This message has been edited by Tastevin (edited 02-23-2004).]

- Thomas - 02-23-2004

Tastevin, let's take the cork issue over to the Rants forum--I'll meet you there and tell you my impressions.