WineBoard
Bordeaux - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Bordeaux (/thread-18062.html)

- Andrew - 04-12-2004

We have formed a neighborhood wine tasting group of completely novice wine drinkers. It is my turn to host. The host picks the wine type and each guest brings a bottle of that type. The catch is that it must cost less than $20 per bottle. We then do a blind taste test. My question is: If I ask them to bring a bordeaux, would that have to come from France? Could bordeaux come from California or Australia?

- winoweenie - 04-12-2004

Hi there Andrew and welcome to the board. By defination, Bordeaux is the area of France that produces some of the worlds' great wines. There are five major appellations, Pauillac, St. Estephe, St Emilion, Margaux, and Pomerol. There are other fine wine-growing areas but these are the 5 big ones. You can find lots of wines in the specified price range. Go with it and post your tasting notes with us.Have a ball. WW

- Andrew - 04-13-2004

Thank you, winoweenie! I think that's the one we'll have them bring. If you don't mind, I have another question.

If I wanted a bordeaux-type wine (I seem to really like dry red, full bodied wine) from the U.S. or Australia, what would I look for? Thanks!

- Innkeeper - 04-13-2004

California wines made in the Bordeaux style are called Meritage. There are other blends that approximate it. Look for cabernet sauvignon-merlot blends from California, Washington State, Australia, and Chile. In California if a wine is varietal (made from a single grape) there only has to be 75% of juice from that grape in the wine. Many producers blend other Bordeaux grapes into cabernet sauvignon and still just label the bottle varietally. You would have to get recommendations from your retailer or read the find print on the back label to find these.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 04-13-2004).]

- Kcwhippet - 04-13-2004

When you go to your retailer looking for a Meritage, be sure to show your wine knowledge and pronounce Meritage to rhyme with heritage. To use the term Meritage, wineries (not just those in CA) must belong to the Meritage Association. The only red grapes allowed to be used are the classic Bordeaux varieties - Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot, Petite Verdot and Malbec. For white wines, Sauvignon Blanc and Semillon are used, though you won't see many white Meritage wines.

- winoweenie - 04-13-2004

Andrew to aanswer your specific question the wines you should look for are from Paulliac or St Estephe as both are mostly cabernet based wines and the type you say you like are not in the Meritage styles but in the bold styles of basically cabernet based wines. WW

- wondersofwine - 04-14-2004

Australia produces many blends of cabernet sauvignon and merlot which might approximate a Bordeaux blend (some also blend in syrah or shiraz). Can't think of one to recommend in your price range offhand.