WineBoard
Traveling to Italy - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Traveling to Italy (/thread-18052.html)

- Soon to Travel - 03-07-2001

My husband and I are soon to take our first trip to Italy. We know little to nothing about wines, but are anxious to try. We will be visiting Rome, Siena and surrounding area, Florence, Venice, Milan. We have always heard of the fine Italian wines and would like to make them part of our experience. Please help with your suggestions.

- Innkeeper - 03-07-2001

Hi Soon to Travel, and welcome to the Wine Board. When it comes to wines, travelling to Italy is much easier than travel to, say, California. In CA you have to know what wines you are interested in, where they are, and who makes them; planning your trip around all that. In Italy you simply look at the food on your plate an say either "rosso" or "bianco." Like politics in the U.S., in Italy all wine is local. The down side is that other than the few bottles you may bring back with you, you may never see that wine you loved again. Only a fraction of the wines made in Italy are imported into the U.S.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 03-07-2001).]

- RAD - 03-07-2001

Hi Soon--

I'm envious! My wife and I honeymooned in Italy in May 1999, visiting many of the areas that you're going. I'll make both some winery and restaurant recommendations (if you don't mind [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img] ).

Near Sienna, I'd try to visit Cesani Vincenzo, which is actually in San Gimignano, not far by. Their Luenzo is a great Sangiovese that I like. Doubtless there are many others, but I do like that wine.

In the Chianti area just to the north, you'll find several wineries, including Castello di Ama, Castello di Volpaia, and Badia a Coltibuono (neat old castle with a good little restaurant where you can sit outside).

In Florence, there is a great wine bar called Volpe e l'Uva (Piazza de' Rossi; tel 055.23.98.132) just across the Ponte Vecchio, south of the Arno. There is an older guy who works there--Gianni, if I remember correctly--with a great shock of grey hair like Einstein, only a bit more coiffed. He is a pleasure to talk to, speaks decent English, and will be more than happy to tell you all about Italian wines--he'll probably have a glass with you!

A great trattoria in Florence is Trattoria La Casalinga (via dei Michelozzi 9/r; tel 055.21.86.24), where you'll get cheap, no frills--and good!--homestyle Italian cooking. A great place to stop for lunch, or an inexpensive dinner.

For dinner, I highly recommend Omero (via Pian dei Giullari 11/r; tel 055.22.00.53), which is located in the Oltrarno section of Florence, south of the Arno river, right across from the place where Galileo was exiled. It sits high on a hill overlooking Florence and the surrounding countryside. Traditional Florentine food; there's a small salumeria-type grocery at the entrance.

In Florence, you MUST MUST MUST go to Carabè (Via Ricasoli 60/r; tel 055.289.476), about 500m north of the Duomo, for the best gelato in all of Italy. More flavors of gelato and granita than you can shake a stick at. I tried about 12 different kinds--no kidding--and the owner treats the offerings as a kind of religion, steadfastly refusing some of my requests for different combinations. They're all otherworldly.

In Milano, you must go to Buccon di Vino, a play on words meaning both "Divine Bite" and "A bite of wine." (sorry, cannot find address or phone, even on the Internet). Again, traditional fare. You're served about 6 or 7 different courses--cheeses, salamis, prosciuttos, pastas--each wiht its own wine. I believe they only have 1 sitting per night. Wonderful.

Finally, I'd recommend "Eating In Italy" by Faith Heller Willinger (ISBN 0-688-14614-7). It focuses on Northern Italy (Tuscany and north), and breaks each region down by its regional foods and wine.

Have fun!

RAD

- ddf68 - 03-07-2001

Siena has a place called Enoteca Italiana. It tunnels through the old town walls and opens into terraces in several places. They have a large collection of Italian wines from all over Italy (it is an exception to the general rule that you only find local wines) and serve many by the glass with little hors d'ouevres dishes. It's worth a visit for the architecture and decor and to take a cool break on a hot afternoon, and if you're interested in Italian wines it's a must if you're in Siena.

ddf

- giacomo.kangaroo - 03-10-2001

Buon giorno amico. Provo Ristorante Latini in Firenze (Florence). Ciao.