WineBoard
Observations - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Observations (/thread-18041.html)

- robr - 08-12-2005

I just got serious about trying new and better wines about two months ago. Since then I have tried 30 or 40, mostly reds, some whites, and here is what I have discovered.

1. Many reds made from a particular type of grape, or from a particular region/country taste so similar that I can barely tell them apart. The average good Spanish red and the average good Italian red really tastes like the same wine.

2. Merlot and Cabernet Sauv. are so similar that they taste nearly the same to me. CS is usually more tannic, and has a little bolder presentation, but not always. I can't tell much difference between these and an average Bordeaux.

3. Pinot Noir varies greatly. Some are subtle, others as strong as a shiraz, but most are quite a bit more subdued than other cold weather reds.

4. It's damn near impossible to find good German wine in Central Florida.

5. Good Chardonnay is heaven in a bottle.

6. Red Zinfandel is the most distinctive red wine. Probably because of the higher alcohol content.

I hope that this has been entertaining and perhaps a little provocative.

Rob

- hotwine - 08-12-2005

Your opinions. Each can be disputed and argued to death, which hardly seems productive. We all have our individual tastes and perceptions, and there's nothing at all wrong with that.

- robr - 08-12-2005

Yes. my opinions. That's all they are, for better or worse. I don't profess to be anything other than a lover of good wine...

- Drew - 08-13-2005

Welcome to the board, Rob. A lot of wines produced today for the US market from Europe and Australia do have very similar flavor profiles of big fruit, big alcohol and big oak. Tis a shame but this "international style" is very much in demand in this country so you have to pick your wine producer carefully. Red Zin is very distinctive but I think because of the grape and OUR, America, love of it which shows in the many styles available. My observations regarding GOOD Spanish and most Italian reds are that they are two different animals with different flavor profiles which I think you'll discover during your wine journey. Your observations regarding Pinot Noir I agree with and suggest that is why they are VERY friendly food wines.

Drew

- jv38 - 08-16-2005

IMHO. Love red italians and red spanish. Both have examples of International Style, that, well, taste the same, and both have examples of traditional style that is each one owns style. Spanish wines have a very distinctive nose of leather and firm tannins. Good examples of Spanish owns style Marquez de Riscal Reserva and Conde de Oña Reserva. Spanish Inter I can think of Marquez de Caceres Crianza and Marquez de Arienzo Reserva. The traditional Italian have a nose of earth, old wood (not oak, or vanilla), and tabacco that always remind me of big old houses. Can't think of a good example now since I haven't drink any good one lately. I don't like the International style wines unless is California. Zinfandel is the wine that you can trust when you don't find anything else... Same can be said about Australian Shiraz...

- wineguruchgo - 08-18-2005

Hey Rob,

I'm going to respond to #4. My friend John is opening an upscale wineshop in Orlando in the next few months.

I'll reach out to him and ask him where is going to be located and when he is scheduled to open.

I'll also mention to him about the German Rieslings.

- robr - 08-18-2005

We've had two upscale wine shops open in the last year or so on my side of town (west - southwest). Do you know where it will be located?

As far as I know there isn't one downtown, or on the east side. Very few people actually live downtown, but those who do are usually wealthy. The east side is rather "economically challenged".

Most of the upscale large neighborhoods (those more likely to buy wine) are on the north side of Orlando, the seperate (but connected) cities of Winter Park and Maitland, with just a couple over where I live, those being Bay Hill, Islesworth, and Windermere.

- Thomas - 08-18-2005

Rob,

Your observations lead me to believe that you may be getting your hands--and mouth--around too many of what others have called International style wines.

The one thing I know for sure is that wines from the numerous regions in Spain and in Italy are mostly quite distinct. You might be readyto find a good wine class where you can get access to taste those distinctions.

One more thing: you are aware that a wine labeled by any grape name can be blended with as much as 25% of any other grape variety. That blending can make a big difference in what so-called varietals taste like.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 08-18-2005).]

- AlpineOeno - 08-18-2005

foodie,

I agree with your reply about the distinct characteristics of regional wines throughout europe and that blending could muddle some of these qualities, but the 25% blending acceptability is not always the rule. Country to country, and even between different viticultural regions within a country, the laws differ. Many are 25%, but some are 15% and some viticultural areas still maintain a 100% varietal requirement for labeling as such.

- Kcwhippet - 08-18-2005

I believe that's what the phrase "as much as" implies - or is that infers.

- AlpineOeno - 08-18-2005

fair point. i guess what i meant to say is that there are a few rogue regions that don't have any restrictions, so you may even see them exceeding the 25% mark.

- Thomas - 08-19-2005

The phrase "as much as" is intended to cover that variance, but I have to admit I was thinking mainly of the New World when I referred to the blending rule.

Whenever someone talks about grape varieties I assume the conversation is not about European wine--even though I know that the Europeans are sending us so-called varietal labels these days.

I also assume that when someone finds European wines taste similar--especially from separate regions and/or countries--that someone is likely tasting the International style, even if the wine is named regionally.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 08-19-2005).]

- robr - 08-19-2005

"I believe that's what the phrase "as much as" implies - or is that infers."

"Implies" is the correct word (I'm an English teacher). Thanks for the info. I was unaware of the "international" types. Obviously I need to try a lot more wines from each country.

- winoweenie - 08-19-2005

I think what Foodie was trying to infer that he was implying was that his inference to the implication of internnational vs. Calif Cabs wasn't to infer that one was not inherently better than the other, or at least that is the implication I inferred. WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- robr - 08-19-2005

The implications here are indeed staggering. At least, that's my inference.

- Thomas - 08-20-2005

I'm inclined to re-imply what you have all inferred, just to prove my im-pliability.

- Innkeeper - 08-20-2005

I've must have been away too long; thought it was only two days.

- winoweenie - 08-21-2005

Youse were gone? ww [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]