WineBoard
New to Wine - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: New to Wine (/thread-17990.html)

- TatianaCeoxime - 03-08-2003

I have recently began enjoying wine, but I really don't know which ones to try. I really enjoy Moscato di Asti, and Lambrusco. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Anything sweet is a plus.

- Innkeeper - 03-09-2003

Hi TC, and welcome to the Wine Board. Looks like you are starting out just fine. You might also try a riesling. Riesling is a very versitile grape that can educate you all by herself. The wines will be off dry unless it says "Dry" or "Troken" on the label or comes from Alsace. After you have tried some of these get some that do say "Dry" or "Troken" on the label or come from Alsace. This is a painless way to develop your palate from liking sweet wine to enjoying dry wine.

- TatianaCeoxime - 03-09-2003

i have recently tried Zafarana Vineyards 1999 Riesling. I found it to be very crisp, It was a nice change from the very sweet wines that i have grown to love. I'm only 22 and my husband and I don't really have a lot of money, so it's hard to just start buying wines that are unknown to us, anymore suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.
we don't like spending alot of money on unknowns, but we have no problem spending $20.00 on a great bottle.

- Innkeeper - 03-09-2003

Here as some more options. For whites look for chenin blanc, paticularly in the Loire Valley Vouvray. Most American chenins are off dry as well, again unless says "Dry" on the bottle. These are very inexpensive with the Vouvray going not far over $10.

Off dry reds other than Lambrusco are a little harder to come buy. I like Mt Pleasant, not far from you in MO (http://www.mountpleasant.com/). They, like most other wineries east of the Rocky Mts make wines across the sweetness spectrum. They have an off dry Highland Red ($5.99) and a dry Augusta Village ($9.99) both made from the same grapes. Get one of each and try the dry one first and see how that goes.

- tandkvd - 03-09-2003

Hi TC, I am new to wines as well, and have gained a lot of wine knowledge from this web site (though far be it from an expert). I have spent the last three months reading about and tasting as many different wines as possable ... hic... My wife thinks I am nuts. (you would think that after 18 years she would have figured that out by now).
But anyhow this is my 2 cents worth.
I am not crazy about white wines, but Washing Hills Reisling is the only wine my wife likes. It is more sweet and fruty than the German Rieslings, and only $7.99.
And if you want to try a good red wine, I would sugest starting with a Spanish Tempranillo-based wine. They are very smooth drinkers, with low to moderate acidity and tannins. Not a lot of fruit flavers but goes well with many different foods. My favorate so far is Borsao Campo De Borja 2001
75/25 Garnacha/Tempranillo, was either $6.99 or $7.99. You can find a post on this wine at, http://www.wines.com/ubb2/Forum19/HTML/000047.html

PS. For that $20.00 wine try Sterling Vinards 1999 Merlot.

[This message has been edited by tandkvd (edited 03-09-2003).]

[This message has been edited by tandkvd (edited 03-09-2003).]

- Innkeeper - 03-09-2003

Agree with Tand all the way up to the Sterling Merlot. Not that I'm down Sterling; as I love there cabs very much. However, I think the $20 (actually $18) would be much better spent on a Terra Rouge Noir. This is an American wine made it the Rhone style that is absolutely dynamite, and very easy to drink

- tandkvd - 03-09-2003

TC, better go with IK on the $20.00 juice. I have very little experience with wine over $15.00. But the Sterling is the best that I have tried in that price range.

- randery - 03-10-2003

You may want to try a Rabbit Ridge Merlot, about $10 and a Pepperwood Grove Pinot Noir, about $7. Also loke Penfolds Rawson's Retreat Merlot at about $7, and a Greg Norman Cab at $12.
Enjoy

- tenbusch - 03-11-2003

TC, I am having a wine tasting party at a Banquet Hall in West Bloomfield on Saturday March 15, 2003 at 7:00 - 10:00p.m. It is local for you and it will help you with your wine selections. Please let me know if you need any additional info. Would love to meet you.

- Meijokahn - 03-11-2003

Hey, like I said before, Wal*Mart has wine! lol I saw some Merlot for $6.95, I think, but would you really want to buy such a cheap wine? Do you think Wal*Mart wouldn't be the place to get wine? Or do you think that maybe if you like wine enough, you won't care if it comes from a Wal*Mart! ^_^

- stevebody - 03-12-2003

Tatiana,

Because we're Americans, we have a tendancy to lean toward the readily available American stuff when we recommend wines but, as one guy said, the Spanish stuff is really amazing for low $$$ and so are the Italians. When people come into my shop and say they want a really great wine for under $20, I'll almost always sell them a Ripasso - like the Zenato or the Boscaini or Masi's Campofiorin - or the Allegrini Pallazo della Torre Valpolicella. There are some wonderful Barberas, too, that come in fairly cheap and the best value going is the Di Majo Norante Sangiovese for around $6 that is made by a guy who is either one of Italy's best or most notorious vintners (depending on who you ask), Ricardo Cottarela. Roberp Parker calls it one of the world's great red wine values and it's wonderful stuff, especially for a beginner. Italy offers up literally tons of fabulous little blended wines, too, like the Monte Antico Toscana, Masciarelli Montepulciano d'Abruzzo, Promessa Rosso Salento, and the amazing Taurino Notarpanaro.

Definitely strike up an aquanitance with someone in your local wine shop and cultivate that. They'll learn what you like and be able to steer you to stuff that expands your range of options. That tasting one guy offered in this forum is great. GO, by all means. Free chances to taste wine are always a good thing.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!