WineBoard
Wine and vineyards - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Wine and vineyards (/thread-17974.html)

- Newbie23 - 06-29-2005

Hello! As you can tell by my username, I'm pretty new at this and had a few questions. I've been reading articles and using this web site for a few weeks now trying to gather information for trying new wines. I always loved sweet drinks like pina coladas and Asti Spumante really but wanted to get into wines. My first and favorite has been the white zinfandel, I hated merlot and didn’t really care for Pinot Noir. I tried the Beaujolais villages and although I liked it better then the other two it was still too bitter then what I’m ready for. I decided to switch colors and got a Pinot Gridio, it had a much different taste then the reds but I still didn’t love it. Based on what I’ve tried, liked and disliked I’m hoping someone can steer me in the right direction! My husbands getting mad that I keep buying bottles of wine that I don’t really like! Also, I thought a good way to find out what I like would be to go to a wine tasting. I live in Southern Maine so I don’t really know if there is an abundance of choices. If someone has a suggestion of a winery or maybe a restaurant that does wine tasting I’d really love to learn more! Thank you so much!!!

- Innkeeper - 06-29-2005

Hi Newbie, and welcome to the Wine Board. We just moved from Searsport, ME; but don't know offhand of stores in your area. If you can get to Portland, there are stores there with regular tastings. Miranda's in the Portland Market is excellent, and the folks there are helpful whether they are having a tasting or not.

In the meantime there are some whites that are sweeter than Pinot Grigio. Riesling is usually made on the sweeter or sweet side if it does not say dry or troken on the label or come from Alsace or Australia. The same goes for Chenin Blanc. Look for Vouvray from the Loire Valley of France made from Chenin Blanc.

Reds are harder to find on the sweet side. Look for Lambrusco from Italy. Local wines come in varying degrees of sweetness. Ask Holly Miranda to recommend Maine wines that are off-dry or sweet.

- Newbie23 - 07-01-2005

Thank you for the tips! I went to the market in Portland and unfortunately Mirandas closed about a month ago. I tried another place but they wern't too helpful. I was wondering, I tired Manischewitz concord and really liked the sweetness and taste but it was just so thick I felt more like I was drinking juice then wine. Can you reccomend something with a similar taste but better texture? Thanks again [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

- Innkeeper - 07-01-2005

The Lambrusco. Sorry to hear about Miranda's.

- winewaitress - 07-02-2005

Hi Newbie!

I'm pretty new to this as well, but we sell a lot of wine at my restaurant, so it's been a little trial-by-fire as far as my wine knowledge goes.

I am a sweet fan as well, so my reccommendation to you would be to try some dessert wines because they tend to be geared toward going well with sweet foods (such as desserts). Ports are nice and rich (plus they go well with chocolate, always a bonus for me) but you're not left with the feeling that you need a glass of water to wash down your wine. My absolute favorite so far is a good Muscat Canelli, though, because they're usually sweet and yet not syrupy, just nice and light and refreshing.

Another reccommendation would be to go to a restaurant with a hefty wine list, hit the bar, tell them what you're looking for, and just ask to start sampling whatever they sell by the glass. Waiters are waiters because they love to hear themselves talk, so if they have the time, no one ever minds imparting a little knowledge.

Best of luck to you!

- Newbie23 - 07-05-2005

Thank you for the recommendations, I added the Muscat to my wine list! I tried Riesling (Relax Riesling) based on another posting I read and it was really good, sweet but not thick, my husband even liked it and he’s a self proclaimed “beer-only” guy!

- Newbie23 - 07-22-2005

Thank you Innkeeper for your lambrusco recommendation! I tried it last night and really enjoyed it! Any other suggestions?!?

- wineguruchgo - 07-22-2005

Newbie,

I'm just curious if you are drinking the wines with food or if you are drinking them alone.

Drinking wine with food is much easier than drinking them alone.

The Greeks make a red dessert wine called Mavrodaphne. If you are going to try it (shouldn't break the bank) I will recommend food or at least some cheese. You will see that a wine will change flavors when consummed with food.

Other than Sangria we are probably at the end of our list for sweet red wines.

- Newbie23 - 07-22-2005

Thank you for your recommendations on reds. I do also like white, especially riesling, so suggestions on white are also welcome! I am trying them with food, I do agree that they're easier to drink that way and I'm trying my best to pair them up properly! Also, I don't have very many good wine stores around here, does anyone have any good suggestions for buying wine on-line? Thanks [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

- immolation75 - 07-24-2005

One thing my wife and I have started doing is going to wineries whenever we go on a trip. It's very interesting to try the "local" wines of different regions. We just got back from Missouri and they make some excellent white wines. The Rieslings and Muscats were excellent. It's neat to buy a couple of bottles from the region that you know there is no way you can get it at your local wine store.

Most of these wineries will sell on line also.

- Newbie23 - 08-11-2005

I recently received a recommendation for Brachetto D'Acqui from a little shop on Beacon Hill. My husband and I tried it 2 nights ago and absolutely loved it! We can't wait to find another bottle. Definitely a dessert wine! If anyone has any recommendations for a similar wine I'd love to hear them! I was also hoping there might be some good information floating around about Canadian wines. My husband and I are going to Quebec City for our anniversary and definitely want to check out some local wine and vineyards. If anyone has any advice it would really help!