WineBoard
Medium Fruity Red anyone? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Medium Fruity Red anyone? (/thread-17962.html)

- Andy - 04-16-2002

Hi,

I'm relatively new to wine, although i have dabbled with german whites i now find myself wanting to drink red wine as a more healthy choice over spirits, beers etc.

I have discovered (pretty much haphazardly) that i do not like strong reds with tanins. I feel they are too overpowering, and the acid, vinegary aftertaste frankly, makes me shudder!
I was getting cheesed off with trying different reds and paying through the nose for my 'research', so i tried an ASDA cheapie called Hidden Vineyards. This was the 2nd cheapest red they sold @ £1.95 per bottle.

It is described as 'A deliciously juicy medium red British wine with aromas of cherry and blackcurrant'.
It has 8.5% alc/vol content.

Now, i actually enjoy this wine...it is very light, and no acidic or tanin type sharp aftertastes, just a fruity cherry-ish flavour that lingers for a few seconds...very nice.

Apologies, i appear to be writing a novel...
But my question is this: Is anyone familiar with this wine? And can you recommend any similar wines that i can purchace on my upcoming trip to the wine warehouses of france (eurotunnel trip tomorrow)?

I can't give any more info on this wine..as i can't find any, even after trawling the internet. I don't even know the grape involved.

Thanks go to anyone that helps.

Regards,

Andy.

- Innkeeper - 04-16-2002

Hi Andy, and welcome to the Wine Board. There are many French and Italian Wines to fill our bill. In France look for Cru Beaujolais with names like Fleurie, Julienas, Morgon, and Moulin A Vent. Also, some of light Pinot Noir from Burgundy offered by the better negotiants. You should also check the improving picture for the Southern Rhone. In addition to Cotes Du Rhone which gets better every year, there is now Cotes Du Lubrion. In Italy there is Salice Salentino, Rosso Piceno and Rosso Conero, among increasingly popular from the East Central and Southern Regions.

- Andy - 04-16-2002

Thanks for the info Innkeeper.

That will give me a few to look out for tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Andy.

- Drew - 04-16-2002

Andy, perhaps the below vineyard is the one you seach for.

Hidden Spring Vineyard
Vines Cross Road, Nr Heathfield, East Sussex.
Size 6.2 acres.Open to the public.

http://sol.brunel.ac.uk/~richards/vineyards/hidden.htm

Drew

[This message has been edited by Drew (edited 04-16-2002).]

- Bucko - 04-16-2002

Now taking cheap shots, but medical studies have shown that most of the health benefits of adult beverages comes from the alcohol itself, so any alcohol containing beverage adds to the health benefits.

- Andy - 04-17-2002

Thanks for the info chaps.

Much appreciated.

When i talked about health, i was talking about some medical professionals opinion that red wine, has marginally better health benefits, than say...beer, due to compounds contained in the grape, that are enhanced during fermentation.
(Ok, ok...My belly is getting to big, and i need to stop drinking beer!)

;-)

Thanks again,

Andy.

- Botafogo - 04-18-2002

Look for some Lacrima di Morro d'Alba from the Marche in Italy, it is exactly what you are seeking. Producers include Umani Ronchi, Landi and Rucchetti.

Roberto

PS: medical studies deny the "beer belly" myth, it's all the "beer food" that is the problem.

- Andy - 04-18-2002

Thanks Roberto,

I'll keep my eyes open...

I took the trip to France mentioned earlier, and bought a case and a half of wine to 'try'.

I bought:

12 bottles of Italian valpolicella from Cantina Sociale di Soave S.C.R.L. (whoever they are) (vintage not displayed)

6 bottles of German Pinot Noir branded 'Fire Mountain' from Zimmermann-Graeff. 2000 vintage.

To clarify my tastes even more, both my wife and myself found both of these wines very acidic, and tannin-y.
Almost as if there was a chemical kind of scent and taste, sort of nail polish (remover?) almost, if you know what i mean.

Having said that, there was very little 'bite' to these, and were quite light, but still having the undesired chemical aftertaste.
Oh well, i was half way there with the lightness!

Thanks to Drew, for the web address..
although this doesn't seem to be the producer of 'Hidden Vineyards', like you, i would have thought it was too.
I have found the supplier to ASDA, and mailed them, although they haven't replied yet, so either they are very busy, or they think i'm a crank! I'll let you know.

Thanks for all suggestions and help chaps.

Andy.

- Innkeeper - 04-18-2002

Of all the wines recommended to you, pinot is the most acidic. The further north it is grown, e.g. Germany, the more acidic it gets. The reason for this is the ripening time. The longer it takes the grapes to ripen, the more the acid develops. In the wines of east central and southern Italy the grapes ripen so quickly that they have to ADD acid to the wines. Don't give completely up on pinot. The reason why we suggested negotiant produced pinot is that most of the grapes going into bulk productions are grown on open, sunny, lowlands. This helps keep the acid down.