WineBoard
Onto reds now - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Onto reds now (/thread-17935.html)

- LuvMyWine - 12-06-2002

I can't tell you how excited I am that I found this board...lol. Im new here, just found it this evening. Let me tell you about myself...I started drinking wine about 20 years ago. I began with Rose', then went to Chablis, then to Chardonney,(stuck on that for about 10 years), tried Merlot (briefly), now I'm drinking Cabernet. I always drink champagne, that never changes...lol. Anyway, I love the taste of a hearty wine, with a mellow taste (if that makes any sense) . I still enjoy my chardonney, especially for lunch, but Cabernet is nice at nightime, especially after I get out of work, and like to unwind. Are there other red wines that are enjoyeable just to drink to mellow out in the evening. Alot of the reds tast rubbery and dusty to me. And I know that you are all going to scream, but I like my red wine slightly chilled...EEK. Sorry.

- Innkeeper - 12-06-2002

Hi Luv, and a warm welcome to the Wine Board. There are many reds you can try, but thanks to some other folks on the Board, one is justifiably becoming popular here. It is called Vino de Ripasso; a.k.a. Valpolicella Classico Superiore. This is not to be confused with the journeyman Valpolicellas you find on the supermarket shelf. It is a much bigger wine, that many cabernet fans simply love. The easiest one to find is the one by Masi that sells for $10 or less. Others run up to $20, and there should be a good selection in the Joyzy market.

- Glass_A_Day - 12-06-2002

As far as chilled, whatever tastes good to you is the way you should drink it. However, the "rubbery and dusty" aspect you describe may come from the chilling in some instances. There are MANY other round reds that are big enough, but still sophisticated. I tend to like blends/meritages rather than straight cabernet. Bordeaux and Super Tuscans being my favorites. The problem is finding a good wine at a reasonable price. People say you don't drink labels or price tags.....but....you are usually going to find when you pay more you get sooo much more. Not that there arn't any good values out there. Watch the board for tasting notes from regular posters. I've been steered in the right direction more than once!! Best of all experiment. My worst problem when i first got into wine was finding certain wines I liked and sticking with them exclusivly. Remember the old saying, noting ventured nothing gained. Good luck and welcome aboard.

- joeyz6 - 12-07-2002

"Slightly chilled" might be exactly right, in any case. Chances are, when you buy a bottle or if you've been keeping it in your house for a while, it's a little too warm to drink. Reds are supposed to be drunk around 65 degrees, I believe is the figure. And a few degrees cooler doesn't make too much difference. So if the bottle has been sitting at 70 degrees in your basement or in the store, it will need a little while in the fridge to cool off anyway!

- wondersofwine - 12-10-2002

Have you tried any Australian shiraz or shiraz/cabernet blends? In the less expensive category you might try Rosemount or Jacob's Creek shiraz. If you are used to paying more for California cabernets you might have a wine retailer steer you towards a good Australian shiraz or blend for $20-$35.

- LuvMyWine - 12-12-2002

Thanks so much for the selections. I can't wait to venture out and try some of the wines requested!

- mmmchardonnay - 12-12-2002

Hello! I'm new to this site and pretty much new to wine. I'm looking for a good Merlot to give as a gift. Any suggestions? Thanks

- Innkeeper - 12-12-2002

Bogle or Blackstone should keep you hoppy with merlots.