WineBoard
21 And Looking For A Starting Place - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: 21 And Looking For A Starting Place (/thread-17922.html)

- wpskibum - 07-15-2004

I have just recently turned 21 and would like to get a bit into wine. Right now all I know is out of the wines I have had I like white better then red. I had a dessert wine that was very good. I am not a rich kid so I would like to start my collection and testing with wines in the $10-$20, if that is possible for ok wine, and for sure if I can stay below $25 a bottle I would be very happy. I would like to find a red or two that I like just so that I can drink some red and some white depending. If anyone has ideas for a youngster to start let me know. Also if you don’t have a specific recommendation but would like to share some ideas about wine I would love to be educated. Like glass types, storage, how long to open a bottle before drinking all of these would be great to hear. Like I said I am very very new so please feel free to share even the simple things.
Thanks in advance for helping the new kid on the block.

------------------
Newbie. Needs All The Help He Can Get

- Innkeeper - 07-15-2004

Hi Newbie, and welcome to the Wine Board. Do you remember which whites and dessert wines you liked. That would be a much easier starting place for us than just shooting in the dark. Even if you could tell us if the whites were dry or slightly off dry, or downright sweet would help.

- wpskibum - 07-15-2004

I know I had what Zinfandel (spelling?) and like it. The dessert wine was pretty sweet I believe. Other then that I don’t remember any names of ones I liked. If I had to guess I would say I like a sweet wine as opposed to a dry wine. If you know of a semi-dry wine that isn’t to expensive I would be willing to try it. As far as reds go I have only had two. One from a box and it wasn’t that bad and the other one from a bottle and I didn’t like it but I know nothing about it. Thanks again.

------------------
Newbie. Needs All The Help He Can Get

- Innkeeper - 07-15-2004

You might want to try the Beringer White Zinfandel, as that is one of the better ones. I also like the one from Buehler. The White Zins are acutally blush rather than white wines because they are made from a red grape Zinfandel. You might want to try some Rieslings for an actual white wine. American ones that don't say "dry" on the label and German ones that don't say "troken" on the label, are usually off dry. Those from Alsace and Australia tend to be bone dry.

- wondersofwine - 07-16-2004

I think Louis Jadot Beaujolais Villages is a nice fruity red wine to start trying red wines. It's technically a dry wine because it has minimal residual sugar, but in a decent vintage the fruity taste makes it seem almost sweet. It is low in tannins which can make a red wine seem harsh or bitter to the newcomer to wines (and sometimes to experienced wine drinkers). Beaujolais wines are from the Gamay grape.
The Louis Jadot Beaujolais Villages can sometimes be found in a half-bottle size (375ml)($5 to $7) which is good for one or two people to open and finish without deterioration from being open several days. A full bottle (750ml) may be found for $9-$12. 2002 was a good vintage. If you try the Beaujolais Villages and like it, you may also want to try a Beaujolais Cru wine (from recognized top districts) such as Fleurie or Julienas or Brouilly. They will have Fleurie, Brouilly, etc. on the label but not Beaujolais. These are usually less than $20 a bottle (unless particularly famous producer or vineyard).

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 07-16-2004).]