WineBoard
never had wine; please help - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: never had wine; please help (/thread-17864.html)

- new2this - 01-24-2004

Hi,
My husband and I have never had wine except once about 6 years ago. I remember that it was HORRIBLE, neither one of us could finish it. It was very,very bitter. Anyway, I thought something sweeter just might do the trick. Could you give me some tips on what to buy and where to buy it. I'd like to keep the price to $50.00 and below. Only $50.00 if it's really good and something you would suggest for a novice. Of course, if it's cheaper than $50.00 and just as good I'd like the cheaper. I'm planning a romantic night for my husband and would like something for after dinner of, most likely, steak.
One other quick question, Do all wines have the same amount alcohol?

Ok, I've just went and read a few other messages on this board and feel a little stupid but still must ask b/c I don't know the 1st thing about this stuff.
I asked where I should buy wine and failed to say where I was from....I am from the Greensboro area of North Carolina. I said I wanted a sweet, fruity wine but I do not want a sickly sweet wine. Also, what kind of glasses will I need? What temperature should I serve it? If I want wine with my dinner, mine will be some sort of chicken dish, what do you suggest? I definitely DO NOT want anything that is tart or bitter.

Thanks in advance
I hope this thread isn't too silly ! :-)

[This message has been edited by new2this (edited 01-24-2004).]

- hotwine - 01-24-2004

Hi, New, and welcome to the board.

We could recommend any number of wines to accompany steak or chicken, but it would be difficult for us to predict how you would respond to a particular wine. If you could attend a tasting at a retailer in your area, you could get some ideas. But if you simply take a recommendation from us, buy a wine, try it without food, decide you like it, and try to re-cork it to serve the next night, you would be disappointed - it wouldn't taste anything like the way it tasted when you first opened it. Yet spending up to $50 on a wine, only to take one sip, declare it ugly and throw it away, wouldn't make much sense, either.

Try this: if you want to serve chicken and have wine with it, get a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc. The one from Kendall-Jackson is widely available and costs only about $8. Serve it chilled, with the meal.

If you want to serve wine with a steak dinner, look for the Merlot from Blackstone, the California label. Serve it at room temperature with the meal. That one will run you $6-$8.

If either of those choices works for you, you're on your way. If not, it won't have cost you much.

Good luck.

I failed to mention the amount of alcohol involved. As I recall, both of those I mentioned are about 12% by volume, so a six-ounce pour would amount to 0.72 ounces of alcohol; two glasses would total a tad less than 1.5 ounces, which is a "jigger" for a mixed drink.

Glasses: get some cheap wine glasses at your local supermarket. Those will do fine for now, until you see if you're going to like this stuff.

[This message has been edited by hotwine (edited 01-24-2004).]

- new2this - 01-24-2004

What about champagne? Are any of these good? Not bitter. I have never tried any kinds of chanpagne but have always wanted to

Thanks

- hotwine - 01-24-2004

Sure, Champagnes are wonderful. But make sure they are authentic Champagnes (from France), not some knock-off bubbly from California that's labeled Champagne, like Korbel. That stuff is terrible. A reasonably priced Champagne is Taittinger Brut, available for anywhere from $22-$32. Serve it well-chilled before the meal (and continuing through the meal, if you wish).

- wineguruchgo - 01-25-2004

Hello New2this,

Please remember that the first sip doesn't count when entering the wonderful world of wine. Your taste buds are going to go into a bit of a shock.

Definately drink wine with food! I have been drinking wine for decades and I still don't enjoy it unless I have food.

I also agree with Hotwine that you do not have to spend that much money on a decent bottle of wine. I certainly wouldn't.

If you are looking for a sweet wine, yet one that isn't syrupy, try a Riesling or Gewurtztraminer (ga-verts-tra-meener)from Germany. Yes, they are sweet, yet they are much easier to handle when first entering the arena.

Please let us know what you choose and what you think of it. It will help us to direct you.

WGC

- Innkeeper - 01-25-2004

While in Borders the other day, I saw a book titled, "Sweet Wines: A Guide to the World's Best with Recipes", by James Peterson. Don't know if it is worth the $35 they are charging, but would be nice to peruse while sipping some of their java.

- Tastevin - 01-25-2004

Hello New2this.
I agree with all the comments so far except for the suggested Taittinger Brut Champagne (sorry Hotwine). I tnink Brut will be too dry for your inexperienced wine palate. Personally I would go for Laurent Perrier DEMI SEC, this is an excellent Champagne with a touch of sweetness about it. I'm pretty sure it's available over there. If it is not, ask for a good FRENCH Champagne that is DEMI SEC (it will say so on the label).
As for Gewurtztraminer, if you decide on that, do get one from Alsace.
Have a great evening, but bear in mind that too much wine can take the edge off the romance. [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img] T.

[This message has been edited by Tastevin (edited 01-25-2004).]

- Drew - 01-25-2004

I would suggest an Italian Prosecco, an Italian bubbly, it has nice sweetness and fizz and nice ones can be had for less than $12...pairs well with strawberries and chocolate also.

Drew

[This message has been edited by Drew (edited 01-25-2004).]

- tandkvd - 01-25-2004

Welcome New2this, there is a Total Wine in your area. They have free tastings every friday and saturday.

Here is the web site: http://www.wineaccess.com/splash/totalwine/

I go there often, they have good prices, and helpfull staff.

As for Sparkling Wine, I agree with Drew on the Prosecco, but my wifes favorite, if you want something a little sweeter, is Martini and Rossi Asti Spumanti.

- new2this - 01-25-2004

Hi,
Thanks so much for all of the replies. I guess when I edited my original message last night I should deleted the $50.00 price tag especially after reading other messages, I realized you could get a nice bottle for a lot less. Thanks very much for your replies.

Could someone tell me the difference between wine and champagne? I know that probably sounds very naive, but I just don't know.

I also want to thank you for referring me to a good retailer and for supplying the web address. I have broached this subject with my husband in a subtle sort of way and he did tell me that unless it was really sweet, not syrupy then he didn't think that he'd be able to stand it again. I'll have to remember that we have to give ourselves time to get used to it ;-)

Thanks again
Lisa

- Innkeeper - 01-25-2004

Table wine is still wine without fortification such as port and sherry have, and usually (but not always) less than 16% alcohol. Champagne belongs to the broad category of sparkling wine, or wine with bubbbles. The bubbles come from three different processes which I won't get into at this point. Sparkling wine comes in different modes of sweetness. The nomenclature is arcane. Brut is dry. Extra dry is off dry. Then you get into Demi Sec and Sec. I have found that regardless of process, the Extra Dry with a touch of sweetness is the best of the sparklers; especially if one is just quaffing the stuff.

- new2this - 01-25-2004

I have one other quick question, I read a lot mostly historical romance. Within the last year I really got into the Regency Romance. In some of the soirees, the ladies all drink madeira (sp?) I looked on the internet and was coming across prices in the upper 1000's. Is there a cheaper version, also, is any good or too strong?

I also went to the website suggested and came across a Laurent Perrier Brut is that the same thing as the Demi sec? It didn't say Demi Sec. Also, I found Domaine Lucien Gewurztraminer Alsace, in the review it said that this was the perfect wine for the beginner, meaning all Gewurztraminer. I'm still not sure about which one I will go with, and maybe you guys can offer some insight that this website did not tell me. Also, I've changed the menu selection from steak and chicken to Japanese cuisine. What is the best wine to accompany this type of cuisine?

Lisa

[This message has been edited by new2this (edited 01-25-2004).]

- Innkeeper - 01-25-2004

Madeira is a fortified (with brandy) dessert wine from the Islands of the same name. It is very sweet and very high in alcohol. It is a dessert wine, and has imitators in California for much lower prices.

Brut is dry, and demi sec is quite sweet, with extra dry in-between.

American Gewurztraminer is sweeter than that from Alsace unless it says "dry" on the label.

The best wine with Japanese food is Sake. Here is a whole thread full of information about Sake: http://wines.com/ubb2/Forum2/HTML/000831.html

- wineguruchgo - 01-25-2004

Lisa,

You can always take your $50.00 and use this money as an investment. Why not buy 5-6 different bottles of wine and taste through them. Again, it's an investment.

This way you will know what style of wine you like. Check your local retailer and see what their selection (if any) is of 1/2 bottles.

This is a fun medium to explore and once your tastebuds get used to it (and they will) you will be able to open yourself up to all different wines from all over the world.

When I went to Italy years ago I only drank sweet white wines. Two single American girls who had no money. Well in all of the little restaurants they would bring us 1/2 carafes of red wine from the cellar. Well, you drink enough of something and your palate gets used to it. I came home from Italy and now drink more red than white.

For now, don't spend a lot on the wines while experimenting. This way if you have to dump it it won't hurt as much.

- Tastevin - 01-25-2004

Hello again New2this.
On second thoughts it may be best for you to stay away from Champagne and other sparkling wines at this stage. Opening a bottle of such can be very tricky, if not downright dangerous, for the novice. There is a tremendous amount of pressure inside the bottle just waiting to fire the cork out. Try being romantic after being slammed in an eye by a Champagne cork!.
Actually, I think the best course of action would be for you to do as Tandkvd suggests - go visit a good wine shop.
Good luck. [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img] T.

- new2this - 01-26-2004

Thanks for all they nice replies. I'll be sure to let you all know what I decide on and whether or not I liked it.

Lisa

- hades_ibex - 01-26-2004

Let us know how it goes... the wine that is, not the romantic side of things!

If its not too late to make a suggestion: ask your wine merchant for the sweetest Riesling they have. A good intro to wine and a good pairing for Japanese food.

But note, if you are serving vinegar based dishes or dips, forget about wine. Or serve it before the meal.

- Kcwhippet - 01-26-2004

Wait a minute!!! We want to know the romantic stuff, too!! We live vicariously through these after action reports.

- Tastevin - 01-27-2004

Yes, more romantic stuff please. T

- ZhaZha - 01-30-2004

You guys are so crazy!!!!