WineBoard
So I want to be a sommelier - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: So I want to be a sommelier (/thread-17843.html)

- lefthand50 - 06-02-1999

So where should I start? Never read a book, never even had a glass of wine. Where/how can I begin? Any and all suggestions would be great appreciated -

Thanks!

- Thomas - 06-02-1999

In my view, you need to first discover wine and hopefully develop a passion for it. A sommelier is a wine salesperson, and this is one product you need to like in order to sell.

Why would you want to work in a field with a product you do not know?

- lefthand50 - 06-02-1999

Work isn't the correct term (as I'm not looking for it :-]. I won't disagree with the idea that passion is needed. A better question might be: I'm looking to discover more about wine; what are some resources I can use, some places I can go, to become an expert?

Thanks

- Randy Caparoso - 06-02-1999

Of course, one doesn't become an "expert" anything without a little experience. So let your first glass wine be your start, and you can start anywhere. I'd suggest a local wine bar or restaurant that serves glasses of wine in small to big servings (2, 4, 5 or 6 oz.). See if you like the taste. If so, then do this:

1. Go to the bookstore or library and pick up a couple of introductory books to wine and wine tasting. There are a number of very good ones. Keep them handy all around the house or apartment, and read and memorize them every spare moment.

2. Get to know the people down at one or two of your local wine stores (yellow pages!). Be upfront about what you'd like to experience, and your price ranges. Almost universally, they're more than willing and happy to help you get started (for obvious reasons).

3. Once you're on the roll, consider subscribing to one or two wine magazines (check out your nearest Borders, Barnes & Noble and such for a good sampling), and make sure that everytime you buy a bottle or order something in a restaurant, it's always something new.

4. At least one of your local community colleges, universities, wine merchants or restaurants invariably offer wine courses. Take them! Whenever there's a local wine festival, sign yourself up (they're usually benefits, and so you'll always being doing someone else good). Basically, the more experience you can build up, the better!

5. Finally, every expert keeps a journal (or some kind of collection of notes). This will be the key to building your wine "memory." It may be work; but I'm sorry, it's practically the only way you'll get anywhere near building some kind of expertise (unless you have a photographic memory).

Good luck!

- Thomas - 06-03-1999

Follow Randy's advice and you will know whether or not wine is for you.

To that advice I add this: get the notion of "expert" out of your head. Learn all you can about wine, and then you will discover there is more to learn. If we are experts at all, it is in our ability to keep our minds open, our palates tuned and our search endless.

"Experts" have a nasty tendency of thinking they know it all.

- Paul Wagner - 06-03-1999

And if you want training...you might check our your local community college. They often have wine appreciation courses that can get you started. As do some restaurants and wine retailers.

If you are seriously bitten by the bug, contact Kathleen Lewis at: CourtofMS@aol.com

She is the director of the US Court of Master Sommeliers--the top wine service organization. She also works in my office, so I can verify that she is very nice and helpful. The CMS offers a wide range of classes from basic wine knowledge to extremely advanced--but even the beginning ones start at a pretty steep learning curve.

Paul

- Winos - 12-20-1999

As being one I should say: Start drinking and reading. And find out where you can start learing for your certificates. (red, white, rose and champagne.)