WineBoard
How to start my husband's cellar - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: How to start my husband's cellar (/thread-17829.html)

- veronique - 11-06-2006

Hello
I would like to give to my husband for his birthday a wine cellar and some good bottles to start his cellar. A sample of red and white wines from all over the world for current consumption as well as several that he could store a few years would be great. I do need some good advice. thanks.

- wineaffairs - 11-06-2006

Hi,
What’s your budget and price range for the wines? What type of wines does your husband like? What’s his favorite type of food? It will help if I know a bit more information about his preference.

Personally I love Alsace white and they can hold their own for few years without any problems. As for the reds, Barolo, Burgundy, Rhone, Bordeaux, and New World’s Cabernet Sauvignon all can be store for a long time. The bottom line comes down to your personal palette and how much money you want to spend on the wines. ;P

Hope these help.

- veronique - 11-07-2006

Thank you for your reply.
I know I was a little bit vague with my question... My husband loves every kind of wines (very open!). Alsace of course because he was born in Strasbourg (Alsace) and his cousin is the owner of the family wineyard (Hering).
I was thinking of wines from the rest of the world (US, Chile, Argentina, South Africa, italy, Spain,...) he doesn't know that much. Just of few bottles (around 12) to start with. 30-40 USD max for each bottle.
Thanks for your help

- TheEngineer - 11-08-2006

The second question to ask would be if these wines are for near term consumption or are they expected to age. If near term consumption I would recommend a small wine fridge like a Haier/GE/etc but since these are made with compressors, the unit does vibrate and this will damage the wines if you keep them long term (like a decade or more). I say this as you mention that the top price for the wine should be somewhere between $30-$40. Some of those can age for sure but the units that allow you to age wine are closer to $1000 (Eurocave) and maybe you don't want to do that until you are sure that your husband wants to do this hobby. As for the wine. Suggest that you buy two of each so that he can taste now and taste another wine in a few years.

Since he is from Alsace (start) and all wines are under $40 and some around $20)

(1) Trimbach Grand Cru Riesling x2 (Alsace)
(2) 2002 Pontet Canet Bordeaux x2 (Bordeaux)
(3) Truchard Cabernet Sauvignon x2 (Napa Valley)
(4) 2001 La Fortuna Brunello di Montalcino (Italy)
(5) 2001 Muga Reserva Rioja x2 (Spain)
(6) 2004 d'Arenberg Laughing Magpie Shiraz-Viognier (Austrailian)

These wines are fairly easy to find or at least similar wines will be. If not you can always find them on www.wine-searcher.com

Good luck and have fun!

- TheEngineer - 11-08-2006

A good substitute for any of these from red to white (as there is only one white above) would be a good German riesling (like Dr Loosen or Kerpen) or a good New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc (Like Kim Crawford or Cloudy Bay).

- wineaffairs - 11-08-2006

Hi Veronique,
A fun way to taste and enjoy some wines while you are exploring and get your collection going is to go to the local wine bar or wine shop tasting event. The holiday season is coming and they should have a lot of this type of event going on.

I also saw a lot of good recommendations at WineBoard and they break it up in regions and bargain hunting. You might want to take a look.

- veronique - 11-08-2006

Hi
Thank you very much for all your suggestions! They will help me very much