WineBoard
inexpensive Sangiovese? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: inexpensive Sangiovese? (/thread-17822.html)

- wdonovan - 02-09-2006

Wife and I drink Bordeaux and Champagne once or twice a week. Every other day it's mostly Rhones with a few Riojas, Tuscans and others to break the routine. I have been buying Antinori Santa Cristina (03) for an everyday Sangiovese for two reasons. It's great for the money (~$8 by the case) and we welcome the light style as a departure from almost everything else we drink.

Any other favorite, under $10 Sangioveses or San blends that could get me out of the Antinori rut for a case or two?

- Innkeeper - 02-09-2006

Cecchi Chianti Classico is a reliable wine year in and out. It sells at or above or below $10 in most joints around here. They also put out a little brother called Tuscan Rosso or Rosso Tuscano or something like that the sells for three or four bucks less, that isn't bad either.

- hotwine - 02-09-2006

That price point is a tough target these days. Suggest a search of all forums with the search word Sangiovese; you'll turn up a few, but many more in the $10-$20 range.

- Thomas - 02-09-2006

You could find some Morellino di Scansano wines at decent prices.

Some say Morellino is a Sangiovese clone; some say it is a special Sangiovese grape variety. Whatever, it is usually great stuff for less than what great Chianti sells. I think Baroncini Morellino might be widely available.

- HuckSawyer - 02-09-2006

Just last week we had a surprisingly nice experience with a Da Vinci DOCG Chianti (2004?), right in the neighborhood of $12 I believe at the notorious marker-uppers of Harris Teeter grocery. We've only enjoyed two bottles but in that range I'm quite satisfied! A couple more may demand a case purchase.

- VouvrayHead - 02-09-2006

di majo norante sangioveses is very good...
i think it's mostly organic, as well. around $10

- wdonovan - 02-10-2006

Thanks all. Already did the search before coming here. No references to the Antinori so I could compare styles. Got my wife on a seek and destroy for the Di Majo Norante. The store near her work also sells a Poggiotondo Chi Class that we'll try. I am already afraid that both these wines may be a heavier style than the Santa Cristina. I'm really looking for a light wine as a break from all the heavy stuff we drink. If we could afford a Cote d'Or once or twice a week, I'd be thrilled but alas.... Any suggestions on a different grape? BTW Beaujolais is not an option.

- hotwine - 02-10-2006

Switch grapes. Try a Dolcetto or new style Barbaresco. For the latter, we like the '01 Miliasso, less than $8 at Costco. (By "new style", I mean one that can be consumed in 4-5 years of vintage vs 10 or more for the oldies.)

- Thomas - 02-10-2006

If you can find Lagrein or Lacrima di Morro, try either one. Another one, from France, Bourgueil. All are lighter, rounder wines.

- VouvrayHead - 02-10-2006

That's a good suggestion, I like Stefano Farina for both. They make Dolcetto for around $8 that's very light, floral, and just really pleasant. They also make a nice little Barbera. I think their Barolo/Barbaresco are a lot more expensive.

- sikm3 - 02-23-2006

Di Majo Norante is excellent, and you can find it for as low as $6 if you live in a bigger city.

- barnesy - 02-23-2006

Carpineto Dogajolo is very nice for around $10 bucks. It is 80% san/20% Cab.

Barnesy

- wdonovan - 02-27-2006

Tried the Di Majo Norante last night with chicken Provencal (olives, lemon, garlic, sun-dried toms, et al). It is a lot more complex than the Santa Cristina. I think I'll go for a case and take a break from the Antinori. thx again.