WineBoard
Looking for sweet wine - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Looking for sweet wine (/thread-17761.html)

- mannaserve - 04-07-2000

I'm new to this wine business. Have not drank alcohol at all, but doc says wine may help my cholesteral issue, and I've read other things on the health benefits. Unfortunately, and I'm sure I'm in the minority here, I just don't like the taste of most wines. I remember years ago tasting a wine that tasted a lot like "soda pop" with just a little "zing" to it. I'm looking for a sweet wine. Any suggestions?

- jessie - 04-07-2000

I recently started drinking/appreciating wine, and the first one I tried was a California Gewurtztraminer - I can't recall the winery, but it was actually called a "New Gewurtz," so that might help. They're pretty sweet, light and a little spicy. It turned out to be a lovely introduction to wine, and I'm now fully enjoying the more fuller-bodied reds! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img] So, it might only be a matter of time...

The other thing I heard recently at a "Wines 101" class I took (they're very fun, BTW, if you have access to them!) was that sparkling wines shouldn't be overlooked, and the good ones can be very sweet and light.

I've also been told (but haven't confirmed by tasting yet) that Muscats and Late Harvest Reislings are also sweeter.

Good luck! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]
jessie

- Zinner - 04-09-2000

Jessie is very much on the right track.

The "New Gewurtz" is from Alexander Valley Vineyards in Sonoma County, Calif. It's a lovely wine that even those of us who have been drinking wine for quite a while usually appreciate. I served it once with a mild salad topped with strawberries and toasted macadamia nuts(strawberry dressing) and everyone loved it.

Asti Spumante is a sparkling wine that is sweetish and often beloved by beginners. Many new folks start with white zinfandel, but I began drinking wine with good German rieslings and can't recommend that route highly enough(they go with a variety of foods). Just avoid those with "trocken" or "halbtrocken" on the labels(if you want fruity sweetness) because that means dry-style. And don't make the mistake of thinking Liebfraumilch is riesling.

The Wines 101 class Jessie suggests is good advice and you might also check with local stores for tastings. You don't tell us where you are from, mannaserve, so it is hard for us to be as specific as we might be if we knew your location.

The Muscats and Late Harvest Rieslings that Jessie mentions are dessert wines and are often described as "honeyed" if that gives you an idea of what to expect. Although Muscat Canneli can be just lightly sweet.

There's a lot out there. Have fun exploring!

- joanndaniel - 04-19-2000

Hi. I'm from Chicago and also new to wines. I'm also interested in coming aquainted with some of the sweet versions. Any suggestios? Thanks. Joann

- Bucko - 04-19-2000

1998 King Estate, Pinot Gris, Vin Glace, Oregon, $18. Residual sugar 13.5%. Rich pear, apple and lime fruit, with enough acidity to brace the wine -- no syrupy palate feel. There is a very long lime and orange aftertaste.

1998 St. Supéry Moscato, California, $15, current release. There are lovely floral aromas, with appealing peach and mango flavors and residual sugar that is balanced with good acidity. This is a perfect picnic wine for a hot summer day.

1998 Columbia Crest, Semillon, Ice Wine, Columbia Valley, $28 (375 ml). Many US offerings come off cloying due to lack of acidity. This one breaks the mold. Very clean and crisp, with honey and fig aromas. Extremely concentrated and viscous, the wine tastes like pure pear nectar. This is a dessert unto itself. 22% residual sugar. Delicious.

Bucko

- Drew - 04-19-2000

Try a bottle of Hogue "Late Harvest" from the State of Washington. Sweet but balanced, desert type wine. Usually under $10 also!

- anna - 04-20-2000

I would second the recommendation on the Hogue Late Harvest Riesling -- at discount clubs you can find it for as low as $7.

Another one you might want to check out is Fetzer's Gewurtztraminer (that might be one of the "new Gewurtz"-type wines mentioned above). I find in in my grocery store for around $7 and serve it to people who don't normally drink wine -- I've had good reviews so far.

Good luck, and happy hunting!

- AVON Lady - 04-20-2000

When you said a "fizzy" wine, the first thing that popped into my mind was Vinho Verde. The first time I tasted it was in Portugal. It's a white wine, although the name means "green wine" and it has a bit of a fizz to it. The nicest I have tried is Casal Garcia and it's not very expensive which is nice since you're experimenting.

Kim

- travemed - 10-24-2000

Have any one interested in distributing Chilean Wines
I am representing my friends small wine yard and he specialize in Late Harvest.

Price is also great most likely un beliveable

- Garbo - 10-26-2000

Bonny Doon Muscat Vin de Glaciere. Yummy, and tastes kind of like pears... (They also have a seasonal fortified wine -- I can't remember the name -- that tastes like pumpkin pie. I know, I know, it isn't "real" wine, but it sure was deelish!)

- mrdutton - 10-26-2000

The original question was primarily concerned with the benefit of drinking wine to help control cholesteral.

The rest of this thread referred to sweet white wines. Well that's just fine, but it is the red wines, I believe, whose consumption helps control cholesteral levels more so than the whites.

Plus I am not all together convinced that one would want to consume sweet reds in pursuit of lowering cholesteral. I'd think the dry versions would be better suited for this. However, I am far from expert in this matter. Somewhere here there are some very good discussions on the subject..... I think in the Wine/Health Forum..........