WineBoard
KDerby Wines - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: KDerby Wines (/thread-17729.html)

- HuckSawyer - 05-08-2006

Hello again everyone, business has dragged me through several states and one awful chess match since early March and I simply haven't had time to (insert groan) do more than glug-the-grape and toss the cork!

Once back in the Old Dominion we had to tackle HUGE lawnmowing duties for two weeks bu finally were able to pause for a KDerby barbecue, first of the season. Figured I'd share simply because I have nothing else to contribute for two month's absence! One strip and one ribeye, two anduille's on the lump-char grill, a bottle of TC Shotfire 2003 Shiraz - still working that case down, just simply a wonderful experience - and the lady kept Derby pomp on ALL DAY via ESPN and then NBC's broad of the race.

Wow. Quality Time. We had nothing on hand for dessert so we enjoyed some Horton (Virginia) Rasperry Dessert wine and yelled at the NASCAR night-race like banshees. Yes, we're real role models. While the cars turned left we argued over the merits of flipping the Shotfire bottle upside down, carving cork, and making the thing into a bird feeder. Escalated into a true Nascar Infield brawl; she told me to get a job, I threatened to go upside her head, she shouted back that two pumps from a 10-gauge would blast the windshield out of my 1985 Camaro, and I moved the television out into the yard, kicked the old freezer over on its side, and set up shop.

(grumbling) . . . like I'm gonna let someone who steals my 1981 Dale Earnhardt Wrangler shirt and doesn't have the RESPECT to wear a bra underneath it . . . like I'm gonna let HER tell ME what to do in my own trailer. DON'T YOU COME OUT HERE AND HOLLER AT ME WOMAN I'LL TAKE THESE XMAS LIGHTS DOWN RIGHT NOW AND WRAP'M AROUND YOUR NECK.

Sweet Springtime!

Since the appeal of mint julips eludes me I figured I wasn't the only one who enjoyed a bottle or two over the Derby festivities. I always like to hear how other people partook on these occasions. Feel Free to share! Nice to see so many familiar names again.

-Robert

PS It's unlikely that the above "conversation" actually took place.

Unlikely.

Unlikely.

- Innkeeper - 05-08-2006

Welcome back Robert. No mint julips! What kind of Derby Day is that?

- redsauced - 05-08-2006

As an avid horseplayer and racehorse owner Derby Day is like Xmas for me. Even in California we break out the mint juleps and beef burgoo. After an afternoon of bourbon we top it off with a big Cali Cab. My pick (Bluegrass Cat) ran second 28.00 to place which triggered a 587.00 exacta with the winner. The winnings went right over to the bottle shop where the party guests were treated to a couple magnums of Ariston Aspasie Brut Prestige Champagne. Why does Champagne taste better by the magnum?

Safe to say this morning I have a tremendous headache. By the way, I own one racehorse, a filly called Francesca Slew. I'm getting a group together to buy a yearling which means we can name our horse. How about some name suggestions...........Mr. Bordeaux is already taken!

- Innkeeper - 05-08-2006

What no corn dogs!?

- HuckSawyer - 05-09-2006

If I'm tossing a name into the ring I would probably go with "Hopeful Crush" . . . of course I don't know how one would undergo a name-search for racehorses!

Best of luck with the investment.

-Robert

- wondersofwine - 05-09-2006

How about "Racy But Elegant" or "Balanced Power" (or "Streaming Beagle" as a take-off on Screaming Eagle)

- Kcwhippet - 05-09-2006

Robert,

All thoroughbred horse names have to be approved and registered with the Jockey Club. They maintain a registry of used names. I don't know if there's a charge for this, but I do know a horse can't race in a sanctioned event without a registered name.

Much like a band, song, or book title (boats too, and a corporate name as I found out in the initial stages)I figured there was some sort of redundancy procedure and registry.

-Robert

- wondersofwine - 05-09-2006

I even know an Army colonel who wrote a book about naming boats and whom you contact in each state to register the boat. He did quite a bit of research on it.

We spend a week or so per year in New Bern, North Carolina (Boat Country!) and are amazed at the places the boats are sometimes "registered".

As in, Iowa. Just imagine a sailboat in Iowa. Colorado, too.

Iowa, the Sailboating Capitol of the World!

- redsauced - 05-09-2006

Cabernet (2000)
Cabernet Dance (1989)
Cabernet Fox (2003)
Cabernet Franc (2002)
Cabernet Lady (1995)
Cabernet Lassie (2001)
Cabernet Queen (1993)
Cabernet Red (1998)

All taken, searching Merlot......., scratch that....Syrah

- Kcwhippet - 05-09-2006

Used to live in New Bern. Many moons ago.

- Innkeeper - 05-09-2006

Bev's Aunt Irene Grady live in New Bern; right on the river.

- HuckSawyer - 05-10-2006

Hilton Head Island was a favorite until they overbuilt the place in the mid-90's. The lady in camp likes St Simons & Jekyll.

But New Bern is my true love, since we started vacationing there in the late 70's when I was a kid. Intra-Coastal Waterway is captivating, the "old" town and gardens along the water, and I have never seen so many people smile (my sister maintains that the friendliest town/city on Earth is Portland Oregon, but I haven't been there).

I've watched New Bern decline in the 80's and rebound in the 90's and everything about it and the surrounding environs is revitalized . . . can anyone who has been there believe they are building new condominiums along the Sheraton/Convention Waterfront for $300K ?

Nice to see there are others who know something of New Bern/Tri-County. Sorry to take up space on a Wine Board with it!

Viva Craven Street!

-Robert

- Thomas - 05-10-2006

redsauced,

How about one of these names:

Winning Nose
Middle Palate
Fruit Forward
Sweet Tannin
Vintage of the Century

- winoweenie - 05-10-2006

IMHO the name "Gross Sediment" makes sense for most nags. I was the proud owner of 17 on the Florida circuit and they darned near bankrupt me. The picture in the winners circle 'haint woth the price. WW

- redsauced - 05-10-2006

WW,

More like Barn Sour. In my heyday I had 7 for a very good trainer, so we did ok. Won a couple of stakes races at Hollywood Park. The taxbreak is nice when you lose as well. For me the Winners Circle Photos are wondeful. The real problem is that the Turf Club here has crap wine, and does not allow outside bottles. I once brought in Kistler in a flask. Yes, I'm all class.

I'm still going on with the Yearling plan. Thanks for the cool names Foodie.