WineBoard
Zinfandel - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Zinfandel (/thread-17700.html)

- sharon001 - 07-07-2005

This is a purely theoretical question, because I live in Paris now, but I have never tasted zinfandel (red or white). From what I've gleaned, red is considered interesting, while white zinfandel is to wine as bridesmaids' dresses are to tasteful attire.

So, the red variety: is it worth the detour, as Michelin guides put it? That is, should I try to discover it, on pain of paying transatlantic prices? Or can I console myself with, say, a little Côte Rôtie or Bandol or some Clos de Vougeot?

- Drew - 07-07-2005

Sharon, you have to try it, it's a wonderful wine unlike any other....IMHO.

Drew

- dananne - 07-07-2005

I agree -- Zins are unique, often interesting, and very tasty. They are considerably jammy, juicy, spicy, and upfront when young, though they can even age a little bit, lending them some subtlety. Some people like them one way, some the other. Either way, just neat stuff.

Speaking of Zins, I just saw a Martinelli Zin with an alcohol % of something like 17.4%. How in the blazes does that even happen? Is that even legal? What qualifies for a dessert or fortified wine? This is a table wine, for crying out loud!

- sharon001 - 07-08-2005

Ah. Now I really want to try it. (Though perhaps not one with 17% alcohol...) Better on the young side, you would say?

- Kcwhippet - 07-08-2005

Dan, When wineries state the alcohol content of their wine, they're allowed a margin of error of 1.5% +/-. So, the wine could conceivably be as much as 18.9%!

- winoweenie - 07-08-2005

So I'm not the only one who gets 96 when trying to post the percentage sign. Must be something Jackie's put on the master cylinder or whatever the thingee's called that does it. Hallelugah...Now I see. WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- wineguruchgo - 07-08-2005

winoweenie,

It think it's an inkblot test that you are seeing with %. I didn't see 96 until you mentioned it.

Sharon,

If you can find a Zinfandel over there it's definately worth trying.

- Innkeeper - 07-08-2005

Since it's been decades since I walked into a Parisian wine shop, I'm only guessing; but it may be easier to find an Italian Primitivo over there. It is the same grape, but made in a different style; sort of like the Syrah/Shiraz thing.

- Kcwhippet - 07-08-2005

ww, I see a big difference between % and 96. Are the eyes the third thing?

- wondersofwine - 07-08-2005

Dananne, I had a Biale Black Chicken Zin with 16.7% alcohol and yet it tasted balanced and fruity (not overly hot).
Sharon, you probably aren't going to like all Zinfandels and since you may be paying a premium for them in France, I would suggest maybe trying to secure a bottle of Ridge Lytton Springs. It is a blended wine with Zinfandel as the majority grape (some Carignan, etc.) but is something of a benchmark or standard for zins. It seems to be wonderful year after year and is one to enjoy at three years of age or ten or more years.

- jmcginley1 - 07-10-2005

I second the recomendation of the "Ridge Lytton Springs" Zin. Year after year, this is killer juice. Zinfandel is truely a unique grape. I love it, and it goes wonderfully with the peppercorn-encrusted steaks I am often grilling during these warm summer days.

A word of warning. Stay away from the white Zins. They are typically sweet, poorly made wines. the red zin is the powerhouse you want to be looking for.

- sharon001 - 07-11-2005

I will see what is available around here. I have to say, though, that those alcohol levels are pretty daunting! Already, 13.5% (as in the not bad/could have been better Clos Vougeot I had Friday evening) seems heavy...

- winoweenie - 07-11-2005

Sharon you'll find because of the tremendous fruit levela in most Zins vs. Burgandies the alc level is balanced. WW

- jv38 - 07-16-2005

IMHO. Zinfandel is great. It can be your everyday wine or your one of a kind star. There are so many styles that you can have a different one every day for month and not get tired... but I'm a Zinner... On the other hand if I had the access to an incredible amount of french wines (or spaniard or italian for that matter...) I would be in paradise.