WineBoard
local winery - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: local winery (/thread-17629.html)

- winophite - 09-30-2006

I recently attended my first winery "new release" tasting/vinyard tour. Granted it was here in small town Indiana, but it was in my humble opinion really well done. I was just wondering if any of you have heard of or tried wines from Oliver vinyards and how you might think they compare with more famous producers. It seemed like the majority of their wines were sweet, to meet the tastes of most hoosiers,(although I tend toward dryer types). Well just was curious, thanks.

- VouvrayHead - 09-30-2006

I haven't had any Oliver wines, but I've had a lot of wine from the Mid-west.
In general they aren't as complex as wines from more famous regions, but that doesn't mean there's not some good things.
If you like dry red, I'd recommend you drive around to the local wineries and look for a Norton, also called Cynthiana. All of the best dry reds in the mid-west I've had come from this grape.

One in particular, Mt. Pleasant just outside of St. Louis, makes one that is simply outstanding wine. Taste profile of blue fruits with some spice and a quite sturdy body. Next time I'm in St. Louis I'll get a bottle and post tasting notes.

I've also had some good vintage ports from the area.

- dananne - 10-01-2006

Agree with Vouvray about the Norton/Cynthiana. Over the border from you in Illinois is a little winery called Mary Michelle that makes a nice one, and as V said, several Missouri wineries make good ones.

I'm not surprised that some folks are doing a good job in Indiana, though -- Indiana had at one time a pretty thriving industry before Prohibition.

- Innkeeper - 10-02-2006

Had some Oliver wines many moons ago along with wome other Hoosier wines provided by Herr Oliver hisself at the Fort BH O-club. We were, at that time, interested in getting some local wine into the now defunct Bunker Hill AFB package store and clubs. They did and did a lively business with them up till when the base closed. As far as I can remember most of those we tasted were excellent. They were all dry or very slightly off dry.

- Greyraptor - 10-09-2006

I was delighted to see reference to the Norton! I had never heard of this type of grape until I went to Horton vineyards in Virgina recently. A very delicious wine. I bought a bottle and am saving it for Thanksgiving dinner this year. Does anyone know if the Norton should be consumed young or can it cellar for any length of time?

- jasonconnors - 10-09-2006

I have tried the Oliver wines in the past and really enjoyed them. It's been a while so maybe it's about time to enjoy one again.

[This message has been edited by team (edited 10-09-2006).]

- VouvrayHead - 10-09-2006

GreyRaptor,

I've had some that could take bottle age, and others that couldn't.
Best bet would be to call the winery and ask...
I bet it would be fantastic with a Thanksgiving dinner!

[This message has been edited by VouvrayHead (edited 10-09-2006).]

- dananne - 10-09-2006

We often pop a Norton for Thanksgiving -- seems fitting for the American holiday!

We've had a 9-year old Norton that had held up very well, and we're cracking one this T-giving that has 6 years on it. Others, as has been said, don't age as well. Ask the winery or make a best bet based on experience with the particular wine. Horton is a good producer, and we had a 9-year old Malbec from them in '04 that was quite nice. However, I'd suggest as a rule of thumb not to go over 3-5 years. From my experience, after that point the "gamy" flavors begin to challenge the fruit, and they can become an acquired taste.