WineBoard
Looking for the right wine - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Looking for the right wine (/thread-17610.html)

- Heerter - 02-11-2004

hello, I'm a college student looking for advice from experienced wine afficianados. The question sounds strange, but here goes:
Which wine would go best with spaghettios? I was thinking maybe a pinot grigio, but I'm not sure. Keep in mind spaghettios contain cheese as well as pasta in tomato sauce. It might sound like an inane question, but really, what could be more romantic than spaghettios and wine (especially the right wine)? And, my purposes are romantic. I appreciate the help.
-Josh

- sedhed - 02-12-2004

Chef-Boy-Ardee?

- winoweenie - 02-12-2004

HJi Heerter and welcome to the board. My personal prefernces would be a nice simple Chianti Classico or a fruity Zinfandel like Clines' California bottling. Good luck you romantic devil. WW

- Thomas - 02-12-2004

Forgive me--but what is spaghettio? Is it canned, boxed, an American regional idea of Italian food?

- PinotEnvy - 02-12-2004

Actually Sed, they are made by Franco American.

Also, I am not sure if it influences the reccomendation, but are your Os meatless, the ones with hotdogs or meatballs?

- Thomas - 02-12-2004

Hotdogs! I suppose I don't wanna know what these things are...

- quijote - 02-12-2004

Heerter, if your request is serious (and not a troll), and if you have access to a kitchen, why not pay a couple of dollars more for some real pasta, a jar of Classico sauce, and a chunk of parm cheese? Much better than overprocessed and overcooked canned food.

- sedhed - 02-12-2004

If this is a serious post, I suggest a jug of Inglenook Burgundy. You can buy a 4 LTR bottle for about $11.00; it goes with anything and you can proably get at least 4 meals out of it.

- amw5g - 02-12-2004

Spaghetti-Os are a comfort food for recent generations like meatloaf was for previous. In my book, they're every bit as satisfying as any other pasta dish you could buy from a store or even many restaurants. I had to have them (w/ meatballs) when my wisdom teeth were removed many moons ago.
I'd suggest maybe a quaffable Aussi Shiraz. I'm not a huge fan of whites, so wouldn't get a pinot grigio myself. I'll second the recommendation for a Chianti Classico, but again look for hearty yet simple. This is comfort food, not let's-guess-the-nuances food.
-Andrew

- tandkvd - 02-13-2004

Foodie, you must of had a deprived childhood if you haven't heard of Spaghettios. My wife bought some the other day for the kids. I couldn't help but have a can myself.

I agree with amw5g, Shiraz would be good or mabey a Barbera.

I like hotdogs in mine.

- winoweenie - 02-13-2004

Guys you must forgive Foodie as he's led a VERY sheltered live in NY. His Italian roots make even the idea of canned pasta likened to one of the mortal sins. WW [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- Thomas - 02-13-2004

ww got that right. But then, anything that comes out of a can generally makes me want to run...

- Innkeeper - 02-13-2004

Gee, I would swear there was a recent Foodie recipe that called for a "can" of black beans.

- Thomas - 02-13-2004

only for those who don't grow their own--like I do...

- Heerter - 02-22-2004

Thank you all and yes, it was a serious post. As it turns out, though, she has had a revulsion to spaghettios since she was a child (I can't imagine why; maybe she got sick on them years ago). Your comments have been helpful- I think I'll pick up some chianti classico and follow quijote's advice and make real pasta. So thanks all. And if there are still individuals on the board who have never tried spaghettios (and have access to them, i.e., live in the US) before, I can only suggest you give them a try. I find it hard to be in a bad mood when I've got a bowl of warm spaghettios. Thanks for the advice,
-Heerter

- mrdutton - 02-22-2004

Ravi-ol-eos is what I like along with a fine chianti and some fava beans!