WineBoard
Several Newbee Questions - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Several Newbee Questions (/thread-17522.html)

- Jack-Tar - 09-23-2007

About all I realy know about wine is that it is made from grapes and that there is red and white. I am blessed to be living in Naples Italy and will be here for another couple of years. There are more small vinyard/no label table wines here than anyone can count. I think every resteraunt owner has a family member that makes wine.
Now for the questions, is a "table" wine worth keeping or would we be better served by just drinking it? If we save a wine how do you determin when it is in it's prime? Is there a particular wine or vintage from this region that I should an eye out for? I have an Italian friend that goes to Tuscany every week. Is there anything particular that I shoul ask him to look for?
Also, I was given a bottle of Brut Imperial "Moet & Chandon" champagne. Is this a special interest champagne or is it run of the mill? I got it for Christams from my neighbor. Should I save it or find a special event as a reason to open it?

Thanks Everyone,

Jack

- wineguruchgo - 09-23-2007

Hello Jack! What a wonderful place to live, I'm jealous!

"Table wine" is made locally and yes, everyone and their brother are winemakers in Italy. These wines are not made to age, they are made to enjoy while they are relatively young.

As far as wines from Tuscany there are so many awesome wines from that region. For everyday drinking wines I would ask him to bring you back Chianti. If you are looking for special occasion wines (Christmas)I would ask him to bring you back a bottle or two of Brunello. I describe Brunello as "an iron fist wrapped in a velvet glove". There are very few wines smoother than Brunello.

With regard to the Moet, that is a nice bottle of wine. If you are going to keep it for a special occasion I would definately refrigerate it so it doesn't lose it's bubbles!

I'm sure others will respond to this post as well.

Ciao!

- Innkeeper - 09-23-2007

Jack, don't fall in love with any Italian wines, even those with labels on them, because we only get about 10% of what's bottled there here in the states.

We learned when travelling there and advise others going there to simply ask for Rosso when red is appropriate and Bianco when white is. When unsure ask for Rosato.

- wdonovan - 09-24-2007

"...With regard to the Moet, that is a nice bottle of wine. If you are going to keep it for a special occasion I would definately refrigerate it so it doesn't lose it's bubbles!..."

Huh? I don't get it. How can the fridge save the bubbles?

- wineguruchgo - 09-24-2007

Because bubbles are actually CO2, which is a gas,they keep better in cooler temperatures.

It's the same principal as Hydrogen Peroxide. You should be keeping that in the fridge also.